DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video Editing Software

I have been shooting one step down from 4k on the Mavic (3820 x 2xxxx) at 30 fps which looks better on monitors. 2.7k was looking good as well but the higher resolution allows me to do synthetic zoom in my video editor. Nice to be able to do that. If you are not familiar with that google "4k zoom" for your editor. Most I think can do that.

Reactions: TraysUp and Frits
It seems the general consensus is not to do D-Log but Art for doing your own color grading. The difference is pretty apparent. On the Mavic, D-Log doesnt have the depth available. And the latest firmware has degraded it even more. Art is allowing better results.

I shot this with a friend of mine - he wanted to get his hands on a Mavic and test out the different modes. He ended up liking Art at -1,0,0, and it looks like I will be moving over to that as well. I am also going to be shooting in 2.7k rather than 4k. Youtube just doesn't stream out 4k well enough. And then, while the 4k monitors are on the rise, the average user isn't streaming in 4k anyway because their connections wont support it. There are other reasons (data stream from the chip is only 60mbps which is barely the minimum for 4k) as well. Besides,

As to what to use, it is going to be hard to beat DaVinci Resolve for its price. iMovie, if I remember, doesn't support 4K (it has been a while since I even opened it, so could easily be misinformed) so there is no real point in it.

Thank you for this, much appreciated!
I have read elsewhere also that Art looks real good with Mavic footage.
I will try it out once I get the hang of the basics (I see where to select Art in the GO app, but haven't figured out yet where to enter -1,0,0 - I'll find out though!).
Agreed on 2.7K, I had found that most practical also. I have a 27" iMac 5K, but I understand that for now it is more practical to use 2.7K for wider enjoyment.

The footage you shared certainly shows outstanding colours!

Frits

Reactions: WolfgangStiller
I have been shooting one step down from 4k on the Mavic (3820 x 2xxxx) at 30 fps which looks better on monitors. 2.7k was looking good as well but the higher resolution allows me to do synthetic zoom in my video editor. Nice to be able to do that. If you are not familiar with that google "4k zoom" for your editor. Most I think can do that.
Thank you Wolfgang, that sounds interesting. One more thing to check!

Earlier this year I built a new Windows PC for 4K video editing. Components include:

1. Thermaltake Core V71 case (has 4x 200mm fans and 5x 120mm fans)
2. Thermaltake Touchpower TPD-0750M power supply
3. Asus x99-Pro/USB 3.1 motherboard
4. Intel 6-core i7-5820K over-clockable CPU
5. Corsair H100i GTX water cooling system for CPU
6. G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200
7. EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Hybrid Gaming GPU (water cooled)
8. Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB PCIe SSD (main boot, OS and programs)
9. WD Black 6TB HD's for image and video storage -- two of them
10. LG Electronics 14X SATA Blu-ray internal rewiter
11. Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Desktop -- wifi mouse and keyboard
12. Windows 10.

I have it over-clocked but not pushing it. Max clock is 4.4GHz so about 15% overall performance increase over default settings. I did not want to push things and risk reliability of noise.

Brian
Hey Brian, that's a great machine you built. Mind me asking where do you get your components and how much it ended up costing you?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N910T using MavicPilots mobile app

Hey Brian, that's a great machine you built. Mind me asking where do you get your components and how much it ended up costing you?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N910T using MavicPilots mobile app

Sorry for the late reply, but most of the ites were purchased through Amazon, but a couple were purchased through Newegg. The total for the PC not counting the monitor was a bit over $3K.

Brian

Anybody familiar with Camtasia, by TechSmith? I use several of their products, have Adobe Premier, but editing and adding effects/color correction is so easy with Camtasia. When I say easy, I mean all it takes is to drag the tool/effect you want to use right on to the video clip. Even things like drop shadow! If anyone has used Camtasia, I'd be interested in your feedback on how it compares to other editors. I really haven't done much with any of them, yet.

Wow, lots of guys on Macs in here.

Thanks for the heads up! I just downloaded the trial of Premiere Elements 15 last night, so I guess I'll try that out first. I'll definitely give Vegas Movie Studio 13 Platinum a try though, seems like the internets generally say Vegas works a bit better.
How is/was your progress with Premiere Elements 15?

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Mavic Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Mavic quadcopter’s.

I use a Mac (never owned a Windows based PC) so YMMV
While I do have the Adobe suite of tools I am not that adept in using them as they require a lot of training to use them proficiently so I tend to use Final Cut Pro for most everything.

I need to edit a documentary with Mavic 4K and SONY xavc 25p 4k.
I am a mac user essentially final cut since 1.2.
If you had to buy something mac now to edit 4K what will be your choice and why?
Thanks for your help if you can

Reactions: Frits
I need to edit a documentary with Mavic 4K and SONY xavc 25p 4k.
I am a mac user essentially final cut since 1.2.
If you had to buy something mac now to edit 4K what will be your choice and why?
Thanks for your help if you can
I would hands down use Davinci Resolve.
Reason: Very complete, powerful and...FREE!
Almost $ 1,000 for professional studio use (multi user function and a few more), but free with just about full functionality otherwise.

It is fairly demanding on your machine. It works beautifully and efficiently on my high-spec iMac 5K, but it struggles some on my MacBook Pro Retina.

Reactions: debric france
I would hands down use Davinci Resolve.
Reason: Very complete, powerful and...FREE!
Almost $ 1,000 for professional studio use (multi user function and a few more), but free with just about full functionality otherwise.

It is fairly demanding on your machine. It works beautifully and efficiently on my high-spec iMac 5K, but it struggles some on my MacBook Pro Retina.

Ok thank you,
So on IMac 4 or 5K with lots of ram and what kind of intern hard drive?

Ok thank you,
So on IMac 4 or 5K with lots of ram and what kind of intern hard drive?
Well, my iMac is 5K, 27" (late 2014) with a 4GHz Intel Core i7, 24 GB ram, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4G Graphics processor and a 1 TB fusion drive.
For video, which is pretty memory intensive, I download and process on an external SSD. Lightning fast and avoid massive read-write on the internal drive. I store on my internal drive only once all done with processing and delivered to a final movie.

Last edited:
Well, my iMac is 5K, 27" (late 2014) with a 4GHz Intel Core i7, 24 GB ram, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4G Graphics processor and a 1 TB fusion drive.
For video, which is pretty memory intensive, I download and process on an external SSD. Lightning fast and avoid massive read-write on the internal drive. I store on my internal drive only once all done with processing and delivered to a final movie.

Glad the IMac can handle 4K and thanks with the advice of external one about your external ssd What is the brand?

Glad the IMac can handle 4K and thanks with the advice of external one about your external ssd What is the brand?
It is the original 256GB SSD of my MacBook Pro. I changed it out for a 1TB SSD and put the original SSD in an enclosure with an USB3 connection - voilà!

Anybody using Resolve or Premiere Pro with on a MS Surface Book 2?
If so, I would be interested to know how well it runs. I am looking to replace a 3 year old Surface Pro 3 i5/8/256GB which struggles with Premier Pro. It works but is so slow that I find it to much of a chore. Has to be a PC for me and mobile. When at home I have a 34" screen to hook it up to.

I am specifically interested to know if either PPro or Resolve gain any noticeable benefit from the MS SB2 15" variants on board 1060 Graphics. If not, I can look at the cheaper SB2 13" or various other PC notebooks.

LumaFusion from the App Store and an 12.5” iPad Pro. Everything you need.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61