DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do we not need any sort of EMF protection from the RC?

• Total voters
when is the last time you have a close handheld device that could connect up to 20 satellite and follows your wish and command at a 7km+ range? now you do..now :)
My friends and I have been flying RC aircraft for about 30 years now, and have used portable ham radio equipment almost as long --- radios capable of communicating with people on the other side of the world when conditions are right. And people have had Wi-Fi in their homes and have been putting cellphones up to their heads for decades. None of this is new technology. It's been studied extensively.

As far as connecting to satellites, remember 1) It's the drone that receives the satellite signals, not the controller, and 2) The drone receives signals from GPS/GLONASS, it doesn't transmit.

Reactions: jeremynotlin
The output is less than 1 watt FCC and less than half that in lands of the CE.
The frequency is similar to a domestic wifi unit.
It won't do any harm at all especially considering you would be unlikely to use it more than a few minutes anyway.

Question is, how about the input? what happens when you constantly command to a device that is 7 Km away from you ( less worries me ) the logic is if you handled your wifi router in our case RC that is constantly seeking to receive 10-20 setelite at the same time receiving and emitting continuously for 20-40mins a day what might be the byproduct to this..and what will this byproduct affects us in the long run.

I see the mountain, I want to see beyond the mountain so we have drone hahaha ( please excuse my joke Pilots if it's so not funny)

what happens when you constantly command to a device that is 7 Km away from you ( less worries me ) the logic is if you handled your wifi router in our case RC that is constantly seeking to receive 10-20 setelite
First of all, "seeking to receive" signals isn't a thing. It's passive. A GPS antenna either receives a signal or it doesn't. It doesn't reach out and try to grab signals floating around in the air. And again, the GPS receiver isn't in the RC, it's in the aircraft.

My friends and I have been flying RC aircraft for about 30 years now, and have used portable ham radio equipment almost as long --- radios capable of communicating with people on the other side of the world when conditions are right. And people have had Wi-Fi in their homes and have been putting cellphones up to their heads for decades. None of this is new technology. It's been studied extensively.

As far as connecting to satellites, remember 1) It's the drone that receives the satellite signals, not the controller, and 2) The drone receives signals from GPS/GLONASS, it doesn't transmit.

I fully respect and appreciate your insight Mr. Salty
and some of the studies I read indicate people now want to move away from living close to the power plant. turn off their wireless device when not using..I, for instance, no longer sleep with my phone anymore. one studies even says staff member that works on air-bus have a high rate of getting skin cancer..so much info.. yesterdays new or not; info as such keep health conscious folk on our feet.

I believe there is a price for anything, I can accept the good and the bad. Unmanned aircraft allow us to take such brilliant video and imagery that is the main reason we DJI fans willing to contribute our hard earn dollar to own and be apart of this, not 10 or 100 years ago, but today.
and because of our questions and discoveries, this industry shall prosper and continue to grow and advance into the future ahead.

Cheers

one studies even says staff member that works on air-bus have a high rate of getting skin cancer.
Which has nothing to do with radio waves or EMF. It has to do with long-term exposure to cosmic radiation at high altitudes, where it isn't filtered as much by the Earth's atmosphere.

The real people I worry about are the people who posted jokes and making fun of this person. Sad reality of the mean spirited world and cyber bullying
This is actually quite tame for the Internet.
Also I think most posters have really been quite light hearted with no malice intended.
The OP has responded well, and I can agree with a lot of his reasoning. He has brought up a topic for good conversation, and yes some posts are taking the p***s but not I believe in a mean way.
If you think this is "mean spirited and cyber bullying" you are mistaken.
I am interested in what comes out of it as I am really open to all different ideas.

I think we can still "sleep at night" so far. . .

Mr Salty wrapped up the "GPS satellite" threat you seem to be concerned with but I have "good news bad news" for you.

Since I like "positive" things let's start with the good news, those "satellites" are about 22,000 miles from you and the GPS receiver in the Mavic and your phone. (Means they are very weak when they get here)

Now for the kicker of bad news. . .(I don't mean to type this so you don't sleep tonight in a sheet of "tin foil") Those 20 or so GPS satellites are just the tip of the iceberg of radio waves "hitting you", 24x7x365 not just when you fly your Mavic. When Mr Salty transmits his HAM, they "hit you" too! (Would be fun to be able to hear what he is talking about but I already have enough issues getting sleep, I don't need to be listening to all those radio waves too!!)

My point is you are fine, many studies argue back and forth, eggs are bad for you don't eat them, oh eggs are good for you they are natural, the list goes on and on. RADAR is bad for you, just like Microwave towers are if you get between them for too long. (Again they are high power outputs the Mavic can't "see" that far as it is low power gear)

Perhaps we all look at out video screens too much, I know I love to see what the Mavic view is. Sort of "unreal" how it is moving along, up, down, turns, but "I'm not moving" even though it seems to look real enough to make me "think" I should be moving. Perhaps we will get "seasick" from watching the screen too much? (Or would that be "Skysick"?)

Great thread really, glad the OP started it!!!

After a couple of month of extensive Mavic-Video watching and contemplating; my Mavic Pro has finally arrived; bought it just week before going on cruises for the very first time.(Alaska)

Flew the Mavic 3 days on the roll at a park near my house for a total flight time of 55mins. but for some odd reasons I started to feel a bit unwell the first night and more unwell the second and third night..something is just not right, physically and emotionally...I can’t think of anything that is different in terms of the food water and environment..that I consistently thrive with already, only thing new is my newest hobby and pride investment)

Fortunately, I’m all better, for now, did a bit of research, tried bare footing on the grass to release potential unwanted energy that I might have been exposing and absorbed; back to the earth. and have not flown the drone or uses the RC for more than 24 hours, note I also have not taken any sort medication to help with my symptom.

SO, how strong is the radio wave energy that is emitting when we use DJI remote control? DJI RC might be small but it sure came with big packages; once turn on it directly seeking to connect up to 20 satellite and allow us to monitor live HD video from 7km away. that’s Hella POWERFUL. note day one during the software update and calibration in my study..all wifi connection went dead as soon as the RC and Mavic are on..and wifi back to normal when both are turn off.

Do we not need any sort of EMF protection? Had I a feeling it’s stronger than a power on microwave; potentially to be even stronger than x-ray..maybe?(I really don’t know) I hope not..because all of us are most likely holding the RC up close to our face, chest, abdominal, and yes Holy reproductive area..can we be sure that there is nothing being cooked or fried more or less within us?

I’m not trying to scare anyone or bashing DJI in any way, I love the company and community. but years back those cell phone popping popcorn video sort of enlighting on this incidence all of a sudden for me at least.

I just think this would be a great topic and just as important if not more important to all the great reviews, flight technique, drone setting, post editing..etc… safety first right?
That is totally ridiculous!

Nobody tell the op his body is being bombarded with radio signals across the whole spectrum 24/7 much stronger than a remote controller.

I'm trying not to get into this one, no disparage meant against OP BUT I well and truly grew up in 60s and 70s, can't remember much about those years. Cheach and Chong come to mind though.
This should be interesting
oh that ice cream van will stay with me forever as will the snow job ha ha ha ha

More likely the ill feeling is due to loss of orientation caused by looking at the screen then up at the drone then back to the screen, etc. A bit like the feeling of travel sickness.
I would expect that with practice the sensations will fade. Perhaps shorter sessions with the drone are in order.
If you still suspect it's the RC that's causing it, switch to WiFi and control the drone using only your smartphone.

I hope you get past this and enjoy flying your Mavic.

Actually, at first I had some disorientation and felt slightly unsettled with the Mavic going up and watching the screen.
Honestly felt a bit of nausea.
Thought maybe it was old age with loss of hearing giving me some balance problems.
Still get unsettled watching the screen and being grounded.
Bit like a doppelgänger.
The OP has genuine concerns, although I believe these are more wide spread than the Mavic.

Question is, how about the input? what happens when you constantly command to a device that is 7 Km away from you ( less worries me ) the logic is if you handled your wifi router in our case RC that is constantly seeking to receive 10-20 setelite at the same time receiving and emitting continuously for 20-40mins a day what might be the byproduct to this..and what will this byproduct affects us in the long run.

I see the mountain, I want to see beyond the mountain so we have drone hahaha ( please excuse my joke Pilots if it's so not funny)
The satellites are beaming their GPS data to the entire world all the time.... Just because your Mavic has its eyes open and is talking to your remote, there's no extra power...
Assume you have no cellphone... (much worse and closer to head)...

3bf154e3dfd67b05954c9b54cd369441.jpeg

Better Call Saul fans will understand
Chuck!!

Reactions: adrstuart
It might be disorientation? I have a friend that wanted to get into FPV. So I had him wear a extra set of goggles as I flew my racing drone around. When climbing straight up and flipping over trees,and diving straight down,he got motion sickness,to the point that he vomited! If you get a little queezy looking at the screen on a MP,you sure don't want to try a set of goggles!

Reactions: Pietros
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krasto