DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Waterproof cases - have you "tested" yours ?

Jam0ne

Reactions
When i first got my DJI drone, i quickly also purchased a "waterproof - dustproof" hardcase.
I have carried my drone in the case, during a rain "drizzle", no problem after reaching my destination.

But curiosity got the best of me recently, so i decided to "test" the proof of "water tight" case.
I submerged the LOCKED case under water, (filled with tissue - no drone inside ), about 18 inches of water in a bathtub, for 10 seconds..

bam..

bubbles from the 2-rear corners (hinged side = rear) start coming up immediately.

pulled the case out the tub, shake off dripping water, (case was still feeling heavy - so i knew what was coming)
opened the case..... almost quarter filled with water....

So...

...have you all "tested" the validity of "water tight" (dust tight) on the HardCases you might have bought for your expensive drone(s) ?

Isn't it time you "should" make sure it will "protect" your drone in heavy rain, or falling into a river/ocean ?

I'm going to try and "mod" the case, by adding some "rubber" type thin seal around the lips of the case... just for experimental/modding sake.

I am not sure if it is an EU/European thing but here ( UK ) such protection is often "IP"? rated, differing ratings imply different levels of protection.
Just out of curiosity was the case IP rated?

When i first got my DJI drone, i quickly also purchased a "waterproof - dustproof" hardcase.
I have carried my drone in the case, during a rain "drizzle", no problem after reaching my destination.

But curiosity got the best of me recently, so i decided to "test" the proof of "water tight" case.
I submerged the LOCKED case under water, (filled with tissue - no drone inside ), about 18 inches of water in a bathtub, for 10 seconds..

bam..

bubbles from the 2-rear corners (hinged side = rear) start coming up immediately.

pulled the case out the tub, shake off dripping water, (case was still feeling heavy - so i knew what was coming)

So...

...have you all "tested" the validity of "water tight" (dust tight) on the HardCases you might have bought for your expensive drone(s) ?

Isn't it time you "should" make sure it will "protect" your drone in heavy rain, or falling into a river/ocean ?
‘Waterproof’ can be a very misleading term for any device. In many cases it just means it will resist water at atmospheric pressure such as rainfall and not immersion in water. Submersing a case in this example is putting the internal airspace at higher than atmospheric pressure and will force air out creating a vacuum, which will pull water in.

Truly watertight case such as those made by Pelican have an air-pressure equalising valve and silicone seals to keep water out.

Waterproof ratings are specified under various IP (Ingress Potection) ratings from splash proof to fully watertight. Radio Spares has a good explanation.

bam..

So...

I’ve never tested mine although I’m pretty sure, I hope, that if it was caught outside in a drizzle or even lite rain, I trust mine would be ok. I wouldn’t want to “purposely” submerge it though. It would be interesting to see if it would float and not take on water.

Reactions: Jam0ne
I bought mine specifically to take on kayak excursions. Because i am not the best kayaker, my case has been "field tested" and has yet to fail. Safe and happy droning, everyone!

Reactions: Jam0ne
I buy nothing but Nanuk cases. I tested my first case in a pool to see if it was indeed waterproof. We held it underwater for a few minutes and didn't have any leakage. Everything stayed totally dry. I won't buy any other brand of case.

At work we use the DJI hard case that comes with the Mavic 2 Enterprise, and a Seahorse case that houses the TV and other equipment. Using it last weekend in a snowstorm produced no water intrusion when the cases were sealed. Not necessarily dunking it in a river, but I was still happy. For my home stuff I use a Pelican Storm case for the Air 2S, and just bought a similar TV set up with the Seahorse branded case. Should be good enough for everything I plan to do.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne