DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why you shouldn't buy a Mavic 2 or any drone that relies on your phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you wearing anything magnetic?
do you use a magnetic mount fore your phone?
Is there a magnetic clasp on the phone cover or on your watch?
Is the drone away from all metal when you get this error?
Are you using a $5 cable to connect the phone to the RC? If so use an OEM phone cable on the bottom usb of the remote control.
Have you set up the phone to be used as a display? Androids dont come pre set up for DJI. You have to do that yourself, and it varies with models of phones. That is why Android people dont like apple, apple sets itself up for you.

On second thought, maybe you should just return it and maybe find a flight simulator to fly in VR.
I have cast iron balls to be able to put up with the jerks on this site. I am using the cable supplied with the drone that connects to the left side of the controller. During troubleshooting with the support person, I used the Samsung usb c cable that came with the phone. I don't like apple phones because they are more expensive, tie you to their closed system. You can still add memory to android and some a new battery, No user serviceable parts in an apple. Plus mac laptops are double the price of a pc for the same thing.

Reactions: ColinF
Have to agree on the design of the controller to Phone interface, it does stress the phone's USB port and is a bit of a faff clamping the phone in

Not perfect but what is?

I have cast iron balls to be able to put up with the jerks on this site. I am using the cable supplied with the drone that connects to the left side of the controller. During troubleshooting with the support person, I used the Samsung usb c cable that came with the phone. I don't like apple phones because they are more expensive, tie you to their closed system. You can still add memory to android and some a new battery, No user serviceable parts in an apple. Plus mac laptops are double the price of a pc for the same thing.
Apple phones are not that much more than quality android phones, It is their closed system that makes them so reliable with DJI software. Android is subject to alterations by the phone manufacturers, so android has MANY different versions, it is hard for anyone to write software that works with every version. You can change batteries in EVERY iphone ever made, but usually dont have to. You dont need memory if you have a computer to copy files to, or a cloud or NAS.
So, you haven't really researched any of those statements and are probably just repeating what you have heard on Android sites.
NEVER THE LESS, It should be able to work with your phone.
Do you want to make this drone work? or have you given up?

I'm surprised 55 yrs old fig you'd have the patience needed to learn this hobby. If you got the blue screen of death you didn't through the computer out you found a work around. I've got over 350,000 on mine lot of trial and error, we all have questions but I was feeling real comfortable at the end of first week because I was determined to get this right. (Obsession). I could set this up in 5 min give it to a 7 yr. old and guarantee he could fly it, it flies itself. First days of the internet you looked at the screen and said what am I lookin at, you learned it. It takes time like anything one step at a time or its overwhelming. Its not a toy, its state of the art technology and does what you tell it. You have to understand every aspect of this equipment before you can criticize. This is like a graphics card and eye candy absolutely fascinating.

Reactions: nd4wmike
Android is subject to alterations by the phone manufacturers, so android has MANY different versions, it is hard for anyone to write software that works with every version.
So, you haven't really researched any of those statements and are probably just repeating what you have heard on Android sites.
A bit like you repeat those things you've picked up somewhere?
Contrary to what you've heard, Android is Android.
The phone and tablet makers don't have individual customised versions of Android but they may add their own apps.
The differences in performance are due to hardware differences rather than the variations in the operating system.

A bit like you repeat those things you've picked up somewhere?
Contrary to what you've heard, Android is Android.
The phone and tablet makers don't have individual customised versions of Android but they may add their own apps.
The differences in performance are due to hardware differences rather than the variations in the operating system.

Except Amazon of course ;). FireOS is a custom Android fork.

Further the phone manufacturers do add some customisations to make their launchers work (TouchWiz etc all require some tinkering) which is why it takes time for Android to update across all the many different devices, if at all.

But yes, by and large Android is Android and the compatibility issues are down to the millions of differing specifications of the devices rather than the OS.

Perhaps I had a defective one?
Most likely. Whole post of nonsense of how all these devices are bad, based on simply just a faulty one.

Know what, when thousands of people are doing well with their devices and you aren't it's usually not your experience that's the reference. First thing should be to question your particular device and set up.

Most likely. Whole post of nonsense of how all these devices are bad, based on simply just a faulty one.

Know what, when thousands of people are doing well with their devices and you aren't it's usually not your experience that's the reference. First thing should be to question your particular device and set up.

I think it is the operator that is faulty in this case :)

It’s a shame that you got a bad drone but it happens. I have5 drones and 4 are dji . I got all of mine setup using my 5 year old iPad . I thought it was bulky with its thick case so I gave my very old phone a shot . I-phone SE . Worked fine but the screen is too small for my old eyes . So I broke down and bought a used iPad mini 4 to use on my drones . Well it’s just right . Not to small , not to big , just right . It stays off line and will be the screen till it wears our or the drones wear out . I did not know about all the tech trouble but my old tech worked fine with zero trouble . My yuneec drone don’t use a display screen as there controller has a display but I like the dji crap better .
Too each there own I guess

It’s a shame that you got a bad drone but it happens. I have5 drones and 4 are dji . I got all of mine setup using my 5 year old iPad . I thought it was bulky with its thick case so I gave my very old phone a shot . I-phone SE . Worked fine but the screen is too small for my old eyes . So I broke down and bought a used iPad mini 4 to use on my drones . Well it’s just right . Not to small , not to big , just right . It stays off line and will be the screen till it wears our or the drones wear out . I did not know about all the tech trouble but my old tech worked fine with zero trouble . My yuneec drone don’t use a display screen as there controller has a display but I like the dji crap better .
Too each there own I guess

And the Yuneeq controller is still just a custom Android ROM.

There are plenty of options now. Autel Evo, or even try Parrot Anafi. I think most of these drones require a mobile device to access and control the smart features of your drone.

****!!!
I’m new here.... Mine works perfect! Glad I didn’t get a chance to read this before my purchase... going out this morning to test the newest firmware update.

I did buy a preowned iPad mini4 for 125$ on Facebook market place dedicated for this drone only. That has worked out great so far. ✌️

Last edited:
Seems strange that thousands of us, all over the world, are flying Mavics, with very few problems. Why is this? Are we magic, or just more patient and painstaking, or tolerant? I have been flying model aircraft for over 60 years, and recently bought and flew Phantom 1, 2 and 3 with very few problems. My Mavic Pro, bought second hand, is used with an old Ipad Mini, also second hand, and gives brilliant video and stills. No problems, no fuss. Best thing since sliced bread, as my mother would have said.

I’ve had a Mavic Pro for over a year and I’ve used it with my iPad and iPhone and never have any major issues. Sometimes Mag Interference but it’s because of real mag issues. Updates are quick and easy. I LOVE my MP and would only ever buy DJI drones. You should reconsider or think about getting a cheap tablet to run your drone on.

I bought one, a Mavic 2 zoom. After several days and multiple calls to support. I returned it. IT NEVER EVEN LEFT THE GROUND!. Do Mavic 2's work? Obviously, and they get great footage people use them all the time. But after my experience I will tell you why I don't think people should buy them (but of course, free country, buy what you want, but also freedom of speech so I will tell you my opinion). I am going to assume that people with apple phones/devices have better results because if they had mine, DJI would be out of business, I cannot prove this but I think it is true. I bought my M2zoom and I downloaded the app and try to sign up, error, no connected network. Didn't work, called support, they said try using the web site. I had other problems with app but eventually got to the point I could turn on the drone and controller. Connecting, error mag interf check app. Called support again. I had at that point reinstalled the app 4 times afer first suggestion from support. I searched the web DJI Mavic Pro "Mag Interference-Check App" problem still no solution. After being on the phone, the support guy says. You have to use another device. I told him. My Samsung Note 8 is supported according to your website. He said we cannot move forward without another device. My phone controls my other photographic equipment fine, some are free apps.

To preface this. I did my research. I thought I was getting a good drone. Many good comments and reviews. After I could not get the unit up and running, I started searching and I found all the problems and bad stuff. I am not an idiot. I know there are people who don't know what they are doing, and there are going to be some defective units. There will always be problems, BUT, are they reasonable and fairly infrequent? If there are too many or it is so complicated the average person cannot resolve issues, then it is not a good product.

So my problem with the Mavic 2. First it requires a phone. I thought this was good because it would lower the cost of the unit. But it is really bad. If you don't have a phone, you have a brick. DJI has to upgrade apps for both Apple and Android, I am betting Apple gets the higher priority. If the company is slow to upgrade, you have problems/brick/crashed unit. I had to take my phone out of the safety of its case possible damage to a thousand dollar phone. I had to risk damaging the usbC port every time I wanted to fly, the port connector on the side of the holder is of poor design putting undue stress on your phones port. Now back to the phone software. Android updates can break apps. If you have this drone 5 years from now will DJI still update the app? if not you have a brick. A new phone and version can come out and may be incompatible. You are adding another set of variables to an already complex set of firmware updates and app updates.

So after having problems I start looking on the web for solutions. I see tons of problems. You cannot fly your drone without firmware updates. If you go to location where there is no cell service, and you need an update you are out of luck. Basically, you own a brick, and if you have the right phone, the right phone os version, DJI has update the app like it is suppose to, you have the latest firmware for the controller, drone and battery, you are in the right location to fly, the moon is in the 7th house and Jupiter aligns with Mars, you have a working drone instead of a brick. You drop your phone trying to connect it to the controller and break it, you have a brick again, your phone gets wet, your phone battery dies, your usb port gets damaged, you get a magnetic interference check app error, the dog eats your phone. You have a brick.

DJI should have made a drone that works by itself, no phone, no bricking the unit if a new firmware update comes out. The phone should only add a nicer display, or perhaps some addition feature. But adding the phone and a host rather a huge number of other variable which are potential problems is a bad idea in my opinion. That is why I returned the unit.

Who is the audience for this unit? If it is professionals, then they might put up with all the issues and complex interdependencies. But it seems to me they are aiming this drone at the average guy, perhaps someone who has more money than they should and the extra income to buy a new toy. Well I can tell you right now, if the app is not perfect, the registration process works easily, the startup and update is process less than 15 mins DJI is going to have a lot of returns this Christmas. The drone should fly right out of the box with little fuss. If not this is not a product for the masses and DJI should include the information I posted above to discourage joe average from buying this drone or there are going to be a million factory refurbished Mavic 2's out there.. like mine. If I would have read a post like this one explaining the problems and complex interdependences and the possibilities I would have never bought one. I know this for a fact. I bought a Ford F350 diesel back in 2004. That year the messed up the firmware updates over and over again, because the firmware on the turbo, fuel injection, transmission, and monitoring systems were dependent on each other. Ford bought that truck back from me and thousand of new ford truck owner (read it on the web) and now I will never own another one again. Just like DJI.
DJI has zero competition that’s why they don’t care.

DJI has zero competition that’s why they don’t care.

I wouldn’t necessarily conclude that they just don’t care. Have you ever worked at a company that had been so successful and experienced “growing pains”???

I would more assume that there are so many demands on the technical staff from management that they are overwhelmed. Also it could be that management is too focused on expansion and new products to remain the leaders in the drone market that they are dedicating less resources to working out bugs in existing products. Happens every day in the computer world.

I have had zero issues with my setup. I also have now dedicated an old android phone to my Mavic and had up to now been using my iPhone with zero problems.

Computers and now phones can be customized in trillions of ways so it is a miracle that anything works anymore!

Reactions: RTKD
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique