Advice on a second hand purchase I made

rabidhyena

Reactions
Hi
I got a reasonable deal on a mavic with 3 batteries and case etc £450
ebay.
was told it hadn't crashed....in good condition etc
few concerns and just wondered what peoples thoughts were
1-the camera had this odd piece on the side....has it been broken or replaced? (actually seeing the close ups here, its obviously been damaged). is it too damaged?
20200121_172924.jpg
20200121_172920.jpg
2-missing 'foot', although im sure that is easily replaced
20200121_172951.jpg
3- keep getting vision sensor calibration issues....is this a biggy?

4-what do you think of the IQ?
DJI_0051.JPG
Grateful for your opinion, as Im 50:50 sending it back

Thanks

Gimbal damage looks very weird. Not sure how this could happened - it looks like it was somehow compressed or was exposed to an extreme heat.
It's not a structural part - just a plastic cover, though

I would pass on this particular mavic, mostly because of the vision system giving errors. This is never a good sign and if it gets any worse it might be a bit pricey to repair...:(

Hi
ebay.
1-the camera had this odd piece on the side....has it been broken or replaced? (actually seeing the close ups here, its obviously been damaged). is it too damaged?
View attachment 91556
View attachment 91557
View attachment 91558

View attachment 91559

Thanks
Just guessing, but if the previous owner tried to remove the lens barrel, I think the gimbal damage is due to the previous owner not knowing how to remove the cable cover. After the screws are removed, the cable cover slides backwards, then up. If you force it up, then that's what the damage would probably look like.

Cheers, so this would imply previous issues, either crash related or tech related.
I think it has to go back. its such a faff!

Reactions: Thomas B
Sometimes the cliche "it's too good too be true" applies. Also my idea of "good condition", after looking at the pictures, is different from the seller's. Personally based just on your photos and description I would return it.

Yes, I know. Although it was a plain auction one, so I thought I had got lucky.
Whenever I open a box and get a case of that dreaded ebay aroma (Cigarettes, cheap airfreshener + an animal) then I know I'm likely in for a rough time.....
I wish I could buy a mavic 1 new at a reasonable price. Maybe Ill wait for the 2s to come down.

Yes, I know. Although it was a plain auction one, so I thought I had got lucky.
Whenever I open a box and get a case of that dreaded ebay aroma (Cigarettes, cheap airfreshener + an animal) then I know I'm likely in for a rough time.....
I wish I could buy a mavic 1 new at a reasonable price. Maybe Ill wait for the 2s to come down.

As the others have said, definitely needs returning to the seller.

Have you though of buying a refurbished Mavic? There’s some here at reasonable prices Refurbished Drones | Drones Direct

Thanks. I have always taken the term 'refurbished' as meaning a spit on a cloth and wipe down!
but ill take a look now.
I hate the aggro you get when you try and return something. Real pain

Thanks. I have always taken the term 'refurbished' as meaning a spit on a cloth and wipe down!
but ill take a look now.
I hate the aggro you get when you try and return something. Real pain
Yeah, especially on eBay. Luckily eBay and Paypal generally side with the buyer.
I had the opposite problem with my firs Mavic when I sold it on eBay. It was pristine (I'm very fussy), but two days after it arrived the buyer claimed it was broken - they'd obviously crashed it. What they didn't know, was that I'd filmed the drone as I packed it showing it's perfect condition, with a copy of the days Guardian, and the flight log showing it hadn't been flown for weeks prior - so they didn't have a leg to stand on.

Drones direct are pretty good, so i think you can trust them. It's probably stock that has been opened once and returned. They get 4 stars on Trust Pilot.

That is not crash damage, don't worry about it.. Replace the foot and the cover, they're like $10 with shipping.. The gimbal damage could have easily been from using a sewn carry bag for the drone, snag that part on a loose thread and that is a likely outcome if holding the gimbal and trying to pull it loose.. Everything is just speculation, but that is nothing but cosmetic damage.

Hi
ebay.
View attachment 91556
View attachment 91557
View attachment 91558

View attachment 91559

Thanks
fix it if it flies fine , cheaper than buying new .

That is not crash damage, don't worry about it.. Replace the foot and the cover, they're like $10 with shipping.. The gimbal damage could have easily been from using a sewn carry bag for the drone, snag that part on a loose thread and that is a likely outcome if holding the gimbal and trying to pull it loose.. Everything is just speculation, but that is nothing but cosmetic damage.
Not sure I'd call the constant sensor calibration issue 'cosmetic'.

Not sure I'd call the constant sensor calibration issue 'cosmetic'.

Well, no, but testning and calibrating with Assistant is probably a good idea. Calibration using the app is useless. The issues that can arise with the sensors is more often than not just dirty lenses, and this will become apparent with a quick test. If it fails by all means return it, but I doubt they are actually broken.

It is crash damage, from the photo the camera has been driven back into the base plate fracturing the cover, in picture 2 you can see the notches on the base plate where the edges of the cover impacted.

Reactions: Lastrexking
It is crash damage, from the photo the camera has been driven back into the base plate fracturing the cover, in picture 2 you can see the notches on the base plate where the edges of the cover impacted.

Pretty strange that the cover bent the opposite way? Or do you think it way manually bent back?

Pretty strange that the cover bent the opposite way? Or do you think it way manually bent back?

Have you looked at you own MP, the gimbal cover does not look like picture no.2 , it looks like the picture below where the tabs on either side are flush and in alignment and the cover is not fractured.

The OP's camera has been pushed back so far it has impacted with the back plate of the camera compartment, which is what fractured and deformed the cover.

mavic pro gimbal cover - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
Have you looked at you own MP, the gimbal cover does not look like picture no.2 , it looks like the picture below where the tabs on either side are flush and in alignment and the cover is not fractured.

The OP's camera has been pushed back so far it has impacted with the back plate of the camera compartment, which is what fractured and deformed the cover.

View attachment 91727

Of course, but I still dont buy it unless someone can show me pictures of the same damage that has been verified caused by a crash. Unless the frame was replaced I find it highly unlikely that this would be the only damage fron a crash.

The decal could be hiding something. The gimbal is damaged (crash or not). The foot is missing which could indicate a bad landing, they are not that easy to takeoff. The sensors might just need calibrating.
I wouldnt want it.

Reactions: Lastrexking
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan