DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why was it suddenly "LANDING"?

ff22

Reactions
Flying the Mini last evening. Took it up to its limited height (prop guards) and then just turned in 360 degrees capturing a video. Took a few single images. Suddenly, it announced "Landing" and was coming down too fast for me and right above a laurel hedge. I managed to fight it but it kept wanting to descend. Finally, got it moving away from the hedge and got it down. I guess it is possible I inadvertently hit some button or other. Also, while UP there, on the bottom of the screen, more or less centered was this red icon, kind of a half circle or grid type thing. Since I'm new to the ipad mini I was futzing for the screenshot and could not master it. It is possible while fumbling for that, I might have also hit something the Fly app took to mean LAND NOW??? Since it was just about a foot above the hedge, I really did not concentrate on the screen just the sticks. So I don't know if there was any other indications on the screen.

My first attempt at posting the log/txt file (which by the way, being completely new to Apple, did not show the .txt extension so I was looking all over for it.)

What happened, "tea leaf readers"?

Thanks in advance.

if the drone is closer that 20m from the home point then if you press RTH it will just land

Reactions: ff22
if the drone is closer that 20m from the home point then if you press RTH it will just land
As I mentioned, it is possible I hit the RTH trying to execute a screenshot. Is the only control fighting it with the sticks - if you don't notice it is doing a rth? It really was descending very fast and that hedge was blowing in the prop draught. It was seconds away from pruning it. It was like a yo-yo. Down/up, down/up as I was trying to keep it out of the hedge and trying to move it horizontally off the hedge position

Reactions: old man mavic
As I mentioned, it is possible I hit the RTH trying to execute a screenshot. Is the only control fighting it with the sticks - if you don't notice it is doing a rth? It really was descending very fast and that hedge was blowing in the prop draught. It was seconds away from pruning it. It was like a yo-yo. Down/up, down/up as I was trying to keep it out of the hedge and trying to move it horizontally off the hedge position
two things you could have done ,if you had hit the RTH button it would have cancelled the descent ,did you know that the RTH button on the RC has two functions a quick press is Pause,
then a long press is RTH

two things you could have done ,if you had hit the RTH button it would have cancelled the descent ,did you know that the RTH button on the RC has two functions a quick press is Pause,
then a long press is RTH

If you accidentally enter a no fly zone , than the drone will land almost immediately and nothing can stop it.
It will land on sea /land/ roof top. .

Assuming you were not in No Fly Zone the RTH makes makes the most sense.

New to this ipad crap. How do I get the DAT files off the darn thing to my win10 computer. I see the files when browsing. I tried emailing but they are either too big or restricted in some way. I just want a simple file manager (g)

As I mentioned, it is possible I hit the RTH trying to execute a screenshot.
You were 100 ft directly above the home point and initiated RTH which caused the autolanding.
Is the only control fighting it with the sticks - if you don't notice it is doing a rth?
It was like a yo-yo. Down/up, down/up as I was trying to keep it out of the hedge and trying to move it horizontally off the hedge position
If the drone is trying to execute a descent and you start fighting that without cancelling the auto-descent, you could easily end up in a bad situation.
What you did was like trying to grab the steering wheel and fight over who is driving the car.
The only correct action is to cancel the auto-descent.
Then the drone will hover and wait for you to tell it what you want it to do..

@ff22 I've found it nigh on impossible to copy data in bulk from an iphone/ipad to a PC. I didn't find a way that worked well - maybe it exists but I didn't find it despite many searches on many sites. I was able to get some info transferred by using iCloud, but it was far from ideal. Bluetooth can be used for individual files but it is quite slow. Your best bet may be to copy onto a USB pen drive as per the following link:

I have a USB OTG adapter and use it for copying photos from my Android phone to a pen drive and via a SD card reader to get photos off memory cards onto the phone.

Last edited:
The drone is designed to respond, at least partially, to stick inputs unless it is doing autolanding due to being in no-fly-zone. When things like that happen, my advice is not to push any buttons unless you know exactly what's going on. Just get hold of the sticks , stop the descent and steer the drone away from dangers.

You said you managed to fight it but it kept wanting to descend, that's not quite true because you have not held the throttle stick all the way up but just pushed it momentarily for a few times. Had the throttle been held fully up, the drone would have stopped descending and started to ascend slowly. This would give you a lot more time to deal with the situation

Reactions: scro
Note that on iOS for most people the easiest way to get flight records off your device is by using the Files app on your device. The method is mentioned on the second link given by boblui but is easy to miss.
Apparently for DJI Phantom this won't work as it uses a different app that doesn't support the Files app, but the DJI Fly App for the mini does and allows you to easily mail the logs to your own mailaccount.

Cancel RTH?? On the left hand side of your screen

Flying the Mini last evening. Took it up to its limited height (prop guards) and then just turned in 360 degrees capturing a video. Took a few single images. Suddenly, it announced "Landing" and was coming down too fast for me and right above a laurel hedge. I managed to fight it but it kept wanting to descend. Finally, got it moving away from the hedge and got it down. I guess it is possible I inadvertently hit some button or other. Also, while UP there, on the bottom of the screen, more or less centered was this red icon, kind of a half circle or grid type thing. Since I'm new to the ipad mini I was futzing for the screenshot and could not master it. It is possible while fumbling for that, I might have also hit something the Fly app took to mean LAND NOW??? Since it was just about a foot above the hedge, I really did not concentrate on the screen just the sticks. So I don't know if there was any other indications on the screen.

My first attempt at posting the log/txt file (which by the way, being completely new to Apple, did not show the .txt extension so I was looking all over for it.)

What happened, "tea leaf readers"?

Thanks in advance.
I had my M2Pdo that once when it was a bit below freezing. It kept saying it was landing and I was like..WHAT? I finally quit fighting it and allowed it to land. The props were iced. It was a bit misty and below freezing and it decided to land. Thankfully without any issue. Every prop was iced on the edges.

You were 100 ft directly above the home point and initiated RTH which caused the autolanding.

If the drone is trying to execute a descent and you start fighting that without cancelling the auto-descent, you could easily end up in a bad situation.
What you did was like trying to grab the steering wheel and fight over who is driving the car.
The only correct action is to cancel the auto-descent.
Then the drone will hover and wait for you to tell it what you want it to do..
Thanks.

The real issue is that I was not aware that I had triggered RTH and it was closing fast on the hedge. I was basically watching it just about a foot above the hedge pressing the sticks and had no real opportunity to cancel RTH since I did not have an opportunity to look down at the screen.

This was the first time I used an ipad and was distracted trying to take a screenshot of whatever that red half circle grid like icon was.

I will definitely pay more attention when using the ipad.

I've only wrestled the steering wheel one time and she and I no longer live together but remain friends! (g) Just kidding.

Again, thanks.

@ff22 I've found it nigh on impossible to copy data in bulk from an iphone/ipad to a PC. I didn't find a way that worked well - maybe it exists but I didn't find it despite many searches on many sites. I was able to get some info transferred by using iCloud, but it was far from ideal. Bluetooth can be used for individual files but it is quite slow. Your best bet may be to copy onto a USB pen drive as per the following link:

I have a USB OTG adapter and use it for copying photos from my Android phone to a pen drive and via a SD card reader to get photos off memory cards onto the phone.
I will check that out. The photo/video I was able to copy. I was able to share-email the text file mentioned above. I have not been able to retrieve the .DAT files from the Flight folder. I can see two of them. I even copied them to another folder on the ipad since someone mentioned they "evaporate" so wanted to secure them. But while I tried the same share-email method that worked for the .TXT file, it does not work. The email is generated on the ipad but never seems to get sent (not in spam folder). I tried both on the original from the Flight folder and from the copied. I was wondering if it was the .DAT file extension but the ipad won't let me rename the extension.

I will admit that the ipad's size and reasonable brightness was a pleasant experience but the in's/out's of Apple's protective methods leave me a bit dissatisfied.

I will check that out. The photo/video I was able to copy. I was able to share-email the text file mentioned above. I have not been able to retrieve the .DAT files from the Flight folder. I can see two of them. I even copied them to another folder on the ipad since someone mentioned they "evaporate" so wanted to secure them. But while I tried the same share-email method that worked for the .TXT file, it does not work. The email is generated on the ipad but never seems to get sent (not in spam folder). I tried both on the original from the Flight folder and from the copied. I was wondering if it was the .DAT file extension but the ipad won't let me rename the extension.

I will admit that the ipad's size and reasonable brightness was a pleasant experience but the in's/out's of Apple's protective methods leave me a bit dissatisfied.

The simplest solution if you are not connecting to a Mac is to save directly to Google Drive or Dropbox from within the iOS files app. That works just fine. I'm not sure why the email method doesn't work.

Reactions: PanX and ff22
The drone is designed to respond, at least partially, to stick inputs unless it is doing autolanding due to being in no-fly-zone. When things like that happen, my advice is not to push any buttons unless you know exactly what's going on. Just get hold of the sticks , stop the descent and steer the drone away from dangers.

You said you managed to fight it but it kept wanting to descend, that's not quite true because you have not held the throttle stick all the way up but just pushed it momentarily for a few times. Had the throttle been held fully up, the drone would have stopped descending and started to ascend slowly. This would give you a lot more time to deal with the situation
Ah, good to know that full UP will take control back. I guess that with the Zoom and SC, I'd never run into this type of issue.

I had my M2Pdo that once when it was a bit below freezing. It kept saying it was landing and I was like..WHAT? I finally quit fighting it and allowed it to land. The props were iced. It was a bit misty and below freezing and it decided to land. Thankfully without any issue. Every prop was iced on the edges.
Yes, but mine was not landing in an appropriate spot. While Meta4 said I was right above my home point, it was askew by just enough to put it over a laurel bush and disaster awaited. Yes, flying in such a constrained location is a disaster waiting to happen. My Zoom has survived a few "aggressive" veggie claws! (g)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan