DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Virtual Litchi Mission

If the Google API calls exceed a specific threshold at a given time frame you receive that error.
The more people are using VLM, the more API calls...

Talk to the developer how to use your own Google Map API key to solve the problem.

I started having the same message last night. I also have 2 members of my drone flying group reporting the same problem starting last night. This is a real bummer. Is anyone reporting that VLM is working for them?

Hello,

@namirda,
This API thing?
Is it something you had purchased and now needs to be renewed?
Something seems familiar from the past.

Here is what I'm seeing.

Rod

I pay for the google api for another software program but I don’t recall ever paying a fee related to Litchi....also it not likely that all of our terms expired on the same morning.

I read somewhere that the counters are set at 12:00 AM PT. So based on the error message I'm receiving I'm exceeding a daily request quota. The concern I have is that I my VLM usage today was really like compared to some days!

6:56:09 PM New CSV File detected in WatchFolder
File Name is C:\Users\David\Downloads\18871 Oak Leaf Lane - Front Street Ascent.csv
6:56:09 PM Altitudes in this csv file are in Feet
6:56:09 PM CSV File OK - 2 Waypoints Processed
6:56:09 PM Number of POI used for this mission is 1
6:56:09 PM Google Elevation API returned error
6:56:09 PM OVER_QUERY_LIMIT - You have exceeded your daily request quota for this API. If you did not set a custom daily request quota, verify your project has an active billing account: Account Changes | Google Maps Platform | Google Cloud
6:56:09 PM Error Getting WP Ground Elevations from Google Earth
6:56:09 PM Error Correcting Waypoint Altitudes for reference
6:56:09 PM File C:\Users\David\Downloads\18871 Oak Leaf Lane - Front Street Ascent.csv deleted

If the Google API calls exceed a specific threshold at a given time frame you receive that error.
The more people are using VLM, the more API calls...

Talk to the developer how to use your own Google Map API key to solve the problem.
Is my developer Namirda? Is my project VLM? On google API page how do I get a key associated with the VLM? Any more clues would help my understanding. Thanks

Hum, you guys saying that you already paying for the google API stuff, I never have, I will if I have to, but I think it related to @namirda program or web server, etc. Have no problem paying him for his stuff.

Until he gives us an update, I think more posts on this thread is waist of time.

Rod

Reactions: hohensee
Download latest version here :
Virtual Litchi Mission V2.3.0
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VLM Frequently Asked Questions

Problems Getting Started

Q) VLM does not start properly – startup sound and splash screen and then nothing!
A) Restart VLM while pressing CTRL and you will be given the option to reset VLM to initial conditions

Q) The Litchi Mission Hub panel in VLM is shifted from its expected location?
A) Try running in compatibility mode by right clicking on the VLM icon and choose

Compatibility tab -> Change High DPI Settings -> High DPI Scaling Override.

Q) VLM runs but Google Earth does not open?
A) Check that Google Earth Pro is properly installed and that kml files are properly associated with Google Earth. You can check this by double clicking on a kml file and confirming that Google Earth opens.

Q) VLM crashes on startup complaining about 'CefSharp.Core.dll' or one of its dependencies.
A) Check that the following are properly installed on your system:
Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable (x64)
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6

Q) Can I run VLM on a Mac?
A) VLM is a windows only application. You have two options to run on a Mac or Linux machine

1) Apparently VLM runs well in a Virtual Machine such as Parallels​
2) User Bazuchan has implemented a version of VLM which runs as an extension to the browser. Yet another Virtual Litchi Mission (Google Chrome Extension)

Problems with the Virtual Mission

Q) The elevations of my virtual mission look wrong
A) Check the following:
1) The exaggeration factor in Google Earth should be set to 1.0​
2) Check that Litchi Mission Hub, VLM and GE are all using either Imperial or Metric units – do not mix them.​
3) Check that the VLM Home Point Reference Altitude is appropriate for your mission. If you are unsure then use the default setting of WP1 and put the first WP of your mission directly above the Home Point (Take Off Point)​
4) If there are still small elevation differences then compare the elevation of the Home Point in both Google Earth and Google Maps (ie Litchi). If they are significantly different then set the VLM HP altitude to the elevation measured by Google Earth.​

Q) The VLM Mission is a poor match with the real mission
A) Check the following:
1) Check that you have specified a heading and gimbal angle for every waypoint of your mission. If any of these values are undefined you will see an orange warning in the VLM Activity Log.​
2) Check that your mission does not exceed the capabilities of your drone. Any such issues will be highlighted in orange in the VLM Activity Log and should be addressed.​
3) Check that the Google Earth viewing window is set to 16:9 to match your camera settings.​
4) Check that the drone type is set correctly in VLM and that the FOV setting is correct.​
5) Check that the VLM Cruising speed matches the setting in the Litchi Mission Hub.​
6) If the VLM mission is jerky then try increasing the number of smoothing points to 9 or 11.​

If you still have questions or problems then please ask in this thread.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original post dated 26/12/2017:

In this thread started almost a year ago - https://mavicpilots.com/threads/how-hard-would-it-be-to-simulate-litchi-missions-in-google-earth.7864, user “torqum” introduced the intriguing idea ‘flying’ a Litchi mission virtually in Google Earth to see how it looks from the perspective specified in Litchi. It was a very appealing concept – to fly a mission anywhere in the world without getting out of your armchair!

In that thread, user "JTS" submitted a conversion program which apparently worked for some folks but not for others – and not for me so I decided to write my own.

The utility is called Virtual Litchi Mission (VLM) – it is a standalone executable and does not need any installation. It runs on my Win10 x64 machine but should run on x86 machines as well. On older versions of windows your mileage may vary…..

VLM sets a watch on a user specified Downloads folder and will automatically read any csv file created in this folder. When Litchi Mission Hub writes a csv file to this folder, VLM will convert it to a “Tour” in Google Earth including the complete camera orientation and gimbal settings which were specified in Litchi.

The resulting Virtual Mission can then be flown in Google Earth and should show results very similar to that obtained when the mission is flown with your drone. I have tried it out on quite a few of the public missions available in Litchi Mission Hub and in areas where the satellite imagery is good, the results are impressive. Google Earth is so amazing!!

I have found VLM useful to check that there are no erroneous parameters in my Litchi Mission and to check that the camera ‘sees’ what I want it to see. It has saved me several wasted flights with my mavic.

A full User Guide is available in VLM under the Help Tab

Please give VLM a try and let me have any feedback, comments etc. I hope you find it useful.

Thanks

N

Wow, all was going so well - VLM and Google Earth were playing fine together. Then suddenly today, I get the following error message every time I try to Export to CSV in VLM:

10:29:37 PM Google Elevation API returned error
10:29:37 PM REQUEST_DENIED - You must enable Billing on the Google Cloud Projectassociated to this client ID, at Google Cloud Platform more at Maps Platform Migration Guide | Google Maps APIs Premium Plan | Google Developers
10:29:37 PM Error Getting WP Ground Elevations from Google Earth
10:29:37 PM Error Correcting Waypoint Altitudes for reference

I reset VLM (CTRL-double click to open). I reinstalled Google Earth. I just don't know what else to try to get it to work again!

I have a drone meetup group and I have had seven people report the same error. VLM is not working now. Same reports on Facebook Litchi App Users. I fly in rugged mountainous terrain and this was an invaluable tool.

Hello there.

I tried to setup the 2.3.0 version VLM, and faced with that errors list:

Code:
1:59:26 AM    New CSV detected - Paris

1:59:26 AM    Altitudes in this csv file are in Metres

1:59:26 AM    CSV File OK - 10 Waypoints Processed

1:59:26 AM    Number of POI used for this mission is 1

1:59:26 AM    Google Elevation API returned error

1:59:26 AM    OVER_QUERY_LIMIT - You have exceeded your daily request quota for this API. If you did not set a custom daily request quota, verify your project has an active billing account: http://g.co/dev/maps-no-account

1:59:26 AM    Error Getting WP Ground Elevations from Google Earth

1:59:26 AM    Error Correcting Waypoint Altitudes for reference

So, when I tried to "Export as CSV", I got that issue. Seems to be the Google Elevation API query limit have beed exceeded. I didn't find any information about that issue from "Help" section. Maybe I can set up the another key for that API?

Could you kindly take a look, @namirda, please?

Thank you.
Hello there.

I tried to setup the 2.3.0 version VLM, and faced with that errors list:

Code:
1:59:26 AM    New CSV detected - Paris

1:59:26 AM    Altitudes in this csv file are in Metres

1:59:26 AM    CSV File OK - 10 Waypoints Processed

1:59:26 AM    Number of POI used for this mission is 1

1:59:26 AM    Google Elevation API returned error

1:59:26 AM    OVER_QUERY_LIMIT - You have exceeded your daily request quota for this API. If you did not set a custom daily request quota, verify your project has an active billing account: http://g.co/dev/maps-no-account

1:59:26 AM    Error Getting WP Ground Elevations from Google Earth

1:59:26 AM    Error Correcting Waypoint Altitudes for reference

So, when I tried to "Export as CSV", I got that issue. Seems to be the Google Elevation API query limit have beed exceeded. I didn't find any information about that issue from "Help" section. Maybe I can set up the another key for that API?

Could you kindly take a look, @namirda, please?

Thank you.
Hey, good news. In Mission Hub when you have a mission open click on Missions and down at the bottom in red Export as VLM. this will put a KLM file at the bottom left. Click on that and it will open your mission in Google Earth. Play your virtual mission. No need to open Virtual Litchi Mission. This works from Mission Hub.

I have been creating and flying Litchi waypoint missions, and also using Virtual Litchi Mission VLM. Everything has been working fine for several months, and then last night I get the below errors every time I try to analyze, or virtual-fly a mission. These are missions that worked OK before yesterday.

Is google now charging me to get elevation data?

I have looked at the links in the error message below, but still don't know what to do to get VLM working with elevation data again.

Google has an account for me and a credit card, but I still can't get the elevation data. This happens on two different computers, but on my same account.

I am lost as what to do next. The VLM software is/was fantastic.

Error message received when I use VLM to export a csv file to google Earth Pro:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
9:34:14 AM VLM Server Status - OK
9:34:14 AM Google Earth Status - OK
9:34:15 AM Watch Folder is C:\Users\JoeRu\Documents

9:34:38 AM New CSV detected - carefree 01
9:34:38 AM Altitudes in this csv file are in Feet
9:34:38 AM CSV File OK - 22 Waypoints Processed
9:34:38 AM Warning - No heading specified for WP22
9:34:38 AM Number of POI used for this mission is 0
9:34:39 AM Google Elevation API returned error
9:34:39 AM REQUEST_DENIED - You must enable Billing on the Google Cloud Projectassociated to this client ID, at Google Cloud Platform more at Maps Platform Migration Guide | Google Maps APIs Premium Plan | Google Developers
9:34:39 AM Error Getting WP Ground Elevations from Google Earth
9:34:39 AM Error Correcting Waypoint Altitudes for reference
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey, good news. In Mission Hub when you have a mission open click on Missions and down at the bottom in red Export as VLM. this will put a KLM file at the bottom left. Click on that and it will open your mission in Google Earth. Play your virtual mission. No need to open Virtual Litchi Mission. This works from Mission Hub. On further checking this is only working on one computer with Chrome and not with Firefox or IE and not on two other computers. I can't explain this. 73917

Last edited:
Hey, good news. In Mission Hub when you have a mission open click on Missions and down at the bottom in red Export as VLM. this will put a KLM file at the bottom left. Click on that and it will open your mission in Google Earth. Play your virtual mission. No need to open Virtual Litchi Mission. This works from Mission Hub. On further checking this is only working on one computer with Chrome and not with Firefox or IE and not on two other computers. I can't explain this. View attachment 73917
That's because you have the Chrome Virtual Litchi Mission extension installed.

Switch that off and the extra option doesn't appear.

Reactions: AMann
I don’t use Chrome but I can if that gets me back and running. How/where do you get the extension?

Reactions: OzoneVibe

Thanks SOOOOOOO much Chas2379 and bazuchan!!!

The google chrome extension works!!! I'm checking for documentation to see if the extension supports configuration of the FOV? I

Reactions: OzoneVibe
Some posts above speaking about Chrome Litchi Virtual Mission

Its not the same app. VLM2.3 has more functionality rather that Chrome extension. But if you need to do something on Google Earth app - so, yeap, that is a temp solution.

Maybe you could add an option for people to input their own API code ? It's free to get one, you just need to provide your billing info to Google ;-)

Some posts above speaking about Chrome Litchi Virtual Mission

Its not the same app. VLM2.3 has more functionality rather that Chrome extension. But if you need to do something on Google Earth app - so, yeap, that is a temp solution.
Indeed - they are not the same thing - but what they both are is excellent and, most significantly, FREE!

Both authors do a fantastic job in providing/maintaining these gems … and answering endless questions.

I'm sure @namirda will let us know what he can do when he has the time to look into it.

Wondering if anyone knows if the FOV setting in VLM controls the Google Earth FOV in Google Earth when I’m using the Chrome Extension to run the mission? Other VLM settings, for example the setting in VLM that deletes the input file after viewing does not work when using the extension.

Last edited:
Wondering if anyone knows if the FOV setting in VLM controls the Google Earth FOV in Google Earth when I’m using the Chrome Extension to run the mission? Other VLM settings, for example the setting in VLM that deletes the input file after viewing does not work when using the extension.

No. There are no setup options in the extension

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu