DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CrystalSky 5.5 or iPad Mini 4?

Ace79

Reactions
I really need a dedicated monitor because my S7 Edge just sucks anymore. Reluctantly, I think I am going to spend more for a tablet than I want to because I need to be able to count on it. I'm truly stuck between the CS 5.5 and an iPad mini 4.

There are pros and cons to each so I am looking for other opinions.

iPad Mini4 seems to have a great track record but if I were to get the wifi one I would not have access to gps. Also the image is not as bright. Unless I got it refurbished it would be around price of CS 5.5 (or more if I got GPS version)

CS 5.5 doesn't come with a charger or mount so I would need to purchase them separately. Also, it is not compatible with the Mavic 2 Pro yet (which is one of the biggest product launch blunders I have ever seen). However I also have the Mavic Air and can use it for that.

Any thoughts or input would be great! Let me know if you had problems with either one or if they worked flawlessly!

Thanks!

I have the CS 5.5 and love it. I agree with you about the Mavic 2 compatibility, I've had to revert back to my iPad Air 2 for the M2P for now. I also don't like that it isn't compatible with the DJI CS Mavic Mount. I swapped the grips out from my Spark to my Mavic Air to get that to work, I may have to do it again on the M2P.

Reactions: Stan1915
I have the CS 5.5 and love it. I agree with you about the Mavic 2 compatibility, I've had to revert back to my iPad Air 2 for the M2P for now. I also don't like that it isn't compatible with the DJI CS Mavic Mount. I swapped the grips out from my Spark to my Mavic Air to get that to work, I may have to do it again on the M2P.

Thank you. How long have you had your CS?

I started out with an iPad Air 2 and just wasn't happy with the brightness. I was hesitant about the size of the screen of the CS 5.5 but after I bought it and started using it I was very pleased. The brightness was great on sunny days and the size was perfect for my Mavic Pro.

Reactions: Ace79
Reactions: Ace79
My thoughts exactly! They were quick to find another way to get the most money out of us that had CS and not make the mount compatible. I just hope that they get the update for CS out soon so that it works with the M2P. If you look at the accessories for M2P they have a tablet holder for $29 but nothing like the mount we have now.

Last edited:
I was looking at a 3rd party mount that just slips between the grips so I can use it with both my Air and (eventually) my Mavic 2.

I want to lean towards the CS but not being compatible softwarewise with the Mavic 2 is a killer.

I chatted with DJI support today and they told me eventually it will be compatible but they did not tell me when.

I will use my MavMount with the CS adapter to solve my problem. I use it with my MP if I don't have to travel light.

I really need a dedicated monitor because my S7 Edge just sucks anymore. Reluctantly, I think I am going to spend more for a tablet than I want to because I need to be able to count on it. I'm truly stuck between the CS 5.5 and an iPad mini 4.

There are pros and cons to each so I am looking for other opinions.

iPad Mini4 seems to have a great track record but if I were to get the wifi one I would not have access to gps. Also the image is not as bright. Unless I got it refurbished it would be around price of CS 5.5 (or more if I got GPS version)

CS 5.5 doesn't come with a charger or mount so I would need to purchase them separately. Also, it is not compatible with the Mavic 2 Pro yet (which is one of the biggest product launch blunders I have ever seen). However I also have the Mavic Air and can use it for that.

Any thoughts or input would be great! Let me know if you had problems with either one or if they worked flawlessly!

Thanks!

I use a wifi on iPad Mini 4. Its very easy to use your phone as a hot spot. A friend of mine has the CS 5.5, nice bright screen. However I you can't run Litchi on it and thats a deal breaker for me. The iPad Mini does the job, I wish is was brighter but......

I use a wifi on iPad Mini 4. Its very easy to use your phone as a hot spot. A friend of mine has the CS 5.5, nice bright screen. However I you can't run Litchi on it and thats a deal breaker for me. The iPad Mini does the job, I wish is was brighter but......

Thanks! So by connecting it your phone by hotspot you are able to have GPS? I never have used Litchi but I know a lot of people like it.

Thanks! So by connecting it your phone by hotspot you are able to have GPS? I never have used Litchi but I know a lot of people like it.

Correct, its very easy. If your using an iPhone.... Go to settings on your phone and turn on wifi and Personal Hotspot. On the iPad go to settings and turn on wifi and connect to the phone. Takes about 15 seconds and your done. I prefer Litchi over DJI4 for the sole reason I can preprogram flights.

I just want something dependable
Correct, its very easy. If your using an iPhone.... Go to settings on your phone and turn on wifi and Personal Hotspot. On the iPad go to settings and turn on wifi and connect to the phone. Takes about 15 seconds and your done. I prefer Litchi over DJI4 for the sole reason I can preprogram flights.

Thanks. I just did a quick Google search and see that Litchi is now available on the CrystalSky.
DJI CrystalSky - Litchi

Have you ever had any kind of app crashes using the iPad Mini 4?

I am still so torn, I just want something dependable. The iPad sounds like it could be cheaper but the brighter screen would be nicer on the CS.

The CrystalSky not working for the Mavic 2 is a big killer too...and who knows when DJI will get around to updating the firmware for it.

I just want something dependable

Thanks. I just did a quick Google search and see that Litchi is now available on the CrystalSky.
DJI CrystalSky - Litchi

Have you ever had any kind of app crashes using the iPad Mini 4?

I am still so torn, I just want something dependable. The iPad sounds like it could be cheaper but the brighter screen would be nicer on the CS.

The CrystalSky not working for the Mavic 2 is a big killer too...and who knows when DJI will get around to updating the firmware for it.

Good to know thanks. Once in a blue moon the DJI will crash, never had a problem with Litch. Almost $500 for a 5.5 monitor is pretty step. Maybe if I did a lot more flying I would buy one

Well, I ended up getting a refurbished iPad Mini 4 16GB (wifi). It was $280 vs. about $530ish for CS 5.5 and needed accessories (mount, charger).

I really wanted the CS, but the fact that it doesn't work with the Mavic 2 yet and we really don't know when it will was a deal breaker for me. Plus my wife may kill me in my sleep if I keep spending money. Maybe some day I will get a CS when my drone business actually starts to make money.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Reactions: FASTFJR
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada