DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FCC vs CE range.

MavicKhan

Reactions
The US FCC compliant range for the Mavis is 4.3 miles.

The EC one is 2.5 miles.

A while ago, when I was considering buying a Phantom, I remember there was a simple way to revert a unit bought in the EC back to the FCC range (a recessed button in the controller?).

Do any of you happen to know if this will still be possible in a Mavic sourced from a EC country?

Thanks

No it's set via GPS location, there is only one version of the craft, the output can not be changed, depending on where the craft is it sets the output based on that

So bring your craft to US and it's in FCC, take that same craft to U.K. and it will set its self to CE.

This is not changeable.

Reactions: Ken Nash
No it's set via GPS location, there is only one version of the craft, the output can not be changed, depending on where the craft is it sets the output based on that

So bring your craft to US and it's in FCC, take that same craft to U.K. and it will set its self to CE.

This is not changeable.

Thanks.

Major, major bummer....:(

MK

How does this translate in real world performance? Is the range limited by actual distance between the controller and the drone? Or, does the controller have reduced output in CE mode?

Or to put it another way... let's say in FCC mode you can only get a range of 2 miles because of the conditions are not ideal. Will you still get 2 miles in CE mode under the same conditions or will the controller have reduced performance in CE mode causing maybe a 1 mile range?

This is not changeable.
Will be changed with the Brexit negociation ! :)

How does this translate in real world performance? Is the range limited by actual distance between the controller and the drone? Or, does the controller have reduced output in CE mode?

Or to put it another way... let's say in FCC mode you can only get a range of 2 miles because of the conditions are not ideal. Will you still get 2 miles in CE mode under the same conditions or will the controller have reduced performance in CE mode causing maybe a 1 mile range?

Reduced output.

The Mavic has more power output than the P4 in CE and I have had that over 4 miles in the correct contusions so it not an issue.

It's all about the environment not the output.

Reactions: Sentinel5P

Basically it will adjust transmitter power output from both the remote controller and Mavic itself.

When in FCC mode (based on GPS location) the remote controller will output ≤26 dBm (that's just under 400 mW)
When in CE mode (again based on GPS location) the remote controller will output ≤20 dBm (that's 100 mW)

I do not know the downlink power output (video stream / telemetry) from the Mavic itself is, but this will be controlled the same way.

(edit): "Better" antenna's (more dB) / and position are a key factor most of the times for a better range

Last edited by a moderator:
Since about 2 miles is easily possible with P3A/P on CEE - with good line of sight conditions - I suspect DJI's Mavic range estimate is conservative.
Transmitter power does not produce a linear response in your ultimate range.
More is generally better of course...

This is very interesting.. how can we confirm that our US mavic's are running in FCC mode?

So are they advertising a 4.3mile range in countries that can only get the CE 2mile version? Just curious..

Im sure it can be hacked if u do want to change it. Ive seen a hack for the p3p but not sure how all that works myself

Reactions: insainflow
how can we confirm that our US mavic's are running in FCC mode?
There is no way to visually check. This setting is set based on your Mavic's current GPS location.

Does anyone know/heard about MagicPower 5 for the Phantom 3/4K that can change the DBI of the remote from 17 to 27dbi? I used this on my Phantom 3 standard to improve its performance but dont know if its possible to trick the Mavic.

Does anyone know/heard about MagicPower 5 for the Phantom 3/4K that can change the DBI of the remote from 17 to 27dbi? I used this on my Phantom 3 standard to improve its performance but dont know if its possible to trick the Mavic.
Yeah I used that on my P3S. I guess it's just a matter of time until someone comes up with the same thing for the Mavic.

I just got a 6km run on mine in the UK, good location maybe in more urban environments the extra dbi provided a stronger signal but in clear locations it's getting well over the stated CE figures.

Basically it will adjust transmitter power output from both the remote controller and Mavic itself.

When in FCC mode (based on GPS location) the remote controller will output ≤26 dBm (that's just under 400 mW)
When in CE mode (again based on GPS location) the remote controller will output ≤20 dBm (that's 100 mW)

I do not know the downlink power output (video stream / telemetry) from the Mavic itself is, but this will be controlled the same way.

(edit): "Better" antenna's (more dB) / and position are a key factor most of the times for a better range

Hello,
can you tell me or is it written?
In the mavic documentation?

There is no way to visually check. This setting is set based on your Mavic's current GPS location.

Does the spectrum Analyzer display in the App change readings based on the UK versus USA? I would figure that the output from the Mavic would show a bit lower in the UK.

Rob

Does the spectrum Analyzer display in the App change readings based on the UK versus USA?
I'm not sure. I've never flown outside of the US.

Does the spectrum Analyzer display in the App change readings based on the UK versus USA? I would figure that the output from the Mavic would show a bit lower in the UK.

Rob

The reply to this question is contained in the movie "This is Spinal Tap."

MK

"So are they advertising a 4.3mile range in countries that can only get the CE 2mile version? Just curious.."

Yes, yes they are.

and the new Spark has a pathetic 300 meter range

and the new Spark has a pathetic 300 meter range
It's actually a little less pathetic than the Mavic's advertised range of 262 ft (80 m).

The DJI Spark's range is ~10 ft when flying with hand gestures, 328 ft (100 m) distance & 164 ft (50 m) height when flying with a mobile device, and 1.2 miles FCC (500 m CE) when flying with the DJI Spark remote controller.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clang123