DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic Spiraled out of Control , crashed and destroyed

It seems to me (as a very new Mavic-Pro owner) that losing rotors mid-flight is a bit of an issue with the Mavic. Please check the thread Warning : anchorage fail of propeller in one rotor where another member posted a pretty convincing video showing that a propeller could be twisted free with no effort.

I am very impressed, and have learned a lot from the current discussion about how to access & copy flight logs but I cringe when I see crash reports like this as I well remember watching my drone come down in free-fall. I was wondering if there was any stick control action that an experienced pilot could have made to stabilise the drone & bring it to a slowed / gentle / controlled landing but no-one has volunteered advice of this kind ... so I guess not!

Thankfully I did have Mavic-Care in place and I received a replacement Mavic-Pro within a week. All good from that point of view but if anyone can help control the UK weather (wind, snow, rain, more wind, more rain, more snow possible next weekend) then I might be able to get back to flying.

I wish you well & feel your loss,
Regards,
manskei
with the loss of a motor nothing short of a miracle can stabilize it,when deciding on my drone type i checked out the yuneek[i think] that had 6 props,could lose one and still fly,wish it had more intriguing features as i may have bought one.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
with the loss of a motor nothing short of a miracle can stabilize it,when deciding on my drone type i checked out the yuneek[i think] that had 6 props,could lose one and still fly,wish it had more intriguing features as i may have bought one.

It is possible to stabilise and "control" a quad after losing 1 prop (or even 2 opposing props). It required giving up yaw control.
. They cut off 2 propellers and were able to safely control the drone. The underlying control algorithms are however rather advanced/complex. but even without the camera position system they used here it is still physically possible.

losing 1 prop, detecting it, shutting down the opposing prop, switching to 2 prop mode and increase allowed energy draw/speed from remaining props, land in a controlled way.

It is possible to stabilise and "control" a quad after losing 1 prop (or even 2 opposing props). It required giving up yaw control.
. They cut off 2 propellers and were able to safely control the drone. The underlying control algorithms are however rather advanced/complex. but even without the camera position system they used here it is still physically possible.

losing 1 prop, detecting it, shutting down the opposing prop, switching to 2 prop mode and increase allowed energy draw/speed from remaining props, land in a controlled way.

It's definitely possible, both theoretically and in practice, but DJI clearly have not programmed that functionality into their firmware. I doubt that it is computationally too expensive for the FC, so it's an interesting question why not.

It's definitely possible, both theoretically and in practice, but DJI clearly have not programmed that functionality into their firmware. I doubt that it is computationally too expensive for the FC, so it's an interesting question why not.

I guess it's mostly an economical standpoint. It will probably take quite some time to develop, test and release this, only to save a couple of drones.

If it becomes a marketable safety feature I'm sure they will look into it.

It certainly looks like pilot error (not securing the props) but DJI have been quite generous in some cases of this kind, so it is definitely worth asking. I would not volunteer any information from this discussion - just describe what happened. They will ask for the log.
I lost a prop one time... my error for not making sure it was secured, but it only made it 20-30 feet before it came off... you said you made it to over 200 feet before it crashed? I don't think it was pilot error.

Beautiful day in the PNW . Decided to take out out my Mavic.

Charged my Batteries and controller100%.

Went to an open field .

Connected the controller to the DJI go app on my Samsung S8.

The app did warn me that a firmware update was required but allowed me to fly anyway.
I took off and selected the precision return to home option.. Took it straight up to around 250-300 feet in about 20-25 secs and before I realized what was going on the thing came spiraling down in 5 seconds and was completely destroyed.

As far as I can recall, when the drone connected to the app, the app reported everything as normal.
It did show a "firmware upgrade required" and " high wind warning". The wind was very light and in previous flights, I was able to fly even though there were warnings.

The video was corrupted, but was able to repair it using some mp4 software I found on the internet.

DJI Mavic pro spiral out of control, crash and destroyed - Streamable

How do I find out what happened and what are my options? I purchased this at Costco , less than an year ago.
I NEVER leave my house to fly before checking for updates. I use my WIFI to speed it up and have no surprises in the field. You have at least a $1000 investment that can also cause collateral damage with huge fines and possibly a lawsuit. Always remember that there is a log of your flight on record. Cover your butt at all times.

Did you get the DJI Care Plan or a Protection plan from Costco? I bought mine from Dell and got the 2 year protection plan which saved me a $200 repair bill. I looked at the pictures of your damage and if you have a plan they will probably just replace it with a new one... that thing is messed up. Did you try to shut it down as it was falling?

I lost a prop one time... my error for not making sure it was secured, but it only made it 20-30 feet before it came off... you said you made it to over 200 feet before it crashed? I don't think it was pilot error.

Happened to me about a 100 feet up. sometimes the prop shaft is a binding fit. it will hold on longer than you think.

It's not uncommon for the prop to hang on longer, often until motor deceleration at the top of a climb, for example.

Along with checking the Prop "nubs" that lock into the motor spool, you also have to inspect the springs that lock the prop, they have to have enough spring tension to hold the prop in place.
Or..................

Freshwater baby. I don't do that thing they call saltwater. I love gripping the rocks with my toes in the middle of a river/creek.....

Last edited:

That video is amazeballs, and it's 5 years old!

On propellers:
Honestly, I almost never check mine. I used the original props for 8 months and the new, quieter props for the last 6 months. I put them on once and have never removed them.

Every once in a while, I'll feel each prop just to make sure it feels snug, and they do, but I never take them off.

I DO check to make sure the battery is firmly seated before each flight.

I know that I should check the props each time, or I'm risking an accident.

How do most of you "check your props"? Do you take them completely off and re-seat them? Do you just look at them? Do you wiggle them? Do you remove each prop and examine it closely for cracks?

It seems like taking them off, and reinstalling them each time, you'd run a higher risk of accidentally NOT getting one seated correctly eventually (?)

Thoughts?

On propellers:
Honestly, I almost never check mine. I used the original props for 8 months and the new, quieter props for the last 6 months. I put them on once and have never removed them.

Every once in a while, I'll feel each prop just to make sure it feels snug, and they do, but I never take them off.

I DO check to make sure the battery is firmly seated before each flight.

I know that I should check the props each time, or I'm risking an accident.

How do most of you "check your props"? Do you take them completely off and re-seat them? Do you just look at them? Do you wiggle them? Do you remove each prop and examine it closely for cracks?

It seems like taking them off, and reinstalling them each time, you'd run a higher risk of accidentally NOT getting one seated correctly eventually (?)

Thoughts?
I use a Bower DSLR camera back pack with customizable compartments that can hold my DSLR and Mavic/remote/batteries with room to expand. Everytime after flying, I break the drone down, take props off, put gimbal protectors on and put back in the case. So, everytime I fly I need to put the props on. I lost a prop once. I usually put them on when I put the drone on the ground, double check my remote settings, and check the prop once more before taking off... better safe that sorry. A cheap $3 part can ruin your day and cost you much more.

Freshwater baby. I don't do that thing they call saltwater. I love gripping the rocks with my toes in the middle of a river/creek.....
Most rivers I fish are too cold to not wear waders. I live close to the Hammonasset River which needs some serious help. I am going to try and fly the river from the mouth all the way to the reservoir and put together a presentation for Trout Unlimited to see if we can get some stream enhancement help. The Hammonnasett used to have an Atlantic Salmon run over 100 years ago. We still get some sea run Browns rarely. (if you know where to look).

Reactions: Flycaster
For those who check your props consistantly, how many times, or how often have you come across a scenario where the prop was discovered to NOT be installed correctly?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis