DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Xiaomi's entrance in the drone market. DJI should seriously pay attention to their customers now.

With a 12MP 1/2.3" sensor and fixed aperture lens (just like the original Mavic), it's got a bit more evolving to do before it excites photographers.

Reactions: sar104
"entrance"? They've been doing some for quite a while, but always following a couple of years behind in tech and usually lower end. They sell enough so that they're seen rarely enough for you to think it's new :p

No 4K 60fps...I’ll pass.
Based on the price it’s obviously meant to compete with the Mavic Air, and possibly compete as an upgrade for those looking at a Spark. The Air also can’t do 4K/60. In fact, it looks like it may have the same sensor as the Air. At that price, it’s pretty attractive, but for the apparent lack of obstacle avoidance.

How is this a "rip off"? Most of the parts are quite different. Is it a rip off because it has propellers or because it folds?

It's not a rip off.

Most features, and even the terms for the quick shots, that sort of 'rip off'.
Yes totally different design.
Looks good on paper.

65km/hr is not too shabby.

7db reduction on the Mi Drone ?
So what's that saying, couldn't find it on the Mi site, why not just list the DB for the new one ?
Anyone know how this compares with say a MP ? Or MPP ?

If I was ever getting another drone I'd be looking for as quiet.

Very good dji needs to get there sh.. together, 700$ smart controller has issues, not happy about the line skipping Mavic2pro I got killer drone but they cheated us on the sensor and how the back legs rub when it folds anyway the more comp the better

At $500, this will take the air of Mavic Air and will give the mavic pro a run for itss money.
I love IT!!!

Too soon to predict that. Seen a few reviews on youtube and the impression one gets is that it's probably not going to mount any serious challenge to the Mavic Air, its price notwithstanding. The Mavic Air is quite a versatile and mean package sitting neatly between the Spark and the now reputed Mavic birds. So will take quite a bit making any serious inroads into that area.

The FIMI X8 SE is priced at the price of a DJI Spark and has some plus points over it like more fly time, 3x zoom camera, 4K 30fps video recording capability. But after looking at the reviews, the Spark still seems to be the better crafted machine overall.

Again, still early days. But i am sure Xiaomi's new entrant will find its own niche in the drone market.

Reactions: OldBlueHeron
Is that all you got??

No, I haven’t got it yet. I have only managed to get 3 M2pros and 2 M2zs.
It is either not released in this market or is on backorder or a waiting for the Pro version.

No, I haven’t got it yet. I have only managed to get 3 M2pros and 2 M2zs.
It is either not released in this market or is on backorder or a waiting for the Pro version.

Oh and forgot to mention that I really wanted to get the Mavic Air but it’s based on this fancy WiFi technology that I don’t understand ( I just keep reading about these different kinds of Gs, now it’s 5G) and the whopping 2375mAH battery for only$1000. Well one has to make difficult choices in life based on your limitations.

While the price is right, it is right for what you get and that is far less than most/all DJI products. Mainly, there is no collision avoidance on their drone. If someone wants to save $150 for no collision avoidance, more power to them. Personally, I think they would be giving up a lot. It takes a _lot_ of processing power for a drone to map its surroundings and run several cameras to maintain collision avoidance. They a years of catching up in order to offer a product that DJI already offers. I'm sure DJI already has a ton of tech sitting around to release once their sales start to slow.
I think Xiaomi is not constrained by technology. if you look at their latest offering in phones its pretty much up there:

Xiaomi Black Shark 2 comes with a 6.39-inch touchscreen display with a resolution of 1080 pixels by 2340 pixels at a PPI of 403 pixels per inch.
The Black Shark 2 is powered by 2.84GHz octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 processor and it comes with 6GB of RAM. The phone packs 128GB of internal storage cannot be expanded. As far as the cameras are concerned, the Black Shark 2 packs a 48-megapixel (f/1.75, 0.8-micron) + 12-megapixel (f/2.2, 1.0-micron) primary camera on the rear and a 20-megapixel front shooter for selfies.
The Black Shark 2 runs Android 9.0 Pie and is powered by a 4000mAh. It measures 163.61 x 75.01 x 8.77 (height x width x thickness) and weigh 205.00 grams.
The Black Shark 2 is a dual SIM (GSM and GSM) smartphone that accepts Nano-SIM and Nano-SIM. Connectivity options include Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth, USB Type-C, 3G and 4G (with support for Band 40 used by some LTE networks:5G ). Sensors on the phone include Face unlock, Fingerprint sensor, Compass Magnetometer, Proximity sensor, Accelerometer, Ambient light sensor, Gyroscope and Barometer

Their philosophy with drones is to offer what most of the drone pilots do. And with the LOS laws being strictly enforced along with other important ones, drones may end up as 3D helis, flown in dedicated flying fields.

But the point here is now we have a real choice and if DJI doesn't behave, its going find itself in the deep. Sensors notwithstanding.

The planning mode looks interesting - looks like a fairly intricate ability to create sophisticated flight plans

I used to build and fly quads way back and then moved to fixed wing FPV using goggles, but follow this thread out of interest in what's happening with the technology.

I see the Xiaomi has a small controller that will fit a phone - here's my question for all these craft - how is it possible to fly viewing a phone or even an iPad screen? When I try to take a photo using my phone or iPad in even moderately bright sunlight, the screen is very difficult to see, certainly not much detail. I can't imagine flying this way other than with a towel over my head to keep the light out.

Last edited:
Reactions: geevee
View attachment 68016

Seems like "Totally copied" might be a bit more accurate.
Well... if you think this way, let's say if cars had just come on the market in the last 6 years then suddenly Honda comes out with an SUV, say the Pilot. Then 2 years later we suddenly see a new company called Toyota appear, and they launch their new product, the Highlander! What would that be like? You see them on the road now, yet you don't think... Total Rip Off, or Totally Copied, do you?

There is no real difference here either, a design evolves, like a car or truck or SUV and there are the basics in the formula. Then, other manufacturers use the same design concepts to create their own versions. Hundai and Kia were not around many years ago, but now they are everywhere (there must be a nest somewhere) and no one is thinking Total Rip Off or Total Copy. We just have to get used to the idea that when a particular formula is arrived at, like a flying machine that has some great features, that will be the way all things of that nature, will evolve.

We don't think off Boeing and Airbus being companies that are ripping off each other, so why do we keep thinking that about drone manufacturers? Just some food for thought that I'd like to put out there, about the way the future of drone design is going and the new manufacturers that are yet to emerge on the market. Each will take their time to get established, then make their mark. Think back to when the Japanese made their debut into car manufacturing. I recall the thoughts were that Jap cars were crap. But look where they are today in the market hierarchy!

Last edited:
Reactions: Clinton1
Well... if you think this way, let's say if cars had just come on the market in the last 6 years then suddenly Honda comes out with an SUV, say the Pilot. Then 2 years later we suddenly a new company called Toyota and they launch their new product, the Highlander! What would that be like? You see them on the road now, yet you don't think... Total Rip Off, or Totally Copied, do you?

Therefore there is no real difference here either. A design evolves, like a car or truck or SUV and there are the basics in the formula. Then, other manufacturers use the same design concepts to create their own versions. Hundai and Kia were not around many years ago, but now they are everywhere (there must be a nest somewhere) and no one is thinking Total Rip Off or Total Copy, so we just have to get used to the idea that when a particular formula is arrived at, for a flying machine that has some create features, that will be the way all things of that nature will evolve.

We don't think off Boeing and Airbus being companies that are ripping off each other, so why do we keep thinking that about a drone manufacturer? Just some food for thought that I'd like to put out there, about the way the future of drone design is going and the new manufacturers that are yet to emerge on the market.

While my post wasn't completely serious, I'd also argue that your analogy is flawed. Car and airliner design has evolved progressively over decades of style and function optimization. Until a couple of years ago, there was nothing that looked remotely like a Mavic, even though there were plenty of other consumer drones out there. Out of essentially nowhere, and based on just the DJI Mavic, this is a blatant design copy.

Reactions: Brojon and Rich55
here's my question for all these craft - how is it possible to fly viewing a phone or even an iPad screen? When I try to take a photo using my phone or iPad in even moderately bright sunlight, the screen is very difficult to see, certainly not much detail. I can't imagine flying this way other than with a towel over my head to keep the light out.
Shady trees, walls and even big hats work well.

While the price is right, it is right for what you get and that is far less than most/all DJI products. Mainly, there is no collision avoidance on their drone. If someone wants to save $150 for no collision avoidance, more power to them. Personally, I think they would be giving up a lot. It takes a _lot_ of processing power for a drone to map its surroundings and run several cameras to maintain collision avoidance. They a years of catching up in order to offer a product that DJI already offers. I'm sure DJI already has a ton of tech sitting around to release once their sales start to slow.
Thanks for pointing out no avoidance system. As I read all the marketing material I completely missed that. It looks like a heck of a deal to me. I am still rookie till June, this looks like the perfect upgrade for my wife she has a Tello. I jumped in with both feet and bought MPP about 4 to 6 weeks before the latest Mavic release. Kind of glad I did not buy the latest MP2 edition. Last thing I need to be as a newbie is real life testing owner. Thanks again guess I will pass on this drone for now.

Same thing goes for cars, when the first station wagon came out, others copied it. When the first SUV came out, others copied that design concept. No one thinks one is ripping off the other in cars, so where is the difference? I'm not knocking you, just all those who keep shouting rip off!

Xiaomi Mijia 4K Action Camera - Review
Approx 4 miles distance with no accessories
4500 mAH battery
A very innovative RC design.
5.8ghz LTE Video with 2.4ghz RC transmission

At $500, this will take the air of Mavic Air and will give the mavic pro a run for itss money.
I love IT!!!
Competition is good! With 70% market share, someone will always be nibbling at DJI’s toes. The Xioami/FIMI SE is the new kid on the block and will garner attention for a while. I watched dozens of YT videos of the SE. the missing obstacle avoidance is a deal breaker for me and many other newbies.

I remember the same buzz around the Hubsan Zion during pre-launch and early shipments. Now the discussions center on what’s wrong with the Zino and how Hubsan has handled issues discovered by early testers.

Time and multiple testers will find their warts. How they respond to problems is more important than the feature set.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d