DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Uk leaving EASA

deano1

Reactions
On 1st July 2020 the UK drone license will convert over to the new EASA A2 cofc or GVC effectively killing off the Pfco currently issued by the CAA and now it has been announced that on 1st Jan 2021 the UK will be taking back control of aviation safety in the UK as part of the brexit negotiations and this will be controlled by the CAA. Does this then mean that all commercial drone operators in the UK will then have to reapply for a Pfco or pay to convert from an A2 cofc or GVC having had to do this 6mth previous? What the ( Mod Removed Langage)is going on? Is it worth changing over on July 1st or just keeping a current Pfco active ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: old man mavic
On 1st July 2020 the UK drone license will convert over to the new EASA A2 cofc or GVC effectively killing off the Pfco currently issued by the CAA and now it has been announced that on 1st Jan 2021 the UK will be taking back control of aviation safety in the UK as part of the brexit negotiations and this will be controlled by the CAA. Does this then mean that all commercial drone operators in the UK will then have to reapply for a Pfco or pay to convert from an A2 cofc or GVC having had to do this 6mth previous? What the ( Mod Removed Langage)is going on? Is it worth changing over on July 1st or just keeping a current Pfco active ?
i believe that with the initial adoption of the EASA rules in july then the Pfco is gone ,we can only speculate ,what will happen to the rules for drones after the 1st of Jan next year i see no point in talking about something,that does not exist at this point in time ,what the government and the CAA decide to do,after we leave EASA ,will be conveyed to us when the time comes,it just means that we will be free to make our own rules on airspace use in the UK

There's a bit of discussion on this here, but in short - no one seems to know. It's the usual scenario from the current shambles of a government - lots of "we're going to do this" but no "and this is how we're going to do it".

If you already have a PfCO then it's supposed to be transfered into a CofC automatically come July, but the situation for getting qualified in the interim, let alone the point of doing any GVCs at upwards of £1000 once all costs are included, is now much more murky, and the initial reaction from those that are going to be provide the training has been decided negative. They've just put a lot of effort into getting into a position to offer and administer the new courses, and now people are not sure if they are worth doing.

If you've been holding out on a PfCO on the grounds that all you need from July is an A2 CofC then I guess it depends on what that's going to be worth to you. You'd have been waiting until nearer July before you could do the test anyway, so there's a (probably very slim) chance of some more clarity by then. A CAP with more info from the CAA seems likely at some point, it's anyone's guess when, or what it might contain. If you have a business that requires that you hold a PfCO/A2 CofC then it's a no-brainer I'd have thought; you're just going to have to get the current certificate regardless and if it become useless then you'll need to get the replacement as well since the alternative would be not to be able to fly legally except in the open category.

FWIW, I was planning on booking an A2 CofC, and potentially reserving a place on a GVC as well, hopefully with some additional discounts, while at the Photography Show this weekend. Well, that's not happening since the show has been postponed, and with this latest announcement it's moot anyway. I'm certainly not going to be booking any training courses/exams until I get confirmation that they're going to worth the paper they are written on (and unlike some, I'm not yet that desperate for toilet paper either! :rolleyes: ). Barring some additional clarity, my current plan is to fly in the open category from July (which should cover most of my flights anyway) or until I have enough justification that having the CofC and any GVC are going to pay for themselves.

My guess is that since the EASA regs. are going to on the UK's statute books come July, they'll just revert to being the "CAA's regs" in January, or whenever it is we actually leave - I'm totally expecting delays given that Covid19 is likely to disrupt negotiations and act as a convenient excuse for Boris going back on his word (again). Basically, grandfathered in like all the other EU laws we currently have on the books - they just become subject to us potentially amending them once we leave. After that, I suspect the CAA is going to be *far* too preoccupied with re-establishing an ability to handle all the work that was previously handled by EASA to be bothered about drones, so I'd expect the EASA rules to stand, pretty much as-is, for the foreseeable future.

EDIT: fixed link to other thread that didn't embed for some reason.

Last edited:
@zocalo very good reply to the OP, its the old, how long is a piece of string conundrum,we will just have to wait and see what transpires

i believe that with the initial adoption of the EASA rules in july then the Pfco is gone ,we can only speculate ,what will happen to the rules for drones after the 1st of Jan next year i see no point in talking about something,that does not exist at this point in time ,what the government and the CAA decide to do,after we leave EASA ,will be conveyed to us when the time comes,it just means that we will be free to make our own rules on airspace use in the UK

The point is that having the same rules, regs and qualifications in the UK as the rest of the EU means you would be able to take your drone across the EU to fly it. And know what the rules are. This is especially useful for commercial flyers. Different rules and qualifications means UK flyers are not going to be able to fly/work in Europe without additional paperwork and or qualifications.

There is a hell of a lot of UK legislation that is going to need amending anyway without making differences just for the sake of it. Last night at the briefing for the Local Council Elections in May (corona virus permitting) we found some anomalies on who can stand that have not been amended. So EU citizens are eligible to be elected as UK councillors this year and be in post for the next three years!! Despite the fact the UK left the EU 2 months ago. There are going to be lots of other areas of legislation that are going to need tidying up as a matter of urgency. Therefore insisting on not harmonising on EASA rules as planed and wrting our own UK set seems a retrograde step simply for the sake of dogma.

The point is that having the same rules, regs and qualifications in the UK as the rest of the EU means you would be able to take your drone across the EU to fly it. And know what the rules are. This is especially useful for commercial flyers. Different rules and qualifications means UK flyers are not going to be able to fly/work in Europe without additional paperwork and or qualifications.

There is a hell of a lot of UK legislation that is going to need amending anyway without making differences just for the sake of it. Last night at the briefing for the Local Council Elections in May (corona virus permitting) we found some anomalies on who can stand that have not been amended. So EU citizens are eligible to be elected as UK councillors this year and be in post for the next three years!! Despite the fact the UK left the EU 2 months ago. There are going to be lots of other areas of legislation that are going to need tidying up as a matter of urgency. Therefore insisting on not harmonising on EASA rules as planed and wrting our own UK set seems a retrograde step simply for the sake of dogma.
@jagraphics i am in no way saying that the EASA rules on drones will end in 2021 or that the UK will make any new rules,but no one can be certain that things won't changes, so we can speculate as much as we like or wait and see

@jagraphics i am in no way saying that the EASA rules on drones will end in 2021 or that the UK will make any new rules,but no one can be certain that things won't changes, so we can speculate as much as we like or wait and see

I agree but "wait and see" is a hell of a way to run a business. Try it on your Bank, HMRC or the work force when they ask if they will have jobs next year.

Last night at the Election briefing just highlighted that if a t is not crossed or an i dotted on some legislation it is going to cause problems.

I agree but "wait and see" is a hell of a way to run a business. Try it on your Bank, HMRC or the work force when they ask if they will have jobs next year.

Last night at the Election briefing just highlighted that if a t is not crossed or an i dotted on some legislation it is going to cause problems.
i am not a Pfco holder,so my comments are only based on flying as a hobbyist,i have every sympathy for you and other Pfco holders as to what the future holds for all drone flyers, but despite all that it is just not possible to say what will happen in 2021

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctiptonk