DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wilderness areas.

dronerdave

Reactions
Now that I'm starting to learn how to read sectional maps a little, I've got a few questions about some of the areas I'd like to fly at.

How does one determine if a wilderness area is off limits? I've attached maps and put green arrows where I off road and fish at and are all open for hunting during the correct time of year. The maps show wilderness areas all over where I travel (some out of the blue lines with dots). I thought they repersented closed zones for flight similar to what's around Yosemite NP. Also I see a few places where it shows a military operation area and figure those are off limits...correct?

sonora pass.JPGJohn Muir.JPG

I think you know the answer to that, the blue line and dotted edged polygons labeled as wilderness area are official wilderness areas established and protected under the federal wilderness act. These areas may be on BLM, Forest Service, Fish and Wildlife Service, and National Park lands, but they are all managed the same way in that they exclude all motorized equipment, and planes need to stay usually at least 2000 feet above them. On the FAA sectional charts, they also use the same color scheme for conservation areas and other protected areas managed by National Parks and other agencies which may exclude drone use as well.

Sometimes the sectional chart will have additional information about the regs fot them on the side, But if in doubt definitely call whoever manages the property they are on.

2BA226F3-77B8-453E-A8DB-2C5DF2354571.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawkwind
All wilderness areas are off limits for sUAS operations. Technically you can fly over them, but you cannot launch or land without agency authorization.

OK, what about the conservation areas where the sectional chart recommends aircraft staying at least 2000 feet above them?

Also I see a few places where it shows a military operation area and figure those are off limits...correct?
You have to look at the sectional and NOTAMs for MOAs. The floor of Foothill MOA 1 is 2,000 ft AGL and it's time of use is "intermittent by NOTAM."

Reactions: AMann
I routinely operate a UAS legally on public land all over the USA. First, a sectional chart is a great resource to refer to before flying; kudos for getting that far! Be warned, a sectional has severe limits; it's only going to show you National Park areas (which are a NOGO zone for any UAS flights, just avoid them). My recommendation is to visit your states DNR (Department of Natural Resources or equivalent) website and look for public hunting/hiking/horse back riding/fishing areas. The majority of states in the USA allow UAS operation on their land (Some states like Colorado are a bit stringent). Find a public land area that suits your needs then load the website for that particular place; most states assign a PDF attachment (brochure) of that particular park/conservation area/wildlife management area/(Many names). Read through the pamphlet and ensure they don't have any special rules concerning UAS operation (most don't). Once you've checked that off, my next bit of advise is to check what hunting season is active. There's almost always some hunting going on (Big-Game deer/elk/pigs/etc, Turkey, Small-Game, waterfowl, etc). Typically, Jan-March and May-August (Except hikers in summer) are low human traffic times in the woods. If you decide to fly during a hunting season, avoid early morning / late evening flights; that's when most of us are out there (unless you can confirm no one is in the area, depends on many factors). Mid day is your best time to fly if there's a hunting season and you see a lot of folks around. The point of all this is to avoid scaring off game and having an angry armed hunter after you, even them hearing it is enough to ruin their hunt (I'm a hunting/fishing nut). This also brings up my last point, when operating in the wilderness the FAA doesn't want you harrassing wildlife. By all means film away but keep a respectful distance from them, if you watch them close enough you can usually tell when they don't like the proximity; a slow separation usually keeps them calm and you establish the "safe" distance.

Let us know what you end up doing and post a video; I love watching anything wildlife!

-Chris

Last edited:
I routinely operate a UAS legally on public land all over the USA. First, a sectional chart is a great resource to refer to before flying; kudos for getting that far! Be warned, a sectional has severe limits; it's only going to show you National Park areas (which are a NOGO zone for any UAS flights, just avoid them). My recommendation is to visit your states DNR (Department of Natural Resources or equivalent) website and look for public hunting/hiking/horse back riding/fishing areas. The majority of states in the USA allow UAS operation on their land (Some states like Colorado are a bit stringent). Find an public land area that suits your needs then load the website for that particular place; most states assign a PDF attachment (brochure) of that particular park/conservation area/wildlife management area/(Many names). Read through the pamphlet and ensure they don't have any special rules concerning UAS operation (most don't). Once you've checked that off, my next bit of advise is to check what hunting season is active. There's almost always some hunting going on (Big-Game deer/elk/pigs/etc, Turkey, Small-Game, waterfowl, etc). Typically, Jan-March and May-August (Except hikers in summer) are low human traffic times in the woods. If you decide to fly during a hunting season, avoid early morning / late evening flights; that's when most of us are out there (unless you can confirm no one is in the area, depends on many factors). Mid day is your best time to fly if there's a hunting season and you see a lot of folks around. The point of all this is to avoid scaring off game and having an angry armed hunter after you. This also brings up my last point, when operating in the wilderness the FAA doesn't want you harrassing wildlife. By all means film away but keep a respectful distance from them, if you watch them close enough you can usually tell when they don't like the proximity; a slow separation usually keeps them calm and you establish the "safe" distance.

-Chris

Very well said! I have a couple small plots of BLM managed lands near my house I legally fly, they are not on the regular BLM maps they pass out as the plots are less than a couple thousand acres each. A good way to identify land management of public land (in the western states at least) is to use the map at publiclands.org:

Reactions: ChrisOutdoors
Thanks for all the info folks. Somewhat disheartening to see all these off limits areas that I had previously thought were wide open. What kind of threw me is Emigrant wilderness area shows a boundary but is a place I off road in. We shoot in some of those spots and although I've never hunted that area, I'm almost positive it's open for hunting. I'll have to pull out my forest service maps to see if it shows any boundary lines. I will check out those web site as well but am lucky to have a long life friend who is that areas biologist and I can check with her. BTW I am an avid outdoors person, so I know how upset I'd be if a drone flew over me even if I was just fishing. I've learned a bunch over the last few weeks thanks to this forums members.

You have to look at the sectional and NOTAMs for MOAs. The floor of Foothill MOA 1 is 2,000 ft AGL and it's time of use is "intermittent by NOTAM."

Just to clarify about the Foothill MOA area. Are you saying it's OK for an aircraft to fly from ground level to 2000' in that area or do they need authorization to fly below 2000' AGL? I understand 400 AGL is max, but there are a lot of places I off road at within that MOA I'd like to fly at. Looks like I need to do a little more homework.

Thanks for all the info folks. Somewhat disheartening to see all these off limits areas that I had previously thought were wide open. What kind of threw me is Emigrant wilderness area shows a boundary but is a place I off road in. We shoot in some of those spots and although I've never hunted that area, I'm almost positive it's open for hunting. I'll have to pull out my forest service maps to see if it shows any boundary lines. I will check out those web site as well but am lucky to have a long life friend who is that areas biologist and I can check with her. BTW I am an avid outdoors person, so I know how upset I'd be if a drone flew over me even if I was just fishing. I've learned a bunch over the last few weeks thanks to this forums members.

Just to clarify about the Foothill MOA area. Are you saying it's OK for an aircraft to fly from ground level to 2000' in that area or do they need authorization to fly below 2000' AGL? I understand 400 AGL is max, but there are a lot of places I off road at within that MOA I'd like to fly at. Looks like I need to do a little more homework.

My first season working as a fisheries biologist was on the Stanislaus NF. You can legally hunt and fish in FS wilderness areas with proper permits and in season. You can also fish in NP wilderness areas but hunting there is usually not permitted.

If you are driving on legal FS system roads and trails going through wilderness areas, the roads themselves are “cherry stemmed” and the wilderness boundary is adjacent to both sides of it.

I still wouldn't use the road to fly into a wilderness area boundary and applaud your desire to not do the same for not wanting to disturb others! :)

Correct, the airspace below the 2,000 ft floor is not within the MOA.

Also I see a few places where it shows a military operation area and figure those are off limits...correct?
Unless something has changed recently, it's OK to fly within an MOA, just know that there could be military flying there for practice, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: kadras
Thanks folks. Most of my flights that I want to take of my off road vehicle are within 300 to 400 ' away from me or closer. If I'm in the hills I keep my bird close to home. There is a really cool shelf road that has steep drops and I always have thought I'd like to get a different perspective if flying just off the road in the canyon. I saw MOA and worried it would be off limits. blk rock.jpg

Reactions: AMann
Unless something has changed recently, it's OK to fly within an MOA, just know that there could be military flying there for practice, etc.
Correct, one can fly within an MOA. Here is the FAA wording from the Aeronautical Information Publication (AIP)
MOAs consist of airspace of defined vertical and lateral limits established for the purpose of separating certain military training activities from IFR traffic. Whenever a MOA is being used, nonparticipating IFR traffic may be cleared through a MOA if IFR separation can be provided by ATC. Otherwise, ATC will reroute or restrict nonparticipating IFR traffic.

Pilots operating under VFR should exercise extreme caution while flying within a MOA when military activity is being conducted. The activity status (active/inactive) of MOAs may change frequently. Therefore, pilots should contact any FSS within 100 miles of the area to obtain accurate real-time information concerning the MOA hours of operation. Prior to entering an active MOA, pilots should contact the controlling agency for traffic advisories.

Correct, one can fly within an MOA. Here is the FAA wording from the Aeronautical Information Publication (AIP)
MOAs consist of airspace of defined vertical and lateral limits established for the purpose of separating certain military training activities from IFR traffic. Whenever a MOA is being used, nonparticipating IFR traffic may be cleared through a MOA if IFR separation can be provided by ATC. Otherwise, ATC will reroute or restrict nonparticipating IFR traffic.

Pilots operating under VFR should exercise extreme caution while flying within a MOA when military activity is being conducted. The activity status (active/inactive) of MOAs may change frequently. Therefore, pilots should contact any FSS within 100 miles of the area to obtain accurate real-time information concerning the MOA hours of operation. Prior to entering an active MOA, pilots should contact the controlling agency for traffic advisories.

Yeah, but some MOA’s just shouldn’t have drones flying in them at any elevation at all...

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B and kadras
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying