DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

4 day old M2P ran over by car, incredible repair bill $$$ :(

It was less than 30°F here in TX, not something we're used to down here ;)

That makes me feel much better. My flight instructor is a South West senior pilot and instructor. I've selectively failed to mention to him that I also have an interest in drones, he doesn't like them one bit. Nor does anyone else at the local that runway I've came across.. Good to know there's an experienced pilot out there who doesn't despise these marvels of technology. Thumbswayup

I think you will find there are a number of current or retired ATPs among our group here. It is not drones per se, that pilots hate, it is the farging iceholes that fly around without due care and attention to safety, especially those flying near airports.

Last edited:
Reactions: brick
I don't think there's any way to say it without sounding rude but man that was one of the dumbest and most avoidable things I've seen in a while.

I'm also astonished that the Mavic wasn't a total loss. You got lucky in my opinion. Better to be lucky than good they say.

Reactions: brick and dwolfe002
Just send it to Thunderdrones and be happy it was not a total write-off. Though, after looking at the video, I can't imagine why you would leave it in a public drive/parking lot while sitting in your car after landing it. I am assuming you did not even go over to turn it off.

I feel your loss but you really should have gone to it, the moment it landed and picked it up and taken it back to your car. Maybe you can fond some used parts for the repair, to minimize your costs. Sad to see it get runover, but it is small and blends in a bit with the ground, so I doubt the driver even saw it.

In the past I have put my Nikon DSLR on the roof of my car while I opened the door and put other things in my arms, inside and then got in. I started up buckled up then drove off, only to hear a scraping noise on the roof then look in the mirror to see it tumbling down the road. Expecting nothing more than an expensive rattle when I ran back to it, all that was damaged was the metal pentaprism and the focus screen inside. I replaced the screen and lived with the little dent and was amazed it only had that damage.

A year later I did the same thing with my Hasselblad. Thankfully it was in its leather case, and inside a cardboard box, so no damage at all. Twice was more than enough, I never place anything on a car anymore. Good luck with your repairs and be comforted in knowing you are not the only dumb one.

I agree, let Rob (Thunderdrones) fix it for you. He's good folks...

Good on you for taking responsibility and not blaming the driver.

It’s a tough pill to swallow.

Mavic is almost the same color as the pavement.

I have a similarly tragic story. Just the other day at the fire station, my iPhone battery was critically low and I didn’t have a charger. So I removed a heavy piece of equipment that charges wirelessly and put my $1,400 phone in its place.

5 minutes later, Some guy who wasn’t even working stops by the station, sees the equipment sitting on the floor, and puts it back on the truck, just to help me out. Crushing my phone in the process.

Wasn’t his fault, but seems like the planets had to align just right for this to happen.

So I was out flying around with my 4 day old Mavic 2 Pro and I landed in the parking lot of my work, exactly 25 seconds later as I was reviewing the flight video on my phone a Lexus pulls in and runs over my M2P. Seemingly on purpose by the video... I don't think it was on purpose though, anyhow it's 100% pilot error and not the Lexus driver. Video will come next..

Besides that, I want to get to my point.
BUY DJI CARE REFRESH
Check out this incredibly expensive repair bill. And no, they don't offer Student Discounts on service o_O

Rear Arm Module (Right)
Quantity: 1
Net Price : 21.00
Total Price: 21.00
Lower Cover Module
Downward Infrared Sensing System
Camera Module (Pro)
Net Price : 377.00
Total Price: 377.00
Front Arm Module (Right)
Net Price : 24.00
Total Price: 24.00
Repair Service Fee
Quantity: 2
Net Price : 65.00
Total Price: 130.00

Tax (Texas sales tax)
Shipping Cost
Total Amount
Discount
0.00 :oops::mad:
Total Payment (USD$)
641.52 :eek:

Has anyone else had to repair their drone without DJI Care Refresh?
Or am I the only person stupid enough to fly without?

Specifically how much was your M2P Camera Module?
I feel that I'm being ripped off here. I haven't paid yet because it seems excessive.
Please post your thoughts on my repair bill.

View attachment 65209View attachment 65210
if you feel you're getting "ripped off", then don't send it in for repair, or send it for a non-authorized repair. You gets what you pays for. And, maybe watch where you land your note REALLY expensive drone!

Reactions: dwolfe002
Thankfully there was no damage at all to the Lexus!!
I would certainly be liable, as it's 100% aircraft operator error. No question there.

It's an expensive lesson to learn, but thankfully not near as expensive as it could have been!!
I felt I could operate the Mavic with precision, as I have 30+ hours in a Cessna 172, and had the DJI Tello's operation down very smoothly before getting the big boy.
Smooth operation can't fix stupid though!! :D

I'm sorry to hear I'm not the only person making mistakes! Youe close-encounter with the Hasselblad makes my skin pale!! :eek:

I am never going to land again unless I'm standing right near the Mavic. And will invest in some traffic cones and a landing pad! Great tips.

-CJ
I would disagree that you would be liable for damages to the Lexus. Technically, you were not operating the drone at the time. It was parked. It is the driver's responsibility to see where they are going. Now I don't think that would make the driver liable for your damages, but certainly he is responsible for his own.

I disagree with the idea of it being the driver’s fault, the whole point of the mavic is it’s got a tiny footprint. In this case it’s a tiny grey object on a big grey surface, it’s sat on its belly so there was very little shadow cast. In my opinion it was bound to happen, unattended and in a car park in broad day light. Plus who in their right mind is going to be on high alert for drones sat in a car park?!

Massive shame obviously that it’s happened OP, but it’s one of those things, it’s like trying to blame someone for running over a crisp packet, although you’d probably have more of a chance of seeing a crisp packet. The driver wasn’t driving recklessly, wasn’t speeding and simply didn’t see a tiny grey object that blended into its environment, incomparable to a small child, and I think 90% of us that are drone aware would still be in the same boat if we were driving, and we’d all be asking the same question and not just getting our wallet out.

So I was out flying around with my 4 day old Mavic 2 Pro and I landed in the parking lot of my work, exactly 25 seconds later as I was reviewing the flight video on my phone a Lexus pulls in and runs over my M2P. Seemingly on purpose by the video... I don't think it was on purpose though, anyhow it's 100% pilot error and not the Lexus driver. Video will come next..

Besides that, I want to get to my point.
BUY DJI CARE REFRESH
Check out this incredibly expensive repair bill. And no, they don't offer Student Discounts on service o_O

Rear Arm Module (Right)
Lower Cover Module
Downward Infrared Sensing System
Camera Module (Pro)
Net Price : 377.00
Total Price: 377.00
Front Arm Module (Right)
Net Price : 24.00
Total Price: 24.00
Repair Service Fee
Quantity: 2
Net Price : 65.00
Total Price: 130.00

Tax (Texas sales tax)
Shipping Cost
Total Amount
Discount
0.00 :oops::mad:
Total Payment (USD$)
641.52 :eek:

Has anyone else had to repair their drone without DJI Care Refresh?
Or am I the only person stupid enough to fly without?

Specifically how much was your M2P Camera Module?
I feel that I'm being ripped off here. I haven't paid yet because it seems excessive.
Please post your thoughts on my repair bill.

View attachment 65209View attachment 65210
Call Thunderdrones

Really!! Sitting in your car, down an alley , no spotter and you land in a parking lot with parked cars!!!! You got exactly what you deserved in my opinion lmao!!! Ask DJI care if they can fix stupid at the same time!!! Why would you even post something like that and draw attention to yourself!!! Lmao!!

Reactions: dwolfe002
I can do a similar repair for around $450 $500

What probably happened is your camera barrel got damaged, and they cant repair it, they have to replace it. Your motor assembly is fine. LF arm needs replacing, actually it looks like just the leg.

Let me tell you this, if this is what a Mavic looks like after getting run over by a car, DJI knows how to design a drone!

Is that your "FLAT" rate for repair?

Ok bad joke

I'm sorry, but I'm struggling to feel any sympathy. You flew and landed a very expensive drone in a parking lot, while you sat in a car. I don't care what the outside temperature was, you were negligent and now you're paying for it.
It would appear that you have learned from your mistake, which is good, but man, you should have been a lot more careful.

to the OP's original question...377 for the Hassleblad is not a bad price...they usually go for several hundred more

Got a M2P back from DJI, with a different S/N on Wednesday!
Seems they don't repair these little aircraft, they send them back to the factory to be picked of parts and "refurbished".

Back up in the air ;)Thumbswayup

Seems they don't repair these little aircraft, they send them back to the factory to be picked of parts and "refurbished".
Yep, that's the usual. A lot of companies do this to speed up the turnaround time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dseyna