DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic Spiraled out of Control , crashed and destroyed

Hey Sar104, I've been practicing reading logs for a little while now with DatCon and CsvView, this one was for sure obvious, but I'm wondering what are the signals you use the most for analizing? Like in this instance I was playing around and added gyro composite to the motor speed chart and it spikes right along with the Lrear motor when the prop is lost. I assume this is caused by the gyro tries desperately to stabilize as it spirals out of control. Just wondering which ones are useful and which you ignore. Thanks! -CF

The rate gyro signals (x, y, z and composite) are just measuring spin rate in °/s around those respective axes - these are not physical gyros for stabilization. The rate gyro data, together with the 3-axis accelerometer data, are used by the IMU via the derived quaternion components to calculate the instantaneous pitch, roll and yaw of the aircraft. I primarily look at the pitch, roll and yaw values rather than the rate gyros but, as you noticed, they will both show the onset and rate of spin and you can use either.

Pitch/roll/yaw clearly show the signature of propulsion loss, and should even show the difference between a lost prop and a failed ESC, since if the prop flies off then it traps its angular momentum, whereas if the ESC seizes it will transfer the angular momentum to the body of the aircraft - those two cases will result in similar immediate pitch and roll but different yaw response. The motor speed data provide more unambiguous evidence, since if the prop flies off then the motor speed rapidly increases, whereas if the ESC fails the motor will essentially stop.

Last edited:
The rate gyro signals (x, y, z and composite) are just measuring spin rate in °/s around those respective axes - these are not physical gyros for stabilization. The rate gyro data, together with the 3-axis accelerometer data, are used by the IMU to via the derived quaternion components to calculate the instantaneous pitch, roll and yaw of the aircraft. I primarily look at the pitch, roll and yaw values rather than the rate gyros but, as you noticed, they will both show the onset and rate of spin and you can use either.

Pitch/roll/yaw clearly show the signature of propulsion loss, and should even show the difference between a lost prop and a failed ESC, since if the prop flies off then it traps its angular momentum, whereas if the ESC seizes it will transfer the angular momentum to the body of the aircraft - those two cases will result in similar immediate pitch and roll but different yaw response. The motor speed data provide more unambiguous evidence, since if the prop flies off then the motor speed rapidly increases, whereas if the ESC fails the motor will essentially stop.
Thanks for that, I'm looking to improve so everything is useful. So is the gyro composite a composite of the X,Y, and Z axis gyros? I'll keep working on looking at the pitch, roll, and yaw and hopefully improve. I really love what you (and the other analizers) do and aspire to do as well some day. Thanks again! -CF

Thanks for that, I'm looking to improve so everything is useful. So is the gyro composite a composite of the X,Y, and Z axis gyros? I'll keep working on looking at the pitch, roll, and yaw and hopefully improve. I really love what you (and the other analizers) do and aspire to do as well some day. Thanks again! -CF

Yes. Gcomp = √(Gx² + Gy² + Gz²).

Beautiful day in the PNW . Decided to take out out my Mavic.

Charged my Batteries and controller100%.

Went to an open field .

Connected the controller to the DJI go app on my Samsung S8.

The app did warn me that a firmware update was required but allowed me to fly anyway.
I took off and selected the precision return to home option.. Took it straight up to around 250-300 feet in about 20-25 secs and before I realized what was going on the thing came spiraling down in 5 seconds and was completely destroyed.

As far as I can recall, when the drone connected to the app, the app reported everything as normal.
It did show a "firmware upgrade required" and " high wind warning". The wind was very light and in previous flights, I was able to fly even though there were warnings.

The video was corrupted, but was able to repair it using some mp4 software I found on the internet.

DJI Mavic pro spiral out of control, crash and destroyed - Streamable

How do I find out what happened and what are my options? I purchased this at Costco , less than an year ago.

Dang! Sorry to hear about this bud.

Do you remove the props between flight sessions? And were they DJI original Props. I have seen clone props where the prop pin has not been installed correctly.

I read so many crash on this forum due to a proppler "diseapered" during a fly... i hoppe a mavic pro 2 will come with a safer propler system!!!

CowboyTim has it right, go exchange it for a new drone from Costco, no questions asked.

5 Words: State Farm Personal Articles Policy

(If in the US, but apparently not in CA)

Such a joy to fly and travel with my Mavic now that I am not worried about a thousand dollar bill blowing away.

If you are in Texas, contact Danny Knight. Great guy and very enthusiastic. $60 annual premium for me covers two drones, all accessories and DJI Goggles.

Danny Knight
972-346-2888
[email protected]

Drone Insurance = BUST

Edit: LOL, just noticed that my link is to "Done Insurance = BUST". . .Doesn't bode well. However, I think that title refers to those outside US or in CA. The really useful thing there is the Google Doc form that geofox784 made to collate info on State Farm agents in different states that have written drone policies.

The one caveat I would personally add is that I haven't actually had to make a claim yet. By others accounts, SA has paid the claims. In some cases, the policy has been dropped after the claim was made (and paid). There is some logic behind this that has been discussed on other threads but I think that wouldn't happen if the drone is one of several valuable items on the policy (rather than the only thing of real value). So, if you get a PA policy, think about whether or not you have other valuable items (jewelry, instruments, other electronics) that you'd want to cover.

Last edited:
I paid for the $100 extended warranty (or whatever they call it) After crashing (backed into a palm tree without looking)Only damage was to the gimbal. I paid the $79 fee and took it to UPS on Monday at 2pm and had it back at noon on Wednesday. Amazing!

I paid for the $100 extended warranty (or whatever they call it) After crashing (backed into a palm tree without looking)Only damage was to the gimbal. I paid the $79 fee and took it to UPS on Monday at 2pm and had it back at noon on Wednesday. Amazing!
Sorry to see you crashed but I have to tell you that "crib" is so sweet it gave me cavities

CowboyTim has it right, go exchange it for a new drone from Costco, no questions asked.

Costco only does 90 days on electronic products due to people abusing the return policy but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Beautiful day in the PNW . Decided to take out out my Mavic.

Charged my Batteries and controller100%.

Went to an open field .

Connected the controller to the DJI go app on my Samsung S8.

The app did warn me that a firmware update was required but allowed me to fly anyway.
I took off and selected the precision return to home option.. Took it straight up to around 250-300 feet in about 20-25 secs and before I realized what was going on the thing came spiraling down in 5 seconds and was completely destroyed.

As far as I can recall, when the drone connected to the app, the app reported everything as normal.
It did show a "firmware upgrade required" and " high wind warning". The wind was very light and in previous flights, I was able to fly even though there were warnings.

The video was corrupted, but was able to repair it using some mp4 software I found on the internet.

DJI Mavic pro spiral out of control, crash and destroyed - Streamable

How do I find out what happened and what are my options? I purchased this at Costco , less than an year ago.

Sorry to hear of your accident, but welcome to the club
This is the exact this is the same thing that happened to my MP over a dam, I never saw it again.
Full battery (locked in and checked)
Controller at around 75%
All props in good condition and locked in place
Calm weather
No overhead wires or trees
No birds in the air

The Mavic spiralled, flipped over and went into the water.
Dji confirmed no issues with piloting and no reported warning from the logs until it said 'motor obstructed' on contact with the water.

Eventually it was agreed that since neither dji nor I seemed to be at fault, they would offer 50/50 cost on the replacement craft .

Hello I'm new here and new to mavic can somone please have a look at this data. All seemed fine until I RTH and it started its decent and then just fell from about 30mt. I've only had it for about a week. I double checked battery was in before flight.

Thanks Ron

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2018-03-11_[16-34-12].txt
    2 MB · Views: 9
@QLDMAVIC, it'll be easier to review your flight log if you start a new thread. There's no sense in trying to troubleshoot it in various unrelated threads.

It seems to me (as a very new Mavic-Pro owner) that losing rotors mid-flight is a bit of an issue with the Mavic. Please check the thread Warning : anchorage fail of propeller in one rotor where another member posted a pretty convincing video showing that a propeller could be twisted free with no effort.

I am very impressed, and have learned a lot from the current discussion about how to access & copy flight logs but I cringe when I see crash reports like this as I well remember watching my drone come down in free-fall. I was wondering if there was any stick control action that an experienced pilot could have made to stabilise the drone & bring it to a slowed / gentle / controlled landing but no-one has volunteered advice of this kind ... so I guess not!

Thankfully I did have Mavic-Care in place and I received a replacement Mavic-Pro within a week. All good from that point of view but if anyone can help control the UK weather (wind, snow, rain, more wind, more rain, more snow possible next weekend) then I might be able to get back to flying.

I wish you well & feel your loss,
Regards,
manskei

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki