DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI may allow large enterprise users to opt out of Geo if they are willing to pay $$$$$

VintageSlots

Reactions
Well, it looks like DJI is thinking about allowing their large enterprise users to completely opt out of Geo if they are willing to pay money.

So much for Geo being all about safety! If you are large enough and willing to pay enough they will allow you to opt out of Geo. Kind of a Pay for Play attitude.

DJI is running a survey to see how deep into the pockets they can go.

If this is a success I wonder if they will expand it to the individual Part 107 operators.

The survey is at Industrial Unlocks

There was such an outcry from people in another forum that the DJI employees refused to discuss it anymore and they actually said they are going to no longer post in that forum about anything.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 10.22.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 10.22.40 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
It makes perfect sense to me. Enterprise scale operations are very likely to be flying in sensitive / restricted places.

Enterprise customers generate valuable revenue so you will, as a business, give them options that are not available to the general public.

Seriously what’s the fuss about?

Reactions: Kilrah
I agree, not sure what the fuss it about.
It's for enterprise customers. The hobbyist shouldn't be up in arms about it.
For a professionals, if they have been hired to fly in restricted places, if they have to pay, they charge it back to the business/corporation that hired them in the first place.

I am not referring to hobbyists. I am referring to all Part 107 operators. The FAA has a protocol in place called LAANC where a pilot gets permission to fly in restricted airspace. DJI refuses to acknowledge this system and has come up with their own rules. In many cases DJI restricts flights in airspace that is wide open. When that happens the operator has to request and receive permission from DJI.

There are even some AMA RC fields where DJI makes everyone get permission from DJI before you can fly.

Think of it this way. If you were a UBER driver would you be willing to ask permission from Toyota before you are allowed to drive? In order to avoid asking permission you can pay Toyota some money.

I am not referring to hobbyists. I am referring to all Part 107 operators. The FAA has a protocol in place called LAANC where a pilot gets permission to fly in restricted airspace. DJI refuses to acknowledge this system and has come up with their own rules. In many cases DJI restricts flights in airspace that is wide open. When that happens the operator has to request and receive permission from DJI.

There are even some AMA RC fields where DJI makes everyone get permission from DJI before you can fly.

Think of it this way. If you were a UBER driver would you be willing to ask permission from Toyota before you are allowed to drive? In order to avoid asking permission you can pay Toyota some money.

Where does DJI restrict flight in uncontrolled/unrestricted airspace?

Anyway - on the enterprise issue I think it's a perfectly reasonable idea. We control our own special use (restricted) airspace, for example, which requires custom unlocking.

Who died and made DJI ruler of air space specially here in the US?
Isn't this FAA responsibility?

Who died and made DJI ruler of air space specially here in the US?
Isn't this FAA responsibility?

FAA has authority. DJI isn't ruling anything - just implementing procedures to fly DJI equipment in certain kinds of airspace to try to minimize unsafe flying. Anyone who feels that is too restrictive is completely free to use different equipment.

Reactions: dannybgoode
Lol, I hacked mine. People will be drawn to DJI’s competitors if they entertain higher fees for unlocks. Autel Evo does not have Geo restrictions. Even Parrot’s Anafi doesn’t have Geo restrictions.

Lol, I hacked mine. People will be drawn to DJI’s competitors if they entertain higher fees for unlocks. Autel Evo does not have Geo restrictions. Even Parrot’s Anafi doesn’t have Geo restrictions.

I can’t see enterprise users rushing to Parrot or Autel though. Or many consumers if I’m honest...

. Autel Evo does not have Geo restrictions
We are talking about Enterprise drones such as DJI Matrice or Wind series aircraft.

Where does DJI restrict flight in uncontrolled/unrestricted airspace?

Anyway - on the enterprise issue I think it's a perfectly reasonable idea. We control our own special use (restricted) airspace, for example, which requires custom unlocking.

Here is an AMA field that DJI requires ALL pilots (recreational and Part 107) to get permission to fly.

http://www.valleyflyers.club

I can’t see enterprise users rushing to Parrot or Autel though. Or many consumers if I’m honest...

Some enterprise users are rushing to use Intel drones.

In addition, some enterprise users don't use DJI because of security concerns (e.g., sending flight data to China).

Some enterprise users are rushing to use Intel drones.

In addition, some enterprise users don't use DJI because of security concerns (e.g., sending flight data to China).

Intel and DJI have just signed a significant cooperative agreement so you can be sure Intel drones rely, at least for now, on some of DJI’s flight control knowhow.

we are talking about ALL DJI drones.
Then i might misunterstood you.
In your OP you were referring to:

Well, it looks like DJI is thinking about allowing their large enterprise users to completely opt out of Geo if they are willing to pay money.
There is no reference to ALL DJI drones.

Intel and DJI have just signed a significant cooperative agreement so you can be sure Intel drones rely, at least for now, on some of DJI’s flight control knowhow.

I was not aware of that. Can you provide a link with more information.

Then i might misunterstood you.
In your OP you were referring to:

There is no reference to ALL DJI drones.
Sorry, I assumed people knew that currently all DJI drones (hobby and commercial) use their GEO system to make sure the drones fly only in DJI approved airspace (not FAA approved airspace) and fly at altitudes approved by DJI.

I assumed people knew that currently all DJI drones (hobby and commercial) use their GEO system
I am well aware that all DJI drones using GEO.
Currently i am owning 3 'Enterprise' class of DJI drones and i have to deal sometimes with GEO unlocks in a RED zone. I tell you, that is time consuming and i am getting more and more grey hairs ...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake