DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

$49 Huawei Ascend XT2 aka Wunderphone = THE best Mavic screen EVER

I was using my IPhone 6 as the controller, but recently grabbed a Wunderphone to use as a dedicated controller. It has worked flawlessly so far, in several flight modes. I prefer it to the iPhone for the larger, bright screen. I’’m using the latest version of the app, with no SIM in the phone.

Reactions: coop64
Yes I did. I went through it step by step over and over again. I made no progress with it until I made the changes in the Data Saving mode. I have spent a couple more hours now trying to see if I get a connection failure and so far I have connected from every scenario I can imagine I would start a flight without failure. Very happy with that. I am ignoring the FW upgrades for the RC and Ac for now.

On the XT2 - does anyone else have the problem, when running 4.1.14 or 4.1.15 [both modded], where the icon of the satellite along the top bar of the app, blocks the numbers that indicate the number of satellites? I didn't think to capture a screen shot. If I had to guess, I'd say that it has to do with the 720p screen resolution of the XT2. I've rolled back to a modded version of 4.1.13, and ran that for a while, but it crashed too often. .14 and .15 don't seem to crash - but I would love to fix this problem.

OR ~ does the number of satellites appear anywhere else in the app? I wouldn't care if I had to pull up another screen to see the sat count.

Anyone....?

Qoncussion - Its a screen formatting problem, as you said. There was work being done to correct some of this, but don't know where that is at the moment.

If you are using an iOS device, you are missing out on one of the best parts of what has been happening behind the scenes, and that is patching the GO app to be free from DJI. IMHO.
start [dji.retroroms.info]

Qoncussion - Its a screen formatting problem, as you said. There was work being done to correct some of this, but don't know where that is at the moment.

If you are using an iOS device, you are missing out on one of the best parts of what has been happening behind the scenes, and that is patching the GO app to be free from DJI. IMHO.
start [dji.retroroms.info]
Hey Quad808 ~ unfortunately I'm an Android guy. I had some communications with one of the guys (may have been one of the OGs) about a month ago about this ~then just never heard anything else about it. Can you tell me - is .15 currently the highest version that can be modded? I slack !apk every now and again, but don't think I've seen a higher version.

Yeah sorry I realized after I posted that you are just asking about modded versions.

Yep ~that's what I'd like to see. But a couple of versions, starting with 4.1.14 have a screen resolution issue, where the icon is too large - whereby covering the actual numbers.

Reactions: Qoncussion
On the XT2 - does anyone else have the problem, when running 4.1.14 or 4.1.15 [both modded], where the icon of the satellite along the top bar of the app, blocks the numbers that indicate the number of satellites? I didn't think to capture a screen shot. If I had to guess, I'd say that it has to do with the 720p screen resolution of the XT2. I've rolled back to a modded version of 4.1.13, and ran that for a while, but it crashed too often. .14 and .15 don't seem to crash - but I would love to fix this problem.

OR ~ does the number of satellites appear anywhere else in the app? I wouldn't care if I had to pull up another screen to see the sat count.

Anyone....?
I have the XT2 but decided to try another Huawei phone with higher resolution. I found the unlocked Honor 6X which has 1080 p resolution, faster processor and more memory for $149. It is as bright as the XT2 and runs fine with modded 4.1.14 or .15. I have never had a disconnect with this phone. Very happy with it.

I have the XT2 but decided to try another Huawei phone with higher resolution. I found the unlocked Honor 6X which has 1080 p resolution, faster processor and more memory for $149. It is as bright as the XT2 and runs fine with modded 4.1.14 or .15. I have never had a disconnect with this phone. Very happy with it.
Good to know ~I'll add that to my ever growing wish list.

Hey Quad808 ~ unfortunately I'm an Android guy. I had some communications with one of the guys (may have been one of the OGs) about a month ago about this ~then just never heard anything else about it. Can you tell me - is .15 currently the highest version that can be modded? I slack !apk every now and again, but don't think I've seen a higher version.
No, you mean FORTUNATELY you are an Android guy...Thumbswayup For modding and patching, Android is the more flexible platform.
You are correct in that 4.1.15 is the latest nosecneo version, but someone is working on removing it from the latest GO. Making progress, but it's no easy task from what I read.
I had asked dwallersv to take a look at 4.1.14/.15 to see if he could change some of the formatting a bit, to better fit our screens. He has been quite busy, so I will wait a bit before I hit him up again about it. When people give their time for free to help all of us, you can't be too pushy.

Can't get the XT2 in stores over here in Norway, so picked up the Huawei Y6 (2017) on sale at a great price (approx. $93 before tax)
Fairly similar specs to the XT2, but with 5'' vs 5.5'' screen. I will use it as my daily phone, so prefer the slightly smaller size.
Works grand, no video breakups or any kinds of issues even with the newest 4.2.6 version of the Go4 app

I also have the Wundertablet, aka. Huawei T3 7''
Thread on it: 7" Huawei Mediapad T3 - aka Wundertablet
It is fantastic for the price ($55 before tax) but that one is limited to the 4.1.9 version of Go4 (video feed breaks up with the later version of the app). Works awesome with 4.1.9.

So I picked up the XT2 after discovering this thread and loved the fact I was able to buy a phenomenal phone for $50 and have it available as a dedicated screen while flying my Mavic Pro.
However, after reading this thread I made sure to use the right version of the DJI app as people were saying it didn't work with the newest version/resulted in crashes/issues when flying.

Has anybody tested the XT2 with the latest DJI app version to see if it is safe to update now?
The reason I ask is because I recently also got a 7 Plus as my main phone and I kind of prefer it if I can use the latest version of the app on it. At least I have the XT2 if I want to keep my main phone free, save battery, etc. but for newest features and stability like Pano Made I would have to use my 7 Plus.

I picked up the Huawei Elate today. I've download Go 4 from the Play Store. I'm at work now so I haven't had a chance to set the phone up per the guide found early on in the thread. Hope to fly tomorrow .

I updated to the new firmware with the new dji go 4 app last week and it crashed on me a few times while flying. I went back to 4.1.15 with new firmware and everything works fine with the xt2.

So far so good using this phone with DJI Go 4 and 4.1.15. I also have Litchi. Has anyone done extensive testing to see if Litchi plays nice with this phone?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54