DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Virtual Litchi Mission

@namirda first off THANK YOU for taking the time to create this and then to SUPPORT it!!

Do you have a "Contribution" path to where we can donate some $$ to you for your efforts and support?

I have downloaded and installed the latest version (I think... Ver 2.1.0) of VLM and it seems to load just fine but when I click on Virtual Mission in GE it suddenly seems to elevate up a couple of thousand feet above where I'm supported to be located and "appears" to fly the mission from that elevation as opposed to the 175' I have for my waypoints.

If I export the 3D path to see what the flight should look like it looks what I would expect but as already stated when I launch the Virtual Flight it ZOOMS sky high automatically. I'm sure it's something simple and painfully obvious but I can't find the solution easily.

Thank you in advance.
Allen

Hi Allen,

Thanks but there is no need for any contribution - this is just a nice little hobby for me and I enjoy tinkering with it when the weather is not good enough to fly in real life!

With regard to your problem, please check that GE has elevation exaggeration set to 1 (GE/Tools/Options/3DView). Any other value will certainly cause confusing problems.

If that does not fix the problem then please take a look at the Diagnostics folder in your VLM mission:

1) Do the "Waypoint Path" and "Smooth Flight Path" look correct? Move the view around with your mouse and check that the positions and elevations look correct.
2) Do the "Waypoint Views" at each waypoint look as you expect?
3) Is it only one specific mission causing the problem or is it all/any mission? Try opening a public mission on the Mission Hub as a test.

If those steps do not lead you to a solution then please post an image which demonstrates your issue and a link to your csv file so I can take a look.

Thanks

Neil

Hi Allen,

Thanks but there is no need for any contribution - this is just a nice little hobby for me and I enjoy tinkering with it when the weather is not good enough to fly in real life!

With regard to your problem, please check that GE has elevation exaggeration set to 1 (GE/Tools/Options/3DView). Any other value will certainly cause confusing problems.

If that does not fix the problem then please take a look at the Diagnostics folder in your VLM mission:

1) Do the "Waypoint Path" and "Smooth Flight Path" look correct? Move the view around with your mouse and check that the positions and elevations look correct.
2) Do the "Waypoint Views" at each waypoint look as you expect?
3) Is it only one specific mission causing the problem or is it all/any mission? Try opening a public mission on the Mission Hub as a test.

If those steps do not lead you to a solution then please post an image which demonstrates your issue and a link to your csv file so I can take a look.

Thanks

Neil

It's set to (1) as expected.

I don't see a Diagnostics folder anywhere. I've got two windows/panes available... one is the Chrome window (Mission Hub) and the other is the profile window. Is Diagnostics under one of the menu items?

Maybe I need to "reInstall/reset" the program to factory defaults? I tried CNTRL + Click the EXE but it does not bring up a dialog box asking to restore etc. Can I uninstall and reinstall like any other windows program?

It's set to (1) as expected.

I don't see a Diagnostics folder anywhere. I've got two windows/panes available... one is the Chrome window (Mission Hub) and the other is the profile window. Is Diagnostics under one of the menu items?

Maybe I need to "reInstall/reset" the program to factory defaults? I tried CNTRL + Click the EXE but it does not bring up a dialog box asking to restore etc. Can I uninstall and reinstall like any other windows program?

In Google Earth there should be an entry in Temporary Places for your mission. Open that folder and you will see two items - the first is "Virtual Mission" which you can double-click to fly your mission. The second is a folder called "Diagnostics" which has 4 sub-folders.

Yes you can re-install if you wish but it should not be necessary.

N

Reactions: BigAl07
VLM_Path1.jpg VLM_Path2.jpg First image is just the path (3D file from Hub) and then when I click on Waypoint Path it jumps up HIGH like the image depicts.

View attachment 40377 View attachment 40378 First image is just the path (3D file from Hub) and then when I click on Waypoint Path it jumps up HIGH like the image depicts.

Agreed - something very wrong there!

Is there a chance you are mixing metric and imperial units? Please check VLM settings for consistency with Litchi.

Can you please post a link to your csv file somewhere and I will take a look at it later today.

N

Agreed - something very wrong there!

Is there a chance you are mixing metric and imperial units? Please check VLM settings for consistency with Litchi.

Can you please post a link to your csv file somewhere and I will take a look at it later today.

N

See if this works for you:

Hightail Spaces

Your mission looks fine on my machine.

Do you have your Home Point Altitude Reference set to WP1?

N

Yes in fact I created a new WP1 in order to get the HP Altitude near ground level (it was originally 175').

I went back and verified, saved, and exported again with same results. See below:
VLM_Path3.jpg

Yes in fact I created a new WP1 in order to get the HP Altitude near ground level (it was originally 175').
Sorry - I'm out of ideas for the moment. However it is definitely something to do with the settings on your PC because your mission looks fine here.

I have to go out now - I will look at it later.

N

Sorry - I'm out of ideas for the moment. However it is definitely something to do with the settings on your PC because your mission looks fine here.

I have to go out now - I will look at it later.

N

Thank you. I'll try it on another computer in a few hours and let you know as well.

Thank you. I'll try it on another computer in a few hours and let you know as well.

This looks like a reference altitude problem.

It seems you are using a very large value for the Home Point Reference Altitude. With such flat terrain in the mission area and with the Home Point so close to WP1 this is not appropriate. You should be using WP1 as reference.

Please check in VLM Setup that HP Reference Altitude is set to WP1.

If that is not the problem then please post an image of the "Activity Log" which should tell us what reference altitude is being used.

Thanks

N

Last edited:

It seems you are using a very large value for the Home Point Reference Altitude. With such flat terrain in the mission area and with the Home Point so close to WP1 this is not appropriate. You should be using WP1 as reference.

If that is not the problem then please post an image of the "Activity Log" which should tell us what reference altitude is being used.

Thanks

N

I installed VLM on my laptop at home and used the exact same mission noted above and it worked flawlessly exactly as it should. I'll uninstall and re-install VLM on my office computer in the morning and give it another whirl.

THANK YOU for your help and support.
Allen

Back in the office this morning and uninstalled VLM and re-installed it. Same issue. So I uninstalled Google Earth Pro and did a new install there. Exact same problem. See attached:

This is showing that WP1 is set at key to altitude ref.
VLM_Setup_1.jpg

This shows how it looks on the map (in GEP) with just the path imported:
VLM_Setup_GE_PathOnly.jpg

Here it is showing the path and CVS data imported (see the height change already??)
VLM_Setup_GE_CSV_added.jpg

Here it is showing the Diagnostics on top of it all:
VLM_Setup_GE_Path_Diagnostics.jpg

I'm going to uninstall VLM and try and clean any registry settings because there may be something "hanging around" in there that caused the issue to begin with that's still lingering.

Thanks

N

Activity log? Is that the panel along the left side of VLM? If so, that pane is not on my system. I have the Chrome pane and the Profile pane but that's it. See attached:
VLM_Panes_1.jpg

I'm running Windows 7, 64 bit and the Control+Launch Program does not bring up a "Restore to Default" option.

I've uninstalled the program (a few times now) and the last time I uninstalled, cleaned up registry settings, and then rebooted the machine before reinstalling. I still do not have the 3rd pane/window in VLM even though Activity Log > Verbose is checked. Am I missing something completely?

Finally.... some success on my office PC...

I finally did a Repair to Google Earth Pro (Help > Launch Repair Tool > Google Earth Pro > Restore Default Settings). Take note, once you launch the GEP Repair Tool you have to close GEP for anything to take effect.

After this "Restore Default" everything within GEP is now showing/flying as expected.

I'm still trying to find out how to "Restore to Default Settings" the VLM so I have the left hand window again. I'll never EVER close it again once I get it open :)

Finally.... some success on my office PC...

I finally did a Repair to Google Earth Pro (Help > Launch Repair Tool > Google Earth Pro > Restore Default Settings). Take note, once you launch the GEP Repair Tool you have to close GEP for anything to take effect.

After this "Restore Default" everything within GEP is now showing/flying as expected.

I'm still trying to find out how to "Restore to Default Settings" the VLM so I have the left hand window again. I'll never EVER close it again once I get it open :)

I'm glad it's working even if we don't really know what the problem was.

You seem to have problem seeing the Activity Log. It is opened using the "Show/Activity Log" in VLM. It is a bit clumsy because you need to click on the "Activity Log" menu-item so that a check mark appears beside it. Stupidly (of me!) it is possible to select "Verbose" without actually showing the Activity Log - that will be fixed in the next version coming up soon.

I can't explain why the "VLM Reset" window is not presented when you start VLM while pressing CTRL. That's not a problem I have heard about before. Sounds as if you have a few strange things happening on your Office PC?

Anyway - good that it works now...

N

I'm glad it's working even if we don't really know what the problem was.

Exactly. I'd love to know what was wrong but I'm thrilled it's working now. THANK YOU for your help and continued support.

You seem to have problem seeing the Activity Log. It is opened using the "Show/Activity Log" in VLM. It is a bit clumsy because you need to click on the "Activity Log" menu-item so that a check mark appears beside it. Stupidly (of me!) it is possible to select "Verbose" without actually showing the Activity Log - that will be fixed in the next version coming up soon.

I look forward to trying out the newest version.

I can't explain why the "VLM Reset" window is not presented when you start VLM while pressing CTRL. That's not a problem I have heard about before. Sounds as if you have a few strange things happening on your Office PC?

Anyway - good that it works now...

N

Who knows? It's an older system that's been upgraded many times over the years and nearing the end of it's useful life. Maybe one day LOL.

I am absolutely LOVING this program @namirda. I have had an absolute blast playing with my missions and "Tweaking" them using VLM. Below is a screen shot of a Descending Spiral we are doing for a client next week.
Hendo_Spiral_DOWN.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929