DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where did you buy yours?

I know what your saying but to me £250 is worth saving, it’s the difference between buying it and not. I too was worried about the import tax etc but Toby’s Deals state in their t’s & c’s that the price advertised is the price you pay, they deal with all import duties and taxes on your behalf.

I guess I’ll find out soon enough as according to the “My DPD” app it’s getting delivered today! :D
Actually the price I paid was even less - the exchange rate must have been in my favour £687.97 so provided there are no last minute hiccups I’ll have saved £261.03!!

Could've saved more going through a cashback site. When I bought mine from tomtop, I got £70 back through TopCashback.

Be warned, they're based in Hong Kong and ship from Hong Kong to my knowledge and the problem with that is, it'll go through customs who are likely to not only x Ray it, but could well open it. They are highly likely to retain it too and demand 20% VAT, adding £140 odd. Now you might be lucky, and get away with it but if you can, I'd cancel and buy the combo from John Lewis / Waitrose click and collect. Get a two year guarantee with it and the combo for less than a grand, 900 odd quid. I collected mine last Sunday, :)

No import duty, it even quotes that on their site. They are based in Hong Kong but items are not shipped directly from there. What I think happens is they ship a consignment of orders from HK together then ship individually from within the UK.

I've had my Air nearly 2 weeks and the manufacture date is only 5 weeks ago. It was an E.U. model I received.

No import duty, it even quotes that on their site. They are based in Hong Kong but items are not shipped directly from there. What I think happens is they ship a consignment of orders from HK together then ship individually from within the UK.

I've had my Air nearly 2 weeks and the manufacture date is only 5 weeks ago. It was an E.U. model I received.

Thanks. Its good to know. I see some here have got very good deals, others especially on E Bay, have been badly stung so it's good to find out who's good and who or where to avoid like the plague

In my case it was shipped from China to Germany and then UPS picked it up and dropped it off to me. Tax avoided

Reactions: DougBlueSkies

I ordered mine on Thursday 19th and it arrived today, Tuesday 24th. Awesome stuff, mines a EU Model too, I’ve not checked the build date yet.

Reactions: Dylanjibmonkey
;)
I agree. £260 is no small sum of money, especially when the next thing might be you want an cellular ipad 4 for it as well, ( as I've decided to ALSO purchase), plus filters, a landing pad, few other bits and pieces and before I know where I am I'm pushing two grand with a grand to fork out on a holiday as well. No, seriously, hope it's fine. Might use them myself yet. I just heard some years a go of people having customs advise them that they were with holding from them until payment of VAT, and damaging parcels and some deals weren't proving as good as they looked. For me, John Lewis give me piece of mind for two years and for the drone, that's agreeable with me. The cellular mini pad though, there I could go elsewhere and might take a look at them cause it sure is pricey here. Have fun with it.
Any reason why you’d pick cellular and not just the Wi-fi model?

Mine arrived earlier via DPD, very well packaged and in perfect condition. It’s an EU version, not UK but only difference i can see is the plug connection on the charger and you can easily pick up a uk version of that. I’ve charged it all up registered and updated it. But the I had to go and pick my wee boy up from School. So 1st flight will have to wait till later when he’s in bed. ;)

Reactions: Dylanjibmonkey
;)

Mine arrived earlier via DPD, very well packaged and in perfect condition. It’s an EU version, not UK but only difference i can see is the plug connection on the charger and you can easily pick up a uk version of that. I’ve charged it all up registered and updated it. But the I had to go and pick my wee boy up from School. So 1st flight will have to wait till later when he’s in bed. ;)

My understanding is that with wifi you need to download map information of where you are flying in advance to have backups like return to base work. If you have cellular, it picks up where you are and downloads the information automatically. Now wifi might be fine for a very experienced drone pilot, but for myself, I'd far rather have the GPS mapping information do all it needs to do automatically. As a newbie, it's one less thing to worry about.

Reactions: Kenny.j
My understanding is that with wifi you need to download map information of where you are flying in advance to have backups like return to base work. If you have cellular, it picks up where you are and downloads the information automatically. Now wifi might be fine for a very experienced drone pilot, but for myself, I'd far rather have the GPS mapping information do all it needs to do automatically. As a newbie, it's one less thing to worry about.
My only concern with that is you then need another SIM card on another contract in order to use the data. I’d consider tethering a Wi-fi Model to my Phone and use that data I already pay for? Just a though for a wee bit of cost saving?

My only concern with that is you then need another SIM card on another contract in order to use the data. I’d consider tethering a Wi-fi Model to my Phone and use that data I already pay for? Just a though for a wee bit of cost saving?

Tethering a phone to WiFi is an option, it's just it apparently uses very little data so the cheapest data sim is I think £5 a month and it really shouldn't need more than that. Its just what I'm comfortable with. For now, I feel there's more than enough for me to learn and I'm in it for video, nothing else. And I've just had a helicopter fly right over where I can fly at I would guess, about 1000ft, just going to show how important it is not to go over 500. You just never know when one might appear.

;)

You know to calibrate the compass but not the .... IMU is it? Anyway, be sure to calibrate the compass, can leave everything else alone.

Reactions: Kenny.j
Just ordered my MA fly more combo from Toby Deals after much deliberation - thanks all for this thread. Was getting a bit twitchy at the prospect of paying the best part of £940 here in the UK - ended up paying £715 with discount code - a bit easier to swallow

I'm off to introduce myself on the forum properly now as this is my first post

Great forum BTW Thumbswayup

Cellular is ‘needed’ only for home point set to RC or follow mode. You don’t need to use the cellular feature to achieve this, it just needs to be ‘cellular’ capable. Always a good idea to download maps via WiFi before setting out. This not only saves on data but ensures you are not struggling to find a signal and it’s one less thing to worry about.
Hope this helps. How are you finding your new toy?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom