DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does anyone get attached to their drones?

-MavicMiniPilot

Reactions
I sold my Mavic mini that I flew for close to 3 years to buy a Mavic air. I should have kept both which was possible for me but I just didn’t need it. I sold it for $150 which was fine but I really miss it for some reason. It didn’t even preform that well but I have it for close to 3 years and pretty much flew it every day.

I sold my Mavic mini that I flew for close to 3 years to buy a Mavic air. I should have kept both which was possible for me but I just didn’t need it. I sold it for $150 which was fine but I really miss it for some reason. It didn’t even preform that well but I have it for close to 3 years and pretty much flew it every day.
I'm guessin you meant Attached.

Let's put it this way: I'm in no hurry to "upgrade" my MA2 (and give it up). If they hadn't done a Remote ID firmware update, not sure I would have purchased another DJI product.

I'm still holding onto my Mini 3 Pro even though I have a Mini 4 Pro. Being that I am now Part 107 licensed, I figured it was good to use the 3 as a backup if I were contracted for work and the 4 is out of commission for whatever reason (crash, major firmware bug that renders it inoperatable, etc.).

Last edited:
I might be running into this with my Mini 2. I mostly fly my Air2S, and am not willing to spend the $ on an RID module to make the Mini 2 legal under 107. I might de-register it so it qualifies for the exception and let my son fly it with his TRUST.

Except for the Air2S, which I sold for around 700€ to buy the Autel Evo Lite, which then I returned to buy the Mavic 3, I always keep my old gear as offerings to the gods of photography. 😆

Same for motorbikes, old PC components, consoles... I tend to keep them forever.

I keep thinking about buying a Mini 4 Pro and selling my Mavic Pro v1. Bottom line, I would probably keep the MP. Had it a long time and love it.
Don't we all need at least 3 drones??

I have not brought myself to selling any of my drones yet. I do not want to go through Seller remorse.

Yes! I believe that with certain possessions that we use in our adventures, it makes sense that we get emotionally attached. Whether it's a bicycle or kayak or set of skis, a camera or a drone, these are things we have spent time with, gone on adventures with, oftentimes even given names to! As we've flown our drones, we've vicariously flown WITH them, seeing with their eyes, imagined ourselves as birds also flying up above the landscape. We've identified with them. They are, in a way, our close friends. So of course one would get attached. I would not sell any of my drones, or my cameras.

Only the ones that turned out to be a POS like the Mini 1.

And then I bought a Skydio 2+ so it only made sense to sell the Skydio 2.

Yeah I fly the mini too and have had it for 2years but cannot bring myself to take it up to the full regulated height. It just seems so small and vulnerable way up there. It gets higher and higher and then I can’t take it any more and I bring it back down again. I’m not quite into giving it a kiss when I get it back though ( yet )

Reactions: -MavicMiniPilot
Yeah I fly the mini too and have had it for 2years but cannot bring myself to take it up to the full regulated height. It just seems so small and vulnerable way up there. It gets higher and higher and then I can’t take it any more and I bring it back down again. I’m not quite into giving it a kiss when I get it back though ( yet )
Mavic Mini understandable but Mini 2 thru Mini 4, won't be a problem, it will be a breeze. ;)

I hear you there. It’s difficult to maintain VLOS with the Minis on less than sunny days. Eventually want to upgrade to a Mavic since I have to register drones anyway for being Part 107 certified.

How cruel

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: Rchawks and Beet
On one side, I love my drones and want to keep them, On the other side it makes no sense keeping a drone which does not get flown anymore because a newer drone with more capabilities is preferred. So the old drone's batteries will die over time and without batteries the old drone is totally useless.
I still have my old Mavic Pro from December 2016 with meanwhile 5 batteries and white DJI goggles. It flies well and is fully reliable, but meanwhile I prefer taking the Mini 4 with Rokid goggles with me instead of the old Mavic Pro, so I just have to care about its batteries to regularly recharge them in hope to keep them alive, same for goggles battery and remote battery.

You will be fine. During the years I was lucky enough to own mine I pushed its limits. Flew 1.5 miles out over water at night down in Florida. It was super windy but I made it back. The only thing that sucked about the mini was its size. The only reason I bought that Mavic air is it’s bigger size and better wind resistance.

The mini was my first real drone. I guess as others said I am feeling regret for selling that. I 3d printed and made custom inserts to replace the foam in the arms. I guess I’ll be able to identify it if I see it somewhere online.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13