DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why you shouldn't buy a Mavic 2 or any drone that relies on your phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that the need for a phone is a weak link in the Mavic design. There are so many different models with different versions of software and other apps installed, there is no guarantee that one will work. Even one which works today, may not work after the next update of the phone or DJI app.
DJI could avoid a lot of user issues and support requirements if they provided a built in screen.
I have two Yuneec drones that came with a display built in and have never had a problem with them. The GoPro Karma and Autel Evo also come with a display built in. No worries about cables or compatibility. They just work.

I bought one, a Mavic 2 zoom. After several days and multiple calls to support. I returned it. IT NEVER EVEN LEFT THE GROUND!. Do Mavic 2's work? Obviously, and they get great footage people use them all the time. But after my experience I will tell you why I don't think people should buy them (but of course, free country, buy what you want, but also freedom of speech so I will tell you my opinion). I am going to assume that people with apple phones/devices have better results because if they had mine, DJI would be out of business, I cannot prove this but I think it is true. I bought my M2zoom and I downloaded the app and try to sign up, error, no connected network. Didn't work, called support, they said try using the web site. I had other problems with app but eventually got to the point I could turn on the drone and controller. Connecting, error mag interf check app. Called support again. I had at that point reinstalled the app 4 times afer first suggestion from support. I searched the web DJI Mavic Pro "Mag Interference-Check App" problem still no solution. After being on the phone, the support guy says. You have to use another device. I told him. My Samsung Note 8 is supported according to your website. He said we cannot move forward without another device. My phone controls my other photographic equipment fine, some are free apps.

To preface this. I did my research. I thought I was getting a good drone. Many good comments and reviews. After I could not get the unit up and running, I started searching and I found all the problems and bad stuff. I am not an idiot. I know there are people who don't know what they are doing, and there are going to be some defective units. There will always be problems, BUT, are they reasonable and fairly infrequent? If there are too many or it is so complicated the average person cannot resolve issues, then it is not a good product.

So my problem with the Mavic 2. First it requires a phone. I thought this was good because it would lower the cost of the unit. But it is really bad. If you don't have a phone, you have a brick. DJI has to upgrade apps for both Apple and Android, I am betting Apple gets the higher priority. If the company is slow to upgrade, you have problems/brick/crashed unit. I had to take my phone out of the safety of its case possible damage to a thousand dollar phone. I had to risk damaging the usbC port every time I wanted to fly, the port connector on the side of the holder is of poor design putting undue stress on your phones port. Now back to the phone software. Android updates can break apps. If you have this drone 5 years from now will DJI still update the app? if not you have a brick. A new phone and version can come out and may be incompatible. You are adding another set of variables to an already complex set of firmware updates and app updates.

So after having problems I start looking on the web for solutions. I see tons of problems. You cannot fly your drone without firmware updates. If you go to location where there is no cell service, and you need an update you are out of luck. Basically, you own a brick, and if you have the right phone, the right phone os version, DJI has update the app like it is suppose to, you have the latest firmware for the controller, drone and battery, you are in the right location to fly, the moon is in the 7th house and Jupiter aligns with Mars, you have a working drone instead of a brick. You drop your phone trying to connect it to the controller and break it, you have a brick again, your phone gets wet, your phone battery dies, your usb port gets damaged, you get a magnetic interference check app error, the dog eats your phone. You have a brick.

DJI should have made a drone that works by itself, no phone, no bricking the unit if a new firmware update comes out. The phone should only add a nicer display, or perhaps some addition feature. But adding the phone and a host rather a huge number of other variable which are potential problems is a bad idea in my opinion. That is why I returned the unit.

Who is the audience for this unit? If it is professionals, then they might put up with all the issues and complex interdependencies. But it seems to me they are aiming this drone at the average guy, perhaps someone who has more money than they should and the extra income to buy a new toy. Well I can tell you right now, if the app is not perfect, the registration process works easily, the startup and update is process less than 15 mins DJI is going to have a lot of returns this Christmas. The drone should fly right out of the box with little fuss. If not this is not a product for the masses and DJI should include the information I posted above to discourage joe average from buying this drone or there are going to be a million factory refurbished Mavic 2's out there.. like mine. If I would have read a post like this one explaining the problems and complex interdependences and the possibilities I would have never bought one. I know this for a fact. I bought a Ford F350 diesel back in 2004. That year the messed up the firmware updates over and over again, because the firmware on the turbo, fuel injection, transmission, and monitoring systems were dependent on each other. Ford bought that truck back from me and thousand of new ford truck owner (read it on the web) and now I will never own another one again. Just like DJI.

I have to say I am a little disappointed by the community response to the OP. Yes, he was expressing an opinion that differs from that of many DJI users, but Jeez, I can understand the guy's frustration. Something should work as advertised and DJI support should be helpful instead of go try another phone when you don't have one. DJI support reminds me of the old car mechanics who would replace one part after another until they finally hit the magic part and cost the owner hundreds of dollars replacing parts that weren't the problem. He seems to realize that almost any tech is going to require some tweaking but he tried that at least to some extent. At least the first three replies were negative to hostile and it got worse after that. We are here to help each other and a few, but not many posters offered that and the OP would have done well to take advantag3e of the offer. But most of the posts are attacks on the OP instead of trying to help. I can also understand why after that reception, the OP himself is taking it personally and posting about iron balls. Let's ramp it down on both sides and see if we can help the guy,

Reactions: FoxhallGH
I have to say I am a little disappointed by the community response to the OP. Yes, he was expressing an opinion that differs from that of many DJI users, but Jeez, I can understand the guy's frustration. Something should work as advertised and DJI support should be helpful instead of go try another phone when you don't have one. DJI support reminds me of the old car mechanics who would replace one part after another until they finally hit the magic part and cost the owner hundreds of dollars replacing parts that weren't the problem. He seems to realize that almost any tech is going to require some tweaking but he tried that at least to some extent. At least the first three replies were negative to hostile and it got worse after that. We are here to help each other and a few, but not many posters offered that and the OP would have done well to take advantag3e of the offer. But most of the posts are attacks on the OP instead of trying to help. I can also understand why after that reception, the OP himself is taking it personally and posting about iron balls. Let's ramp it down on both sides and see if we can help the guy,

The problem is not his frustration - it's his determination to blame his problems on poor design and implementation by DJI when the vast majority of users have few or no issues.

As for the phone - it's acting as far more than just a screen. As anyone who has tried to use older phones or tablets will know, there is significant processor power required for this application. DJI does make a screen - the CrystalSky, starting at around $500 and going up to $1000 for a reasonable size and brightness. Do you think that adding the extra cost of a rather bulky screen and processor to the aircraft would be a good move when virtually everyone using these has a perfectly capable cell phone or tablet for the purpose that they will likely carry anyway?

I've used numerous iOS and Android devices with DJI equipment, as well as the CrystalSky. Provided that it is a listed compatible device the problems are minimal, and no different to those faced by computer users in other use cases. It just requires a little patience and the acceptance that, since these generally work just fine and most issues are user errors, the problem is likely not the equipment and certainly not the basic technology. The OP displayed none of that kind of critical thinking.

I bought one, a Mavic 2 zoom. After several days and multiple calls to support. I returned it. IT NEVER EVEN LEFT THE GROUND!. Do Mavic 2's work? Obviously, and they get great footage people use them all the time. But after my experience I will tell you why I don't think people should buy them (but of course, free country, buy what you want, but also freedom of speech so I will tell you my opinion). I am going to assume that people with apple phones/devices have better results because if they had mine, DJI would be out of business, I cannot prove this but I think it is true. I bought my M2zoom and I downloaded the app and try to sign up, error, no connected network. Didn't work, called support, they said try using the web site. I had other problems with app but eventually got to the point I could turn on the drone and controller. Connecting, error mag interf check app. Called support again. I had at that point reinstalled the app 4 times afer first suggestion from support. I searched the web DJI Mavic Pro "Mag Interference-Check App" problem still no solution. After being on the phone, the support guy says. You have to use another device. I told him. My Samsung Note 8 is supported according to your website. He said we cannot move forward without another device. My phone controls my other photographic equipment fine, some are free apps.

To preface this. I did my research. I thought I was getting a good drone. Many good comments and reviews. After I could not get the unit up and running, I started searching and I found all the problems and bad stuff. I am not an idiot. I know there are people who don't know what they are doing, and there are going to be some defective units. There will always be problems, BUT, are they reasonable and fairly infrequent? If there are too many or it is so complicated the average person cannot resolve issues, then it is not a good product.

So my problem with the Mavic 2. First it requires a phone. I thought this was good because it would lower the cost of the unit. But it is really bad. If you don't have a phone, you have a brick. DJI has to upgrade apps for both Apple and Android, I am betting Apple gets the higher priority. If the company is slow to upgrade, you have problems/brick/crashed unit. I had to take my phone out of the safety of its case possible damage to a thousand dollar phone. I had to risk damaging the usbC port every time I wanted to fly, the port connector on the side of the holder is of poor design putting undue stress on your phones port. Now back to the phone software. Android updates can break apps. If you have this drone 5 years from now will DJI still update the app? if not you have a brick. A new phone and version can come out and may be incompatible. You are adding another set of variables to an already complex set of firmware updates and app updates.

So after having problems I start looking on the web for solutions. I see tons of problems. You cannot fly your drone without firmware updates. If you go to location where there is no cell service, and you need an update you are out of luck. Basically, you own a brick, and if you have the right phone, the right phone os version, DJI has update the app like it is suppose to, you have the latest firmware for the controller, drone and battery, you are in the right location to fly, the moon is in the 7th house and Jupiter aligns with Mars, you have a working drone instead of a brick. You drop your phone trying to connect it to the controller and break it, you have a brick again, your phone gets wet, your phone battery dies, your usb port gets damaged, you get a magnetic interference check app error, the dog eats your phone. You have a brick.

DJI should have made a drone that works by itself, no phone, no bricking the unit if a new firmware update comes out. The phone should only add a nicer display, or perhaps some addition feature. But adding the phone and a host rather a huge number of other variable which are potential problems is a bad idea in my opinion. That is why I returned the unit.

Who is the audience for this unit? If it is professionals, then they might put up with all the issues and complex interdependencies. But it seems to me they are aiming this drone at the average guy, perhaps someone who has more money than they should and the extra income to buy a new toy. Well I can tell you right now, if the app is not perfect, the registration process works easily, the startup and update is process less than 15 mins DJI is going to have a lot of returns this Christmas. The drone should fly right out of the box with little fuss. If not this is not a product for the masses and DJI should include the information I posted above to discourage joe average from buying this drone or there are going to be a million factory refurbished Mavic 2's out there.. like mine. If I would have read a post like this one explaining the problems and complex interdependences and the possibilities I would have never bought one. I know this for a fact. I bought a Ford F350 diesel back in 2004. That year the messed up the firmware updates over and over again, because the firmware on the turbo, fuel injection, transmission, and monitoring systems were dependent on each other. Ford bought that truck back from me and thousand of new ford truck owner (read it on the web) and now I will never own another one again. Just like DJI.

Geez... I've read tales of other dissatisfied buyers, but yours is possibly the longest one so far. I have two Mavic Pro's and four P2 V+'s and have used my Samsung S7 with no problems other than the small screen, which led me to getting an Apple iPad Mini 4 then the iPad Pro 10.5 so that I could see video with a larger screen.[

As it has been said "Your mileage may vary."

Wouldn't buy one of those either.
If DJI depends on android, the next android update could kill whatever device it is. If DJI or any manufacturer does not update their app, it no longer works. I have purchase apps that no longer work because of phone updates.
And I have dozens that have made it through numerous OS upgrades without problem....

I wouldn’t necessarily conclude that they just don’t care. Have you ever worked at a company that had been so successful and experienced “growing pains”???

I would more assume that there are so many demands on the technical staff from management that they are overwhelmed. Also it could be that management is too focused on expansion and new products to remain the leaders in the drone market that they are dedicating less resources to working out bugs in existing products. Happens every day in the computer world.

I have had zero issues with my setup. I also have now dedicated an old android phone to my Mavic and had up to now been using my iPhone with zero problems.

Computers and now phones can be customized in trillions of ways so it is a miracle that anything works anymore!

I think that it's more like DJI is a Chinese company serving a worldwide use base. Chinese tech business / customer service culture isn't the same as (insert country of choice) tech business / customer service culture.

And, of course, there's many companies that just avoid dealing with their customers. Facebook and eBay come to mind.

I agree that the need for a phone is a weak link in the Mavic design. There are so many different models with different versions of software and other apps installed, there is no guarantee that one will work. Even one which works today, may not work after the next update of the phone or DJI app.
DJI could avoid a lot of user issues and support requirements if they provided a built in screen.
I have two Yuneec drones that came with a display built in and have never had a problem with them. The GoPro Karma and Autel Evo also come with a display built in. No worries about cables or compatibility. They just work.

Not sure I'd use the "absolute flop" of the GoPro Karma as a an example.

Reactions: dannybgoode
The problem is not his frustration - it's his determination to blame his problems on poor design and implementation by DJI when the vast majority of users have few or no issues.

As for the phone - it's acting as far more than just a screen. As anyone who has tried to use older phones or tablets will know, there is significant processor power required for this application. DJI does make a screen - the CrystalSky, starting at around $500 and going up to $1000 for a reasonable size and brightness. Do you think that adding the extra cost of a rather bulky screen and processor to the aircraft would be a good move when virtually everyone using these has a perfectly capable cell phone or tablet for the purpose that they will likely carry anyway?

I've used numerous iOS and Android devices with DJI equipment, as well as the CrystalSky. Provided that it is a listed compatible device the problems are minimal, and no different to those faced by computer users in other use cases. It just requires a little patience and the acceptance that, since these generally work just fine and most issues are user errors, the problem is likely not the equipment and certainly not the basic technology. The OP displayed none of that kind of critical thinking.
I think its a stretch to say that the vast majority of users have not had issues. This forum and others are full of reports of issues with phone or tablet compatibility. There have been many problems with the CrystalSky which is designed specifically for the DJI drones.

I have two devices that initially worked with the Mavic when I purchased it. After later updates to the GoApp, these no longer work well. (Fortunately they work with my Anafi so the cost is not entirely wasted.) The third device I have purchased works OK for now.
While many folks might have a capable cell phone, you don't want to strip it down of other apps and tie it up as a display for the drone.
I hope DJI eventually releases a controller with a built in screen. There was a prototype which was seen in photos about the time the Mavic 2 was announced.

1. I love the integrated controller screen on my old P4P+
  2. My new M2Z set up just fine with my iPhone 8
  3. I decided I hated using my phone even though it worked
  4. I bought a CrystalSky 7.85 Ultra
  5. I fly happily, safely, and as often as I can
  6. I'm wondering if the guy that wrote this works for a DJI competitor

I would like to see something like the controller that Autel displayed with the EVO. Unfortunately, It has never been released.

Attachments

• evo screen.jpg
    evo screen.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 19
I'll add this really quick: Anyone use DJI Assistant?
@r1ch I would download assistant and use it to force upgrade the software on the drone and the controller. It's a little clunky, but I like doing updates hard tethered to my laptop as apposed to wirelessly through the app.

DJI Mavic Pro – Specs, Tutorials & Guides – DJI

Well I just bought a regular Mavic Pro alpine white addition and I love it ! No problems at all, connecting, flying, controls! So is this only the Mavic 2 you feel is a problem or both ? I love my Mavic and was looking forward to the m2p!

I am not sure what you are asking. When I said I returned the unit, I was saying, I packed it up in its box. I called Amazon, they gave me a return slip. I have to box it for shipping and send it out. I have not done that yet. As far as Amazon is concerned I have returned it. As far as I am concerned at that point I had returned it and it was going back. I have not yet taken it to the shipping store and physically sent it back.
So you didn't return it...

Reactions: Slim.slamma
A bit like you repeat those things you've picked up somewhere?
Contrary to what you've heard, Android is Android.
The phone and tablet makers don't have individual customised versions of Android but they may add their own apps.
The differences in performance are due to hardware differences rather than the variations in the operating system.
You are either REALLY devoted to Android, Or you really hate Apple. Do you work at Google? :D
You continue to argue, when I am citing FACTS. Android is and does exactly what it has been created for. BUT it ABSOLUTELY gets stripped and modified to suit certain situations. It gets modified by user input before it is installed at the device origin. Certain functions on, and certain ones not. Also, the Linux Kernal does not do anything directly. It depends on the shell it is within, and the device it is on. The shell is different on MANY devices.
Here's one explanation;

What is Android OS? - TCC

Benefits of Android OS
Android OS offers many benefits, most of which are because it allows “direct manipulation” interface for smart and natural phone use. Due to Android’s permissive licensing and open source code, developers, carriers, and device manufacturers are able to customize, adjust, and distribute the Android platform freely. And because of the open nature of the platform, Android phones are extremely customizable with various launchers, themes, and wallpapers.

Reactions: Slim.slamma
Found some pictures of the rumored Mavic controller with built in screen. This would solve so many issues if they really produce this controller.

Attachments

• mavic controller.jpeg
    mavic controller.jpeg
    31.7 KB · Views: 21
  • mavic remote 2.jpeg
    mavic remote 2.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 23
  • mavic remote front view.jpeg
    mavic remote front view.jpeg
    50.7 KB · Views: 23
several issues you mention are incorrect, and my coffee is getting cold. One: you don't need a phone to fly, and in fact you are better off turning the wifi off on you phone when using the quad, rc and CrystalSky. Three pieces of hardware and you are up and exploring. Using dji assistant 2 for mavic assures any upgrades will be successful.
You explored that one avenue pretty thoroughly but you had some incorrect assumptions that turned it into a head banger, not necessary at all. If you want to fly may I suggest you ask questions first then buy, there are some sharp operators on this forum and just reading daily comments will increase your success and safety. Good luck.
edit: Ok four pieces of hardware, you'll want to get a cradle to hold the Crystal Sky and controller, I'm using evolution3D's model DJI Mavic Pro 2 - CrystalSky Mount V2
Of course you'll need the appropriate chargers for the three types of batteries being used.
Ok, you like me may have a tendency to go off the rails when a new experience doesn't follow our expected outcome, buck up and re-engage, live and learn.

Attachments

• P1010996.jpg
    P1010996.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Reactions: JDawg
I think its a stretch to say that the vast majority of users have not had issues. This forum and others are full of reports of issues with phone or tablet compatibility. There have been many problems with the CrystalSky which is designed specifically for the DJI drones.

I have two devices that initially worked with the Mavic when I purchased it. After later updates to the GoApp, these no longer work well. (Fortunately they work with my Anafi so the cost is not entirely wasted.) The third device I have purchased works OK for now.
While many folks might have a capable cell phone, you don't want to strip it down of other apps and tie it up as a display for the drone.
I hope DJI eventually releases a controller with a built in screen. There was a prototype which was seen in photos about the time the Mavic 2 was announced.

I don't think it's a stretch at all, although maybe we need to be clear what we mean by "vast majority". What do you take that to mean?

These kinds of forums are always disproportionately used by users with problems - few people post to say that they had no problems except in response to these kinds of posts.

I've probably spent as much time as anyone analyzing problems with DJI equipment, and I would estimate that at least 90% of the time it's user error. So maybe only 10% of the people reporting problems here, which is only a fraction of the user base anyway, not 10% of all users, actually have equipment problems. I think the problem rate is tiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaleUt.