DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why is "Cloud Cover" a factor in decision to fly?

gjmphoto

Reactions
I use UAV Forecast and see cloud cover as a factor, independent of GPS Satellites locked. I'm wondering what the problem is regarding CC? If I have 15-18 satellites locked but 90-95% cc, why is that a problem? Is it just VLOS or is there something more regarding control of the drone?

In my country CC is not an issue if you keep below its floor level. Generally never a problem.

If I have 15-18 satellites locked but 90-95% cc, why is that a problem?
It will not cause a problem GPS-wise. The only thing the clouds will potentially do is make it hard for you to see your drone and/or other nearby aircraft.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
I love how the UAV Forecast app can lock on to 14.3 satellites.

WTF? :D

I think it has to do more with the ceiling than anything. I am only assuming as I have flown on mostly cloudy days but had great visibility.

Also, if you are flying to get good video, extensive cloud cover might make that a less desirable situation.

But all the parameters in UAV Forecast are user changeable, so it's just a matter of what YOUR threshold is.

Cloud height is way more useful than cloud cover.
UAV Forecast has lots of pointless things for no-fly. Cloud cover, K index and so on. Fortunately every single parameter is customisable.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura