DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would you upgrade

Iwf

Reactions
So to all you Mav 2 users out there, was it worth the upgrade?

I've a Mav Pro 1 and Air and have been thinking of upgrading, keeping the Air or even selling both in favor of a Mav 2

I'm certainly not a heavy user. My Mav has problem not seen more than 50 hours and the Air probably less that 10. i'm not too impressed with DJI adding features to the Mav 2 that limits its use. I'm just on the edge of the Heathrow Zone so never fly above around 100m and then only in the local park when no one else is around. So i'm a holiday or weekend flier.

I've a few accessories, filters and the like so the'd need replacing too.

So is it worth while ?

I would say consider what you want to use it for, if the 2 has a feature that you really want but the 1 hasn't then go for it, as Starz says you won’t be disappointed.
If your Pro 1 does everything you want why change what works for you.

If you use Litchi, it might work better on older models. There's a glitch in the Mavic 2's that can cause jerky videos (also in the dji app version, too)

Thanks all. Good advice. Is there any reason I shouldn’t upgrade?

I don’t know if any been using a p3p then went to a p4 and even had The controller modded professionally with a 4hawks raptor xr. It’s literally bigger than iPad mini. And while it did triple the range from what it was it’s nothing compared to what Mavic to zoom does it literally deals with all the digital noise in my neighborhood and from a nearby power station and it goes miles with out even a half second freeze. The only thing that I have noticed about mine is I think I will need to get some landing gear. I have been amazed with it.

So to all you Mav 2 users out there, was it worth the upgrade?

I've a Mav Pro 1 and Air and have been thinking of upgrading, keeping the Air or even selling both in favor of a Mav 2

I'm certainly not a heavy user. My Mav has problem not seen more than 50 hours and the Air probably less that 10. i'm not too impressed with DJI adding features to the Mav 2 that limits its use. I'm just on the edge of the Heathrow Zone so never fly above around 100m and then only in the local park when no one else is around. So i'm a holiday or weekend flier.

I've a few accessories, filters and the like so the'd need replacing too.

So is it worth while ?
so, i just spent a weekend flying the spare body i made - a zoom version. all in all, from the older mavic pro perspective - i see not many reasons to switch to mav 2 zoom. zooming itself is a nice thing, but, from the practical filming perspective, it is not really as a deal breaker as it appeared initially, at least to me.

mavic 2 pro - other body i have, it is a different story as image quality from that sensor is at totally different level. it has much better dynamic range, much better photographs, less distortions at the edge of the frame - faces look way better than from zoom, etc.

so, i would say - if you do not need a drastic improvement of the quality of your shoots - then older mavic pro still would work just fine.

biggest concern i have on those new bodies is the possibility of overheat or build quality related issues causing IMU errors or shutdowns - as people post here, there was quite a bit times now discovered that unexpected crashes and issues were related to the problems with IMUs. that is not very encouraging, but, on my units i did not have anything like that yet, so, it is what it is.

just this weekend one of my racers burned down a motor while in flight and went down in quite a picturesque spiral with magic smoke emanating from 3rd motor, other one started throwing compass issues - so, stuff happens to anything... but, based on the history of mavic pro issues vocalized on this forum, it does not seem to be many posts where logs would indicate a IMU shutdown on the mavic pro. so, who knows.

still, quality of the mavic 2 pro camera now can only be surpassed only by much bigger drones - top phantom or inspire, so, if you want it - there aren`t many alternatives to it. and it is worth it, for sure.

Coming from a guy who loved his Mavic Pro. Yes, they Mavic 2 Pro is better. If you want the absolute best then yes it is better in every appreciable aspect. Not to mention, you can use the smartcontroller which takes the whole experience to another level.

lwf: Just so you know, Paul's suggestion above to use the DLog M profile would only be:

- if you have a fairly powerful computer to include a graphics card that isn't too old

- if you also have capable video editing software, (Premiere Pro and Davinci Resolve (PC) or Final Cut Pro (Mac)) and of course, know the basics of editing.

However, if editing doesn't float your bote and, if you just want the still photos and video from the drone, use Auto rather than DLog M and shoot JPG's for stills, not RAW.

true, but, whole point of using M2P is to use 10 bit color. it significantly improves quality of the video and makes huge difference in bad light and amount of shadow detail. the color conversion itself using lut does not take that much of resources, but, yes, is somewhat time and power consuming.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shandilya