DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly no longer supported on any iPad Minis!

My Apple mini 4, 128GB unit is having problems with not enough proc power, which is being reported by the Fly app for my Mini 2. Thanks for informing me of this.
P.S. Come to think about it, I was getting a weird red screen flashing ever so often and jerky live screen photo/video when flying with the Mini 4. I replaced it with my s22ultra and had no issues. So, now what do with that mini 4?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220820-111939_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220820-111939_Gallery.jpg
    895.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I fly my mavic mini 1 with an iPad Air 1, no problems. If they don't support it I don't really care. I have just updated FLY and no issues.
I flew without issues on an earlier versions so if it gets to the point where I can't update FLY any more, then I will just use what I have got. I sure as hell won't be bothered enough to get a new device just to use FLY.
You could always use a third party app like LITCHI

That Error message of course is pretty self-explanatory, Recent versions of Fly have been becoming more CPU Intensive by probably doing more things that they can't process on the drone, all the flight modes, etc.

Chances are while the iPad Mini 5 was an A12 Bionic and is 3 years old, and was replaced by the Mini 6 which has a A15 Bionic, the Mini 5 probably won't cut it any more, but an Gen 6 will probably work fine, even if DJI does not say so, that processor should have more than enough power for now.
I bought a gen 6 iPad mini for the Mm and my M2Pro. Both fly and g4 work perfectly, no issues so far!

Having tried several iPad Minis and talking to DJI Support because of their failures, they have finally come back and said that they do not support any of the iPad Minis, only those in the list below copied from their email!
Very annoying as I find the full sized iPads far too big, make the controller very top heavy!
I do not want to go over to Android.

View attachment 153389
I bought a gen 6 iPad mini for the Mm and my M2Pro. Both fly and g4 work perfectly, no issues so far!

I had the Ipad Mini4. About the end of last year it was supporting the DJIFly App. The processor did not support the funcions of the APP. I bought the Ipad Min 6 and it works well so far.
I don't know how far it will support the APP since they are increasing functions and drone models supported by this APP.

iPad Mini 5 running a DJI Mini 2 with DJI Fly works fine for me. I do keep up with all updates.

I started out with a borrowed iPad Mini 4, and still occasionally use an iPhone 6s. Turning off Cache seems to help a lot with avoiding proc overload messages. Cache is that function that records a lower res video on your phone/tablet. Useful for some, I’ve never missed it!

Reactions: andrew reeves
iPad Mini 5 running a DJI Mini 2 with DJI Fly works fine for me. I do keep up with all updates.

I started out with a borrowed iPad Mini 4, and still occasionally use an iPhone 6s. Turning off Cache seems to help a lot with avoiding proc overload messages. Cache is that function that records a lower res video on your phone/tablet. Useful for some, I’ve never missed it!
Great idea. I'm going to try that before retiring it, too.

I have never seen a company work so hard and diligently to suck as bad as DJI does.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jason_M
Android - check the Tripltek 8 Pro. Will provide a much brighter screen, ample power and rarely upgraded maintaining the known stability. Only negative is hefty weight and often works best with a new tablet mount.

IPad's... I use the Mini 5 & Mini 6 with both Fly app & Go4 App... zero issues! The only iPad I've experienced issues is the 11" iPadPro having a connection issue, not a Fly App, I think the new M1 11" doesn't have the same connection issues. The 11" had been my favorite & preferred Tablet, to me ideal size & weight... may try a M1 11" in future.

The Mini 6 is a beautiful size, light weight, nice performer. Little low on Nit Brightness, but normally workable. I wouldn't be shy of the Mini6... I'd suggest the cellular to obtain GPS on tablet.

Doesn't make sense when their RCs device holder won't open that far.

The iPad mini came out in 2015 ... it was great for the time, but that time is back in the past when the DJI apps keep getting more demanding.
Even the Mini 6 still only has 3GB of RAM.

I'm always amused to hear people saying they wouldn't consider an Android device, or that (they believe) DJI software runs better on Apple.
I've used two Android tablets since April 2015 (7 years now) and the DJI apps have performed flawlessly, without a single glitch over a couple of thousand flights.
The older one still works as well now as when it was new.
And no dark screen or shutting down because of cold or heat.
I agree! Personally, I hate apple products, but I had to get one when I started repairing drones so I could be sure the drones worked properly before I sold them. I bought a Mini 2, which works fine on the Go4 app, but as soon as I tried to fly the Air2s, I got the cpu overload message. So I purchased a 8" android tablet from eBay with a octacore processor for $35 which works great on the Air2s/Fly app & the Go4 app and the actual screen size is larger & brighter than the iPad. Here's one that I just found on eBay: Ellipsis QTAQZ3 8" 16GB Wi-Fi Android 5.1.1 Tablet - Black | eBay

Reactions: Rojan

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones