DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in single digit °F temps

Rwebdaddy

Reactions
So what's everyone's input or experience in flying in Arctic weather? I bought a Mavic Air in the spring/summer of 2018 and haven't had the chance to take it ice fishing.
I bought some snow/water landing gear for it. Ofcourse the gear would be for emergency landings only.

Attachments

• 20181230_134754.jpg
    20181230_134754.jpg
    9.3 MB · Views: 44
  • 20190105_192538.jpg
    20190105_192538.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 42
I fly in the 3X F; regularly. I stay in my car. I have limited range, but not noticeably reduced battery life.

I'll be heading out shortly, and expect it to stay below 40F at ground level. I have no idea what the temperature will be at 250 feet.

My understanding is that so long as you keep the batteries warm before the flight, there should be no issue. So far, I can attest to that.

I flew in 10°F the other day. Other than DjiGo4 app displaying battery temperature warning flying was great. Battery life was a bit shorter. If bringing the craft directly into a nice warm place I suggest folding up your Mavic and sealing in a plastic bag to warm up. I do this with my camera equipment so it won't collect condensation.

I was flying in 0 degree weather the other day and got a gimble overload warning on m2z. First time I have seen this. I'm assuming it was from the cold. Anybody else had this?

I have flown several commercial jobs in -20f. Place your bird on the ground for a couple of minutes to acclimate the temp. Keep your bats warm until your your ready to start the motors. After starting raise up and hover about a foot or two above the ground for a minute or two to warm it up. I have flown a couple of bats at over 20 minutes this way.

If there is any moisture in the air you can wipe a little anti-freeze on the blades to keep them from icing up. Otherwise, you need to check them frequently so you don't lose the bird because of Ice.

When you land, I use a garbage bag to put the bird in, close it up tight to remove as much air as possible and seal it. Then let it return to normal temps in the bag. Otherwise If you just bring it into the warm vehicle as mentioned above it will collect condensation from the air in the vehicle.

You can also check the groups and youtube for others with cold weather flying.

Good luck and Fly Safe!

Reactions: IgorD2 and k.daddy
I have flown several commercial jobs in -20f. Place your bird on the ground for a couple of minutes to acclimate the temp. Keep your bats warm until your your ready to start the motors. After starting raise up and hover about a foot or two above the ground for a minute or two to warm it up. I have flown a couple of bats at over 20 minutes this way.

If there is any moisture in the air you can wipe a little anti-freeze on the blades to keep them from icing up. Otherwise, you need to check them frequently so you don't lose the bird because of Ice.

When you land, I use a garbage bag to put the bird in, close it up tight to remove as much air as possible and seal it. Then let it return to normal temps in the bag. Otherwise If you just bring it into the warm vehicle as mentioned above it will collect condensation from the air in the vehicle.

You can also check the groups and youtube for others with cold weather flying.

Good luck and Fly Safe!
"If there is any moisture in the air you can wipe a little anti-freeze on the blades to keep them from icing up. "

Have you tried Rain X?

I regularly fly in in the -20s Fahrenheit. Last year while I was at camp I flew several batteries during a really cold snap, the temp was around -35C/-31F and never had a problem. I have not noticed any significant decrease in flight times do to flying in cold.
Two things to keep in mind is to make sure your batteries are warm Lipo like any battery do not perform well when frozen, second when I'm finished flying I fold it up and put it in a Ziploc bag and suck the air out to prevent condensation forming.
We are in the midst of another cold snap right now and I'm still flying, -25C/-14F on yesterday's flight. Hope this info helps feel free if if you have any other questions.
Cheers

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan