DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Farmer shoots at my MA2 drone

szakeetm

Reactions
Yesterday I was flying my drone, crossing a field at 30m altitude about 400m from my home point.
I heard one gunshot coming from the drone's location, then another 4 or 5 within the next 30 seconds.
After the first shot, I realized they must be shooting at my drone, ascended to 80m and got the hell out in sports mode.

Checking the log I see that I was flying over a farm, and as there are no other buildings nearby, I'm very confident that's where the shots came from:
[satellite photo removed for privacy]
The curved path is the evasive manouvre, the straight paths are the ones I originally intended. I'm about 80m from the house at the closest point.

Two weeks ago a colleague of mine had his Mavic 2 Zoom shot out of the sky around 30km from my flight area (he found the debris with a hole in the drone body).

As here in Europe guns are very rare, can I reach out to some more knowledgeable members?

- What is the range of a typical shotgun a farmer would use? If I fly at 120m altitude, is my drone relatively safe?
- Can a shotgun fire 5-6 shots within 30 seconds, or that's rather some other weapon?
- Does the fact that my drone was missed hint that it wasn't a shotgun?

A few answers before you ask:
- I can't imagine they were shooting at something else at the very place and time my drone was there
- Yes, it is legal to fly over someone's farm, as long as you respect privacy
- No, it is not legal to shoot at drones, in fact punishable by confiscation of the firearm and a criminal offence
- No, I won't avoid this farm just because a farmer finds my drone annoying
- As long as my drone wasn't hit and I don't have evidence police wouldn't really care

Last edited:
Shotguns have an effective range of about 35 m (38 yd) with buckshot, 45 m (49 yd) with birdshot, 100 m (110 yd) with slugs, and well over 150 m (160 yd) with saboted slugs in rifled barrels. Other rounds include: Ferret rounds: rounds designed to penetrate a thin barrier (e.g. a car door) and release a gas payload.

Yes, I would fly further away.

If your altitude was 30m, and distance to farmhouse / buildings 80m, your drones distance to the farm buildings was about 85 - 86m or so, certainly audible to most people.

Flying at 120m you should be fine, little chance if 80m or a little more away of hearing it . . . just don't stop / hover too long.

If it was a shotgun, you should be able to tell (BOOM . . . BOOM), and yes in 30 seconds one could easily put 5 or 6 rounds through even a single shot weapon.

If it was a rifle (or pistol), you will find it would be more of a loud CRACK, depending on calibre.

Yes, I would fly further away.

If your altitude was 30m, and distance to farmhouse / buildings 80m, your drones distance to the farm buildings was about 85 - 86m or so, certainly audible to most people.

Flying at 120m you should be fine, little chance if 80m or a little more away of hearing it . . . just don't stop / hover too long.

If it was a shotgun, you should be able to tell (BOOM . . . BOOM), and yes in 30 seconds one could easily put 5 or 6 rounds through even a single shot weapon.

If it was a rifle (or pistol), you will find it would be more of a loud CRACK, depending on calibre.

Thank you for both answers. It was loud boom-boom, similar to an exhaust pipe backfiring. I'll fly at 120m (max allowed).

Shotguns have an effective range of about 35 m (38 yd) with buckshot, 45 m (49 yd) with birdshot, 100 m (110 yd) with slugs, and well over 150 m (160 yd) with saboted slugs in rifled barrels. Other rounds include: Ferret rounds: rounds designed to penetrate a thin barrier (e.g. a car door) and release a gas payload.
Simply put, if the drone is at 120m no one on the ground with a shotgun is going to do any damage to it.

Hitting something as small as a drone that's moving and 120 m away is less likely than winning the Powerball lottery twice.

This "35 m (38 yd) with buckshot, 45 m (49 yd) with birdshot," needs to be reversed. Buckshot has a much greater range than birdshot. Birdshot varies in size from #12 shot up to BB shot. The smaller the lighter and high energy dropoff going upward fighting gravity and wind resistance. Hence BB shot will far exceed the range of #12 shot. But you are going to have more pellets with #12 vs BB shot, hence a greater probability of a hit, but at a lesser range. Lots of variables and therefore lots of 'depends' answers.

When you say effective range, what defines effective? Most of the "wiki" sources out there quoting such stats are thinking killing intended game, not putting lead pellets into the path of plastic blades spinning at high speed. The spinning blades provide the energy and the pellet needs merely to be present. Just a very few making contact with spinning blades can make for a bad day. That's the greater danger at the extreme ranges of birdshot. The larger the projectile, i.e. buckshot and slugs, the greater the range, but the likelihood of hitting the drone with those larger projectiles at that distance, moving, etc? Hardly a chance. But then why take a chance? Too many variables in play in this equation. I really think the farmer is sending you a message. Message is or should have been received.

Best advice I saw in this post is to fly a different route. There's a reason why commercial flights are flying around the Ukraine. Someone unhinged enough to open fire on a drone may well be unhinged enough to follow the drone back to the source if they fail to knock it down. The source, of course, is you. Sometimes it's not a matter of what you can rightfully do, but rather what is a smarter course of action. In short, why piss off someone with a gun and who's demonstrated a willingness to use it?

Never underestimate the stupidity or the tenacity of some people. And above all, never ever underestimate the determination or capability of an adversary.

Last edited:
This "35 m (38 yd) with buckshot, 45 m (49 yd) with birdshot," needs to be reversed. Buckshot has a much greater range than birdshot. Birdshot varies in size from #12 shot up to BB shot. The smaller the lighter and high energy dropoff going upward fighting gravity and wind resistance. Hence BB shot will far exceed the range of #12 shot. But you are going to have more pellets with #12 vs BB shot, hence a greater probability of a hit, but at a lesser range. Lots of variables and therefore lots of 'depends' answers.

When you say effective range, what defines effective? Most of the "wiki" sources out there quoting such stats are thinking killing intended game, not putting lead pellets into the path of plastic blades spinning at high speed. The spinning blades provide the energy and the pellet needs merely to be present. Just a very few making contact with spinning blades can make for a bad day. That's the greater danger at the extreme ranges of birdshot. The larger the projectile, i.e. buckshot and slugs, the greater the range, but the likelihood of hitting the drone with those larger projectiles at that distance, moving, etc? Hardly a chance. But then why take a chance? Too many variables in play in this equation. I really think the farmer is sending you a message. Message is or should have been received.

Best advice I saw in this post is to fly a different route. There's a reason why commercial flights are flying around the Ukraine. Someone unhinged enough to open fire on a drone may well be unhinged enough to follow the drone back to the source if they fail to knock it down. The source, of course, is you. Sometimes it's not a matter of what you can rightfully do, but rather what is a smarter course of action. In short, why piss off someone with a gun and who's demonstrated a willingness to use it?

Never underestimate the stupidity or the tenacity of some people. And above all, never ever underestimate the determination or capability of an adversary.
As for the person with the gun, leave him (his property) alone, people are freakin nuts nowadays.

Reactions: mavictk and Steel63
Believe the birdshot distance was further as it's a much wider pattern giving a better chance to hit and cause damage. Have to be a good shot anyways. Good luck.

I don't know French law, but here it is a crime to shoot at a drone. Check the law and report to the local constabulary if applicable. First though, maybe go talk to the farmer, show him some footage and try to make a friend.

Many thanks for all the answers.

I find it difficult to accept that one with a gun can make the law. Of course it’s the “smart” way to leave this guy alone, but doing that is going along the rule of the wild west, rather than a modern state of law. Next time the farmer will shoot at bikers because they annoy him too.

I will try to explain to the owner that it’s legal to fly a drone over his field,then I’ll stay away from that farm.

Last edited:
I would handle this differently , first I would drive to the farmers house and apologize for flying over his farm , and I would let him know that you know he was upset and thank him for firing the warning shots ..... PAUSE HERE !

Your about to learn the truth of what happened.
You may also confront his pain, hurt and anger and contempt , hold strong .

Depending on what was said I would let him know that you reported the incident to the Police so he would know who was flying over his farm in case an arrest needs to be made. lol

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water and make friends with Farmers.

Believe the birdshot distance was further as it's a much wider pattern giving a better chance to hit and cause damage. Have to be a good shot anyways. Good luck.
Think of this way. Consider #9 or #7 1/2 shot similar to a handful of sand. Throw it and see how far it goes. Consider buckshot 0 or 00, thereabouts a .32 cal bullet, similar to a handful of stones. Throw it and see how far it goes. Much further than the sand. Consider a rifle slug, an ounce of lead, similar to a small rock or large pebble, say about golf ball size. Throw it and see how far it goes. Much further than sand or pebbles. That's the full range of shotgun projectiles, from smallest to largest, and roughly how they compare when you throw sand, pebbles, or a small rock. From the chart below, they'll all reach, in theory, more than the maximum legal height for drones, i.e. 400 feet. How much energy they have will vary greatly and whether they make contact or not is somewhat skill and somewhat luck. For sure, the high-speed spinning props have all the energy needed if they make contact with just a few of the lead pellets. The larger the fewer needed to make contact.

I've been hit with #7 1/2 pellets at roughly 60 yards out. I was facing away and it was an unintended act. At worst they stung. They never penetrated clothing or skin. It was a non-event. Had that been buckshot and even one round hit in a vital spot at that range, lights out and story over. There's a huge difference between buckshot and birdshot. I know hunters who have killed deer at ranges of 75 to 100 yards with buckshot. It's a matter of a single pellet striking a vital spot. It's not common and a wise hunter wouldn't attempt such a shot, but it does happen that someone thinks they are shooting a slug when they've actually had buckshot chambered and have pulled off some very long shots that are quite surprising.

I think, if you felt it necessary to reach out to this farmer, you probably handled it in the safest manner possible, keeping yourself anonymous at both the physical mailbox and virtual throw-away email address levels.

Attachments

• IMG_3357.jpeg
    IMG_3357.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: szakeetm
I do like the response by @Phantomrain.org. The art of the interaction is to apologize then listen carefully.

FWIW, I have a ranch and drone and cattle and feral hogs. I know many farmers around me who would love to have the benefit of someone flying over their crops and reporting if or when hogs are mowing down their crop from the inside - not visible from the perimeter. It happens and can cost the farmer a lot. Another benefit is knowing if animals are coming in and destroying grounds or property, or perhaps someone else's livestock is in their hay field, or there is a break in the fence, etc. Maybe you can present some assurances, like privacy, and benefits and leave them with time to think about it. If you think you have neutralized the feelings, perhaps leave contact information or return again at a later time and maybe a symbiotic relationship can be created.

I do like the response by @Phantomrain.org. The art of the interaction is to apologize then listen carefully.

FWIW, I have a ranch and drone and cattle and feral hogs. I know many farmers around me who would love to have the benefit of someone flying over their crops and reporting if or when hogs are mowing down their crop from the inside - not visible from the perimeter. It happens and can cost the farmer a lot. Another benefit is knowing if animals are coming in and destroying grounds or property, or perhaps someone else's livestock is in their hay field, or there is a break in the fence, etc. Maybe you can present some assurances, like privacy, and benefits and leave them with time to think about it. If you think you have neutralized the feelings, perhaps leave contact information or return again at a later time and maybe a symbiotic relationship can be created.
Agreed. As a rancher, I'll testify most of us aren't crazy folks with itchy trigger fingers. Bullets cost money and as a group we're typically cheap as hell. 🤣 One reason I'm looking at a new drone is to check our animals on a property that's 10000+ acres. It is much more efficient than driving one's ATV over such a property. If you are in a rangeland area we also worry about predators because we lose animals from wild animal attacks. This would be a good talking point to a rancher- a friendly pilot can easily alert us to a wolf or bear coming close to the herd and give us jump time to go scare it off before an attack. Frankly, even a large predator can be deterred by the drone itself because it is so strange to them.

Having been clay pigeon shooting and won among a group of 20 for my first attempt. He would have shot it out of the sky had he wanted to. You sure it wasn't a gas scare crow? Usually used when new seeds have been sowed. Also 30m high above someone's property would be annoying as hell for them. Fly responsibly.

Having been clay pigeon shooting and won among a group of 20 for my first attempt. He would have shot it out of the sky had he wanted to. You sure it wasn't a gas scare crow? Usually used when new seeds have been sowed. Also 30m high above someone's property would be annoying as hell for them. Fly responsibly.
What is a gas scarecrow? Google doesn’t know either...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne