DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video Editing Software

I have another Mac friend who does all his editing in ScreenFlow. $99 and it even does excellent job at green screen.

After Effects for individual sequences and Premiere for audio and final sequence.

My fiance is a designer and it comes with her Creative Cloud subscription...I don't know that I would pay for it otherwise since I am just a hobbyist.

After Effects for individual sequences and Premiere for audio and final sequence.

My fiance is a designer and it comes with her Creative Cloud subscription...I don't know that I would pay for it otherwise since I am just a hobbyist.

Premiere Pro by itself is $19.99USD/month and Aftereffects is another $19.99USD/month. In fact, every Adobe app except Photoshop/Lightroom are $19.99USD/month. But, if you get multiple programs the full suite is $49.99USD/month so for me using Photoshop/Lightroom and Premiere Pro the total comes to just about $30.month so if I add anything else I might as well get the full suite.

I like PP and find it to be a very good cutter, maybe even the best, though not the best at color work.

Brian

I can say this: I simply downloaded/installed Premiere Elements last night, and opened the program. Just when the initial splash page was open, not even the full editor, it was making my system a bit laggy. Granted, it's not the newest system (two GTX260's in SLI, Q9550 processor at 3.6GHz, 8GB RAM) and I'll be rebuilding shortly, but it should be decent enough to run this. I don't have issues processing 20MB+ RAW photos in Lightroom at all. If I see lag issues in Premiere, I'll be trying Vegas earlier than I planned.
Your system sounds fine for photos, but video, especially 4k video, requires a lot more horsepower. Most of the video editing suites will have recommendations on the minimum configuration (never go with the minimum) to operate. Get a feel for the general hardware requirements and then double the minimum recommendation. Its more expensive for the build, but you will be much happier later.

Adobe Suite - Adobe Premiere Pro you do need a decent system.

I just purchased a laptop that does a fantastic job from ASUS.

Intel i7-6700HQ Quad Core Processor
32GB DDR4 RAM with 1 TB SSD + 1TB 7200rpm Hard Disk Drive
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 Graphics Card

The thing is awesome it weighs just over 4 pounds and is less than an inch thick..

It is probably one of the fastest laptops available for video work. Was 1699.00 with my discount. Pretty much the Mavic of laptops. The only thing it doesn't have is a native lightening connection.

Adobe Suite - Adobe Premiere Pro you do need a decent system.

I just purchased a laptop that does a fantastic job from ASUS.

Intel i7-6700HQ Quad Core Processor
32GB DDR4 RAM with 1 TB SSD + 1TB 7200rpm Hard Disk Drive
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 Graphics Card

The thing is awesome it weighs just over 4 pounds and is less than an inch thick..

It is probably one of the fastest laptops available for video work. Was 1699.00 with my discount. Pretty much the Mavic of laptops. The only thing it doesn't have is a native lightening connection.

Did you get the ROG or Zenbook?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As a Windows user, I have gotten good results with Black Magic Design's Resolve. They have a free version which I am using.

Did you get the ROG or Zenbook?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ROG

I actually swapped up to a system with 3 hard drives. 1ssd , 2nvme, 64GB Ram DDR 4 Ram, 6820 processor and GTX1070 8GB video card. I wanted a larger screen. Also has lightening connector and card reader and a bunch of USB 3 connectors.

Last edited:
Earlier this year I built a new Windows PC for 4K video editing. Components include:

1. Thermaltake Core V71 case (has 4x 200mm fans and 5x 120mm fans)
2. Thermaltake Touchpower TPD-0750M power supply
3. Asus x99-Pro/USB 3.1 motherboard
4. Intel 6-core i7-5820K over-clockable CPU
5. Corsair H100i GTX water cooling system for CPU
6. G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200
7. EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Hybrid Gaming GPU (water cooled)
8. Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB PCIe SSD (main boot, OS and programs)
9. WD Black 6TB HD's for image and video storage -- two of them
10. LG Electronics 14X SATA Blu-ray internal rewiter
11. Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Desktop -- wifi mouse and keyboard
12. Windows 10.

I have it over-clocked but not pushing it. Max clock is 4.4GHz so about 15% overall performance increase over default settings. I did not want to push things and risk reliability of noise.

Brian

Earlier this year I built a new Windows PC for 4K video editing. Components include:

1. Thermaltake Core V71 case (has 4x 200mm fans and 5x 120mm fans)
2. Thermaltake Touchpower TPD-0750M power supply
3. Asus x99-Pro/USB 3.1 motherboard
4. Intel 6-core i7-5820K over-clockable CPU
5. Corsair H100i GTX water cooling system for CPU
6. G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200
7. EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Hybrid Gaming GPU (water cooled)
8. Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB PCIe SSD (main boot, OS and programs)
9. WD Black 6TB HD's for image and video storage -- two of them
10. LG Electronics 14X SATA Blu-ray internal rewiter
11. Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Desktop -- wifi mouse and keyboard
12. Windows 10.

I have it over-clocked but not pushing it. Max clock is 4.4GHz so about 15% overall performance increase over default settings. I did not want to push things and risk reliability of noise.

Brian
This is a real nice setup. Should be perfect.. How many cores are you running on the 5820..? More cores faster encode

Total newbie question here, but is there editing software or an app that will automatically take several video files and synchronize them to the beat of an audio file? You know kinda like you commonly see youtubers doing.

but is there editing software or an app that will automatically take several video files and synchronize them to the beat of an audio file? .
Lol...not that I know of..

Lol...not that I know of..
Why is that funny? I've just never had a need to do such a thing but thought it might be fun to try something like that out after I get my Mavic. So I just did a google search and the first thing that popped up was Adobe Premiere Clip. It seems to do exactly what I was asking about. I thought there must be software that could do this since I have a hard time believing people like iJustine are spending hours on end everyday trying to sync all of there vlogs to music. Anybody use Premiere Clip or something similar? Video editing app for iOS, Android | Adobe Premiere Clip

Why is that funny? I've just never had a need to do such a thing but thought it might be fun to try something like that out after I get my Mavic. So I just did a google search and the first thing that popped up was Adobe Premiere Clip. It seems to do exactly what I was asking about. I thought there must be software that could do this since I have a hard time believing people like iJustine are spending hours on end everyday trying to sync all of there vlogs to music. Anybody use Premiere Clip or something similar? Video editing app for iOS, Android | Adobe Premiere Clip
Well that's interesting I guess you learn something everyday.

Back to square one for me.
I am an avid photographer and made the switch to digital in its early days. I consider myself to be quite advanced in digital processing and all that goes with it.
Never shot film really, other than toying around some with a GoPro. so here I go again learning from the square "GO".
Now with the Mavic I am very motivated to get the best movie quality I can reasonably get. At the same time I am an amateur and I don't really want to spend lots on software at this point (maybe later).
I have been toying some with DaVinci Resolve (very impressive) and also with iMovie (Mac user here).
I am not far from taking the plunge to shooting D-Log and do my own color grading and I lean towards just using Resolve at this point.

Any general pointers for this movie-processing newbie are most welcome!

Frits

It seems the general consensus is not to do D-Log but Art for doing your own color grading. The difference is pretty apparent. On the Mavic, D-Log doesnt have the depth available. And the latest firmware has degraded it even more. Art is allowing better results.

I shot this with a friend of mine - he wanted to get his hands on a Mavic and test out the different modes. He ended up liking Art at -1,0,0, and it looks like I will be moving over to that as well. I am also going to be shooting in 2.7k rather than 4k. Youtube just doesn't stream out 4k well enough. And then, while the 4k monitors are on the rise, the average user isn't streaming in 4k anyway because their connections wont support it. There are other reasons (data stream from the chip is only 60mbps which is barely the minimum for 4k) as well. Besides,

As to what to use, it is going to be hard to beat DaVinci Resolve for its price. iMovie, if I remember, doesn't support 4K (it has been a while since I even opened it, so could easily be misinformed) so there is no real point in it.

Reactions: theblackecho
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute