DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic Spiraled out of Control , crashed and destroyed

I said "possible".

If you meant that it's possible for a bird to collide with a drone then I agree. But if you meant, as I interpreted your comment, that it is a possible explanation in this case, then no - that is not possible.

There were no birds in the area at that time.

Bravo97, I feel for you. Same thing happened to me on the same rear left arm, prop came off and I saw it fludder away from the crashing drone. Mine came down from 100 feet. Luckily it was repairable for a reasonable price. Both rear arms replaced and main body. I used expertdrones.com here on the east coast for my repair. They did a great job.

Also, if you choose to repair buy the OEM parts yourself and they will install. It's cheaper that way.

Sorry about the accident, and thanks for posting the incident. Important reminder to all pilots to check the secure lock of each prop., each flight! There will always be the chance of a mechanical failure of the bayonet mount system, but we all might as well do what we can to eliminate the chances an unsecured prop. at the start of the flight.

Sorry about the accident, and thanks for posting the incident. Important reminder to all pilots to check the secure lock of each prop., each flight! There will always be the chance of a mechanical failure of the bayonet mount system, but we all might as well do what we can to eliminate the chances an unsecured prop. at the start of the flight.
i swear I had checked it prior to taking off.

I also vaguely remember that in one of my previous flights, the prop was not installed correctly and the app gave me some sort of warning. there was no such warning given to me this time :(.

I like DJI Mavic pro, but I wish they improved their design to add some kind of safety mechanism where the drone would not even lift off if the prop was not installed correctly.

This incident happened in an open field where there was no one down below, but can't imagine what would have happened if it were over a parking lot with cars parked below

Reactions: b2n
hats off to the guys who can read the data and find out to the milliesecond what happend, sorry for your loss but hats off to the great guys here, i am heading out for a flight and believe me i will be checking the props every time now,

Check them, double check them and triple check them and hope for the best :)

Also, if you choose to repair buy the OEM parts yourself and they will install. It's cheaper that way.
my drone is toast. The entire camera unit ripped off. and there is significant damage on the other parts

Sorry for your damage....but a big heads up for others... I will sure stick the props with gorilla glue before flying...

my drone is toast. The entire camera unit ripped off. and there is significant damage on the other parts
Also if DJI won't warenty it, you could look into @Thunderdrones doing the repair. He is based in the US and is by all accounts a whole lot easier to deal with than DJI's Chinese reps, plus he's faster:). Sorry for your loss man:(!
-CF

Reactions: Former Member
Man... I am super sorry about the crash, it does look to me like a prop failure. I had this happen on other drones and it looks about the same.

Don't rush to judgment on that. I crashed mine and tore the camera off. It cost me less than $40 to fix it. Arms and body/shell parts aren't that expensive either. If you have the care/refresh, it should only cost you $79 to replace it. It's almost impossible to make it a total loss by crashing it.

No - the impact of a bird strike would be clearly visible in the telemetry attitude data. It simply lost a prop.
Hey Sar104, I've been practicing reading logs for a little while now with DatCon and CsvView, this one was for sure obvious, but I'm wondering what are the signals you use the most for analizing? Like in this instance I was playing around and added gyro composite to the motor speed chart and it spikes right along with the Lrear motor when the prop is lost. I assume this is caused by the gyro tries desperately to stabilize as it spirals out of control. Just wondering which ones are useful and which you ignore. Thanks! -CF

Don't rush to judgment on that. I crashed mine and tore the camera off. It cost me less than $40 to fix it. Arms and body/shell parts aren't that expensive either. If you have the care/refresh, it should only cost you $79 to replace it. It's almost impossible to make it a total loss by crashing it.
Thanks.. I am going to talk with Costco Concierge service today

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mupps64