DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What Would You Do?

In my daily life, I work in marketing, advertising, Social Media, etc and every once in a while, I come across things like this video I will post below. It starts off nice, but within a short amount of time, I see there are some National Park NFZ flights happening. The most infuriating point happens at the 2:33 mark of the video, where the operator is flying over, around, and through a herd of North American Elk that are grazing in the morning at the Oconoluftee Visitor Center inside the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I was surprised that the elk didn't react to the drone. Nonetheless, the video was sent to me from the father of the person who made it, thinking the organization I work with would "love it".

So, my question, what would you do with the video? Report the person, leave it, figure out who to send it to? I am not trying to be a narc or a tattletale, but this is such an egregious act that this individual needs to learn from. What would you do?

✂️ Idiot in Great Smoky Mountains National Park

It's highly unlikely that the flight could have been made within FAA regulations. I'd contact the pilot/video creator and make him aware of the regulations. Though it's doubtful, it is possible that he obtained the necessary approvals and authorizations.

Right now, with the video publicly available on Youtube, he's documenting the flight and his identity. Once he's aware of the regulations, he may want to reconsider that.

Last edited:
This might give some insight on how something like this could be handled:

Not me, not my video

He handled that VERY well. I'm impressed.

It's easy for any "Agency" to get your information from the service (YT, FB, etc etc). Some services give that information up easily and some require a warrant but either way it's fairly straight forward, easy, and quick.

Reactions: mavic3usa
I think making him aware and reporting him are two different things an because of that , I would just mention to him that it was inside a National Park an if he were to get caught there would be a fine.

I would also say to him that although its pretty footage , not sure it worth the fine from a National Park .

I would not Report him to an Agency unless after warned or a Second Video Post.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

In my daily life, I work in marketing, advertising, Social Media, etc and every once in a while, I come across things like this video I will post below. It starts off nice, but within a short amount of time, I see there are some National Park NFZ flights happening. The most infuriating point happens at the 2:33 mark of the video, where the operator is flying over, around, and through a herd of North American Elk that are grazing in the morning at the Oconoluftee Visitor Center inside the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I was surprised that the elk didn't react to the drone. Nonetheless, the video was sent to me from the father of the person who made it, thinking the organization I work with would "love it".

So, my question, what would you do with the video? Report the person, leave it, figure out who to send it to? I am not trying to be a narc or a tattletale, but this is such an egregious act that this individual needs to learn from. What would you do?

✂️ Idiot in Great Smoky Mountains National Park
I will probably take a lot of flack here but I think it is the job of rangers and law enforcement to find and deal with violators. Turning somebody in to the law for a non-violent act such as this will open you to a lot of legal ramifications of lawsuits, courtroom time, legal fees to defend, etc. The term, "res, ipsa, loquitur" (the fact speaks for itself) is plainly apparent from the video submission and gives enough proof of the lawbreaker to those whose job it is to prosecute without you having to involve yourself.
In other words, I would not report it. No good deed goes unpunished.

The FAA only looks at social media if they are part of an active investigation. They don't have people just watch social media for violations.

Also, a simple media post can't be used to prosecute someone unless they can ascertain that the one who posted it is the one who was flying.
I'm just one example but the FAA commented of a photo I took.Just inside a NFZ.

Looking at the sky view pic of where this flight occurred, I would say, that over time these elk have been pretty well conditioned to intrusion. I see a good sized highway, two schools, large parking lots, playgrounds, stadiums, administration and public buildings, and well grooved trails on the peripheral. In fact, I thought it funny, that the road that runs in front of both schools is named ‘Elk Lane’.

FTR…I do not approve of harassing animal life in any form, but, it would take a Bell helicopter buzzing this area…NOT an Air 2S to disrupt the tranquility of this moment. We do have our rules and regulations regarding flying or not flying in national provincial and state parks. Of the high population of droners there will always be a fellow droner whose temptation overcomes him or her to get in the air. They will be dealt with by the appropriate authorities. DONT become a Droner / Karen in this evolving ‘FINK SOCIETY’.

IMO…The large majority of droners that I witness out there flying are very responsible and are only out there to improve on this fun and great activity. We should only have to look over our shoulder for advice, not, persecution.

Safe and Responsible Flying

👍 🇨🇦

Just an aside. Not condoning, just observation. Did anyone notice that the elk paid zero attention to the drone? And he was flying pretty low at times. Maybe a little more research needs done. 😇

it would take a Bell helicopter buzzing this area…NOT an Air 2S to disrupt the tranquility of this moment.
Did anyone notice that the elk paid zero attention to the drone?

Do either of you have any background in wildlife management or is this just your opinions?

So if we let folks do this (because according to you - this was totally safe and non intrusive) - there will be no problems?
So what if there were 10 folks on that day that wanted to do this? How about 20? Still no problem?
Do we put a sign out there that says "Only ten drones at a time can fly over the ELK"?
I'm sure everyone will follow that particular rule.

Do you not see why we shouldn't do this? What if the drone force landed or crashed, right there in the pasture, would that pilot have known what would happen if he tried to retrieve it, or do you?

This very type of careless flight made headline news almost ten years ago when a pilot flew too close to a herd of Big Horn Sheep in Zion NP in 2014 - this was one of the very incidents that caused the NP drone ban in the first place.

I'll take the word of a wildlife biologist. . .

“Drones are a new challenge for Zion National Park and our mission of resource protection,” said Wildlife Biologist Cassie Waters. “Animals can be injured when attempting to escape or avoid drone activity. Drones can also change the natural behavior of wildlife and lead to unnecessary energy expenditures. This has the potential to affect survival and reproductive success in many species. We are therefore really concerned with drones, their effect on wildlife, and our ability to preserve the natural environment.”

• Love
Reactions: Torque
Do either of you have any background in wildlife management or is this just your opinions?
I remeber this incident and the bear on the cliff and the incident with the alligator , so they are adding up this is true.

I feel there is a double standard because when I fly my drone over the water when there are 100 Seagulls sitting on the water < I get a lot of Flack from drone pilots but when I take my boat out that 20 x louder an plow thru them I am just cool dude with crappy boat. lol

I also think with the ability of the Zoom Cameras there is no need to be as close to any of these creatures so im ok with Fines being imposed or getting some kind of Disney License to get special footage as we see on the Disney Channels.

Just like a Fishing License we shoudl get a Wild Life License and fined if we break the VLOS rules.

The problem is as others have stated these event are really the Exception so there is that.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the water, and take Zoo Picures from Far Away.

Reactions: Cafguy and Ty Pilot
I remeber this incident and the bear on the cliff and the incident with the alligator , so they are adding up this is true.
Yes they are still adding up over ten years later.

The problem is as others have stated these event are really the Exception so there is that.

Are they though, or do we just not realize how often it happens? Go to Youtube and type "Gator eats drone" - you might think you would only see that video you mentioned above, but nope, turns out lots of folks really get a kick out of doing such stupid stuff unfortunately.

But I do agree that there is a double standard in parks. If noise is a problem, then don't just stop the tiny drones. Kick out Harley guys with loud bikes, fine people on speaker phones, and for Pete sake stop letting bus loads of kids run through the park screaming at the top of their lungs. 🤔

The truth is, it's not just the noise a drone makes, it is the multitude of ways a drone can be disruptive or harmful, most of which your average drone pilot has never even conceived of; and therefore are not prepared to avoid.

One of the worst incidents I witnessed of a drone being disruptive was in Colorado . The drone was trying to capture a few climbers , they just were not prepared for the drone and lost there footing , and took a few hard hits on the wall and were pissed off at the drone pilot ,

Needless to say I would never take a drone near a climber after seeing that incident,

Phantomrain.org
Wet Suits to fly your drone in the Rain.

Reactions: Torque

So if we let folks do this (because according to you - this was totally safe and non intrusive) - there will be no problems?
So what if there were 10 folks on that day that wanted to do this? How about 20? Still no problem?
Do we put a sign out there that says "Only ten drones at a time can fly over the ELK"?
I'm sure everyone will follow that particular rule.

Do you not see why we shouldn't do this? What if the drone force landed or crashed, right there in the pasture, would that pilot have known what would happen if he tried to retrieve it, or do you?

This very type of careless flight made headline news almost ten years ago when a pilot flew too close to a herd of Big Horn Sheep in Zion NP in 2014 - this was one of the very incidents that caused the NP drone ban in the first place.

I'll take the word of a wildlife biologist. . .

“Drones are a new challenge for Zion National Park and our mission of resource protection,” said Wildlife Biologist Cassie Waters. “Animals can be injured when attempting to escape or avoid drone activity. Drones can also change the natural behavior of wildlife and lead to unnecessary energy expenditures. This has the potential to affect survival and reproductive success in many species. We are therefore really concerned with drones, their effect on wildlife, and our ability to preserve the natural environment.”
Excuse me. Who said this is right? Not me. One in a million will do this. Call them what you want, but, they’re always going to be there. You can put up all the signs you want and again you will find someone exceeding the limits no matter what the subject. Funny how where they’ve torn up and built roads, large buildings, parking lots, and cut through trails…those elk looked pretty comfy to me and adapted to this environment…something I can’t say, some have.

IMO by the way = In My Opinion

With all the dash cams, iPhones, drones, and satellites…I’d be careful…oh ya, and Karens 😵‍💫

Last edited:
Listen folks, in regards to these "Elk"... they are on the verge of being pets. They were IMPORTED here to my area several years ago (big mistake BTW) and they are VERY used to people, vehicles, and everything else "Human" related. They are destroying gardens, flower beds, and so much more because they are "accustomed" to humans and see no harm from us. That's a shame!!

Yes it's wild that the heard hardly even looked up at the drone but then again they have been "taught" these things are normal.

FWIW, the FAA is floored with this video and it has been sent to dual channels for further investigation. If nothing else this video should be taken down because it gives a horrible example for others to follow.

FWIW, the FAA is floored with this video and it has been sent to dual channels for further investigation. If nothing else this video should be taken down because it gives a horrible example for others to follow.
Al, why exactly are they "floored" by this? Have they never looked at YouTube before? This is perfectly representative...if they are shocked by this, they're disconnected from reality.

Al, why exactly are they "floored" by this? Have they never looked at YouTube before? This is perfectly representative...if they are shocked by this, they're disconnected from reality.

Do you think they have time to sit and troll YT/FB/IG all the time? NOPE!

They were floored because he was grossly negligent and careless in such a restricted area.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB