DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What are the rules - can we fly during Covid-19/Pandemic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now is a great time to fly drones (if you are are in law enforcement)! Could not be better! Open season! What Fourth Amendment, never heard of it....

Draganfly Pandemic Drone technology Conducts Initial-Flights Near New York City to Detect-COVID-19-Symptoms and Identify Social-Distancing

Meanwhile, back at FAA HQ, agents practice entering buildings looking for hobby drone flyers who continue to pose massive threat to airspace flying below 400 feet...

Now is a great time to fly drones (if you are are in law enforcement)! Could not be better! Open season! What Fourth Amendment, never heard of it....

Draganfly Pandemic Drone technology Conducts Initial-Flights Near New York City to Detect-COVID-19-Symptoms and Identify Social-Distancing

Interesting article, and company . . . big brother is preading its wings (literally).
Even a mention of the University of South Australia (UniSA) . . . 20km from me, part of the research team.

Very high tech, not even in the prosumer category.
Draganflyer Commander looks nice :)

US$40k ?? Um, no.

If lockdowns like those in many places go on too long, authorities will have to consider the effect of having a ban on recreational activities on some people's mental health.

Many find it hard to cope with no work (laid off or closed for biz), and the unknown future CV situation overall.
Coupled with only going out for food maybe 2 or 3 times a week, and daily (supposedly once) outing for a walk / run, or walk the dog, and no stopping for a break !

Yes, there are risks of having a mishap travelling in the car or while out, and this could put a strain on services that may be needed.
Risk level ?
A balance may be needed if this drags on.

Most countries are now talking about lifting the strictest restrictions in place, let's hope not too early in some countries / regions, but hopefully it won't be long until people can carefully try and get their lives back to some sort of sense of normal.
Our county is starting to consider reopening some parks and golf courses with certain restrictions. They also are wanting to allow some businesses to open up to smaller groups in places such as restaurants and barber/stylists shops. In the US our flu season is during our winter months generally late October and up until May at times. Hopefully the hot weather will reduce the number of people who are loosing their lives to the 19 virus. We'll see. If they open the parks they might also allow us to fly with responsibility by keeping distant from others. Each county needs to look at the stats and make a educated plan on how they open back up but one thing for sure, if we don't get going it's gonna get bad in more ways than one.

They apparently flew recently, a production firm.

They chartered a boat out to the East River and launched/landed from there. Maybe they stayed over the water the whole time so they never overflew people?

Ok guys i have just tried to clean this thread up from
the unnecessary political comments.Warnings have been issued. If you guys can’t discuss this without such I will just close this.
dc

Reactions: Thomas B
I am very fortunate that I live 580 yds from my golf club. Whilst the course is closed to play we as members have been given permission to take our daily exercise there. Having spoken to the manager he has no problem if I take my drone with me. So armed with 3 batteries, my wife and I take both my drone and dog for a daily 5km walk.
Am I breaking the rules or just a lucky guy?
If not breaking the rules then surely if you are exercising what’s the harm if your drone is monitoring your progress?

I believe drone flying in the US during the lockdown is legally ok in almost all places. You never can fly over people nor fly from a park that is closed for whatever reason - normal rules still apply.
The two specific situations that are Covid-19 related are: (1) flying with others around. You may have difficulty social distancing in some areas. (2) The other issue is driving to a specific location just to fly. Some states are trying to restrict joy riding ( just going out and driving around for a couple of hours for fun). They are encouraging people to only drive to permitted locations like supermarket, drug store, etc. But I have not seen any fines for driving to a nonessential place nor roadblocks checking people's rationale for driving.
I have heard of California limiting beach access to running / walking for exercise only but not for sunbathing or building sand castles. I can see such a beach being a no no for drone flying since they are saying the beach is only for exercise.
With the exception of New York City, almost all of the US are fine with people being outside as long as they do not congregate with anyone that is not a household member. The actual flying of a drone does not spread covid-19. What you are doing on the ground as it is in the air, ie chatting with strangers, is the concern.

I’m a pretty new drone owner - I have the Mavic 2 Zoom but have only had it out a few times. I’m in S Florida and would love to go out away from everyone maybe near the beach but just to get some basic drone shots- I would stay near my car...is this allowed? Palm Beach County is my location...

TIA

At least in my county, flying a RC aircraft for recreation in public was not considered an "Essential Activity". Seriously I doubt anybody would bother a person on foot or bike who stopped and flew a drone but they also threw another term at us and it was "Essential Travel". So if I'm driving to a spot to fly, I kinda need a valid reason for being there. It's a huge gray area because one might argue flying in itself could be considered therapeutic and even just getting out and flying is better for you than sitting at home. I'd be more worried that a passer by would turn me in creating a problem and I just avoid that when possible. I know a few people flying by themselves in a park that were asked to leave by LEO's, when there were others out walking their dogs or biking at the same park.

Thankfully our county modified the restrictions yesterday and opened some businesses and parks to limited access. Still no large group activity though. So one of the airports I fly off of is allowing us to fly our RC stuff provided we follow the distance guidelines. This is a county thing and I don't know how it affects Forest Service, State or BLM lands w/i the country that I use often. I figure I can probably go off into the country and fly at public access spots now.

Whilst it may well be that you are more likely to have an accident at home than in a car ...at least it’s unlikely to harm others unlike a car accident ... so yes stay in bed ..though doing a VLOS drone flight from your bed may be a challenge lol
well to your thinking we all should stay home for ever and never drive a car because we might hurt someone omg

I believe drone flying in the US during the lockdown is legally ok in almost all places. You never can fly over people nor fly from a park that is closed for whatever reason - normal rules still apply.
The two specific situations that are Covid-19 related are: (1) flying with others around. You may have difficulty social distancing in some areas. (2) The other issue is driving to a specific location just to fly. Some states are trying to restrict joy riding ( just going out and driving around for a couple of hours for fun). They are encouraging people to only drive to permitted locations like supermarket, drug store, etc. But I have not seen any fines for driving to a nonessential place nor roadblocks checking people's rationale for driving.
I have heard of California limiting beach access to running / walking for exercise only but not for sunbathing or building sand castles. I can see such a beach being a no no for drone flying since they are saying the beach is only for exercise.
With the exception of New York City, almost all of the US are fine with people being outside as long as they do not congregate with anyone that is not a household member. The actual flying of a drone does not spread covid-19. What you are doing on the ground as it is in the air, ie chatting with strangers, is the concern.
there are people walking around time sq right now , not many but they are out there and from the looks of it some are closer then 6 ft,

As usual the cry-babies are whining about not being able to fly their drones. But this is definitely not the time to be going on about the 4th Amendment or anything to do with the big bad government clamping down on your civil rights - unless of course, you believe that the whole Coronavirus thing is a hoax.

Hmm, I was looking at trying for LAANC authorization through Airmap.

Probably not a good idea now.?

Reactions: jeffcutler
this is definitely not the time to be going on about the 4th Amendment or anything to do with the big bad government clamping down on your civil rights...

In your opinion, when is the right time to discuss whether surveillance drones already deployed in US cities implicate the Fourth Amendment?

The CEO of draganfly explains the capability of the surveillance drone in this video:

I guess the Westport PD heard from so many angry residents it changed its mind about unleashing the draganfly:

Social-distancing detecting ‘pandemic drones’ dumped over privacy concerns
Interesting article. Unfortunately the ACLU seems to have put the end to the idea because the people might be recognized.... so now a uniformed officer must risk infection, or worse, to break up these congregations personally.... and look at the ID’s in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jroy329