DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic Mini lost connection - Failsafe RTH not working - crashed into the water.

The first thing you had to do was to clean it with plenty fresh water o submerge it in the bath tub and keep it there for 60 seconds to dissolve the salt. Too late for that now, it will be replaced via care refresh.

Stay tuned as the experts will take a look.

I was on the beach and i had a can of Pepsi so no chance. I got i out of the water in about 30 seconds i never thought adding more water will be an answer for the problem.

We will need the .DAT file for this ... please follow the instruction given here to retrieve it --> Post #4 then attach it here.

From the .TXT so far ...

You had quite alot of "notEnoughForce" notifications during larger parts of the flight ... according to Airdata.com the wind indication were as highest around 9-10m/s, but then with the Spark profile. It's been found that those can be like 30% to high ... so say winds of approx 7m/s in parts of the flight.

These were the messages:

0.0 0.0 IN FLIGHT0
0.0 0.2 4.1 0HOMEPOINT UPDATED. RTH ALTITUDE ADJUSTED TO 20 M!
7.1 62.9 :QUICKSHOT COMPLETE. AIRCRAFT RETURNING TO TASK START POINT!^
65.9 117.0 %CONTROL STICK MOVED. EXITED QUICKSHOT!{
120.0 355.5 AIRCRAFT MAX POWER LOAD REACHED. DECREASE ALTITUDE AND FLY WITH CAUTION. IF THIS ISSUE PERSISTS, LAND IMMEDIATELY (CODE: 30168)
355.5 (MAX POWER LOAD REACHED. FLY WITH CAUTION
357.6 357.6 IN FLIGHT0
493.5 AIRCRAFT MAX POWER LOAD REACHED. DECREASE ALTITUDE AND FLY WITH CAUTION. IF THIS ISSUE PERSISTS, LAND IMMEDIATELY (CODE: 30168)
493.5 (MAX POWER LOAD REACHED. FLY WITH CAUTION
499.6 499.6 IN FLIGHT0
678.9 AIRCRAFT MAX POWER LOAD REACHED. DECREASE ALTITUDE AND FLY WITH CAUTION. IF THIS ISSUE PERSISTS, LAND IMMEDIATELY (CODE: 30168)
678.9 (MAX POWER LOAD REACHED. FLY WITH CAUTION
718.1 718.1 IN FLIGHT0
732.3 .SD CARD MALFUNCTION. CHANGE CARD (CODE: 10023)
732.3 SD CARD MALFUNCTION

In below chart you have just left one of several periods of "notEnoughForce" (pink) ... lately we have seen that flights with a lot of this, kinds of "tiring" the engines making the flight system trying other strategies to increase the tilt inclination as probably one of the engines in the back is maxed out ... like take down the rpm for the front props, which leads to low vertical thrust & the AC goes down.

But we will see how the engine rpm's looked like once we have the .DAT.

Water crash.jpg

Last edited:
We will need the .DAT file for this ... please follow the instruction given here to retrieve it --> Post #4 then attach it here.

From the .TXT so far ...

You had quite alot of "notEnoughForce" notifications during larger parts of the flight ... according to Airdata.com the wind indication were as highest around 9-10m/s, but then with the Spark profile. It's been found that those can be like 30% to high ... so say winds of approx 7m/s in parts of the flight.

These were the messages:

0.0 0.0 IN FLIGHT0
0.0 0.2 4.1 0HOMEPOINT UPDATED. RTH ALTITUDE ADJUSTED TO 20 M!
7.1 62.9 :QUICKSHOT COMPLETE. AIRCRAFT RETURNING TO TASK START POINT!^
65.9 117.0 %CONTROL STICK MOVED. EXITED QUICKSHOT!{
120.0 355.5 AIRCRAFT MAX POWER LOAD REACHED. DECREASE ALTITUDE AND FLY WITH CAUTION. IF THIS ISSUE PERSISTS, LAND IMMEDIATELY (CODE: 30168)
355.5 (MAX POWER LOAD REACHED. FLY WITH CAUTION
357.6 357.6 IN FLIGHT0
493.5 AIRCRAFT MAX POWER LOAD REACHED. DECREASE ALTITUDE AND FLY WITH CAUTION. IF THIS ISSUE PERSISTS, LAND IMMEDIATELY (CODE: 30168)
493.5 (MAX POWER LOAD REACHED. FLY WITH CAUTION
499.6 499.6 IN FLIGHT0
678.9 AIRCRAFT MAX POWER LOAD REACHED. DECREASE ALTITUDE AND FLY WITH CAUTION. IF THIS ISSUE PERSISTS, LAND IMMEDIATELY (CODE: 30168)
678.9 (MAX POWER LOAD REACHED. FLY WITH CAUTION
718.1 718.1 IN FLIGHT0
732.3 .SD CARD MALFUNCTION. CHANGE CARD (CODE: 10023)
732.3 SD CARD MALFUNCTION

In below chart you have just left one of several periods of "notEnoughForce" (pink) ... lately we have seen that flights with a lot of this, kinds of "tiring" the engines making the flight system trying other strategies to increase the tilt inclination as probably one of the engines in the back is maxed out ... like take down the rpm for the front props, which leads to low vertical thrust & the AC goes down.

But we will see how the engine rpm's looked like once we have the .DAT.

View attachment 92300

Thank you for the info. I cannot find the file .DAT, i scrolled about like three times there. Only .txt files. You can see in the screenshot of the smartphone. Can it be located somewhere else ?

The error AIRCRAFT MAX POWER LOAD REACHED was always on the screen since day 1. Even a friend who owns a Mavic Air was concerned about this error. I never flew more than 20 meters up in the sky and with a good to fly weather from the UAV forecast app.

Even in the office when i received it had that error after 2 runs. My friend blamed the ESC for this kind of issue.

Even so, for the Failsafe RTH the drone had the homepoint, the sd card malfunction was on and after 5 seconds it got disconnected and got into the water. I saw alot of youtube Mavic Mini almost crashes, and most of the drones were hovering still waiting for a connection, i saw 2 MM hitting rocks and never dropped. Mine dropped without a logical reason.

Attachments

• Photo Jan 27, 21 35 32.png
    Photo Jan 27, 21 35 32.png
    648.9 KB · Views: 19
The .DAT files are under both iOS and Android in a subfolder, MCDatFlightRecords, in the folder that contains the TXT logs. Unfortunately I can from your pic. see that it's empty ...
In some cases, for reasons not fully explained but possibly mobile-device hardware related, and most often under Android, DAT files are not created and that folder is empty. Uninstalling and reinstalling the app sometimes fixes that. One user also found that the process required manual deletion of the app folder (apparently not deleted automatically in the uninstall process) before reinstalling the app.

The log shows that you got a degradation in the down link connection ... but that was 2 sec before the log ended, most probably this happened when the Bird went under the water.
No Failsafe action was triggered during that short time span ...

*EDIT*

Just saw your comment about the UAV app ... well you know, it's first only an forecast not a live measuring in the spot you're flying, secondly ... you yourself configure all the parameters in there, did you do that according to MM spec?

Last edited:
The .DAT files are under both iOS and Android in a subfolder, MCDatFlightRecords, in the folder that contains the TXT logs. Unfortunately I can from your pic. see that it's empty ...
In some cases, for reasons not fully explained but possibly mobile-device hardware related, and most often under Android, DAT files are not created and that folder is empty. Uninstalling and reinstalling the app sometimes fixes that. One user also found that the process required manual deletion of the app folder (apparently not deleted automatically in the uninstall process) before reinstalling the app.

The log shows that you got a degradation in the down link connection ... but that was 2 sec before the log ended, most probably this happened when the Bird went under the water.
No Failsafe action was triggered during that short time span ...

I see. This was the error i got on the remote, and as i took my eyes off from the display it already got in the water.

Attachments

• Photo Jan 25, 4 58 51 PM.jpg
    Photo Jan 25, 4 58 51 PM.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 40
There are a few rather interesting observations to be made in these data. Firstly - the vertical movement. As reported, the aircraft went into uncommanded descent at 726 seconds:

Climb.png

Looking at the horizontal movement, the aircraft was moving forwards in tripod mode before the descent, but the motion was stopped by a sudden uncommanded positive pitch excursion at 726 seconds, before the elevator was centered at 427 seconds:

Vel_forwards.png

That pitch excursion, followed by pitch instability, appears to have triggered the descent. There's no motor speed data to look at without the DAT file, but examining the current we can see that the current actually increased as the aircraft descended, suggesting that the motors had not slowed down to cause the descent:

current.png

There is both pitch and roll instability evident. It almost looks like a Mini in VRS. I really wish we had motor speed data.

Attitude.png

Reactions: netsonic and slup
I can't find any uncommanded descent events for which a DAT file was available. @BudWalker?
@sar104 ... look at this event, with prop guards out in windy conditions though, but it also went down in a similar pattern. that one have the DAT file & it shows sudden decrease of rpm's for the fronts & at the same time especially the left back seems to be maxed during most part of the flight. Hard to draw any firm conclusions regarding stability due guards though ...

Max power issue with propellar guard; going down unexpected

I wonder if this is some kind of new strategy from DJI coming in from the latest firmware to take down the Mini instead of having it blowing away ?

Last edited:
I can't find any uncommanded descent events for which a DAT file was available. @BudWalker?
Took a quick look at my .DAT stash and didn't find anything. With the exception of my own .DATs I don't have any .DATs other than what has been posted in this forum. And, my Mini hasn't exhibited this behavior - at least not yet.

Took a quick look at my .DAT stash and didn't find anything. With the exception of my own .DATs I don't have any .DATs other than what has been posted in this forum. And, my Mini hasn't exhibited this behavior - at least not yet.

Right - I just wondered if I had missed a posted DAT file for such an event. I'm tempted to get a Mini just to investigate these behaviors further.

Right - I just wondered if I had missed a posted DAT file for such an event. I'm tempted to get a Mini just to investigate these behaviors further.
One of the main reasons I got mine was to investigate the max power being reached issue. As yet, haven't been able to reproduce the problem. A few times the Fly App has given the "High Wind, Reduce Altitude and RTH" message. But, haven't seen any of the motors reaching 100% commanded.

I've been pleasantly surprised how much fun the Mini is to fly. My MPP and M2P fly faster and I'm not worried about the wind and getting home. Can't quite figure out why but the Mini is more fun to fly - maybe because it's new.

Reactions: sar104
@BudWalker @sar104 ... perhaps you missed my link to an event with a similar uncommanded descent that could provide the DAT --> Post #32
Mini flew with prop guards which complicated things though ... or perhaps you already seen it & ruled it out?

@BudWalker @sar104 ... perhaps you missed my link to an event with a similar uncommanded descent that could provide the DAT --> Post #32
Mini flew with prop guards which complicated things though ... or perhaps you already seen it & ruled it out?

No - thanks for the link and I'm looking at that one, although the presence of prop guards rather complicates comparisons.

Reactions: slup
Did anyone notice the possible bird strike in one of the pre crash videos? The drone does a sharp left jerk the same time a pelican shadow shows up on screen. Coincidence?

Sar, you need to be a consultant for DJI support and engineers. I bet they are overlooking a whole bunch of real world issues, explaining them away as pilot errors.

Reactions: Brandaloo
Sar, you need to be a consultant for DJI support and engineers. I bet they are overlooking a whole bunch of real world issues, explaining them away as pilot errors.

Well the other factor is that I get to play with the logs of a few incidents per week. They likely have hundreds per day to deal with. Maybe more.

Reactions: Simmo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kquach229