DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

H.264 Or H.265 which one?

H.264 is more compatible overall, H.265 has more quality in less space but is more hardware intensive and more codec challenging.

I like more H.265 but if you want to simplify your life H.264

My understanding is the 265 compresses to small package than 264. Purchase your microchips accordingly. (High speed) Also, there are several wonderful files available to assist you when using H.265. Finally, beef up your RAM, you will definitely find value there.
All these points (H.264 vs H.265) are already on this forum. You should be able to easily locate them.

Reactions: JoelP
I like more H.265 but if you want to simplify your life H.264
^^^THIS
For software compatibility (has nothing to do with the drone), I now use H.264 exclusively. The additional disk space is negligible...especially compared to what I save by dropping back to HD from 4K.

Reactions: db4476
^^^THIS
For software compatibility (has nothing to do with the drone), I now use H.264 exclusively. The additional disk space is negligible...especially compared to what I save by dropping back to HD from 4K.
Correct. For the drone is irrelevant. Is for software and playback compatibility. Many of this footage straight from the drone at H.265 is very difficult to play especially at 5.1K 50FPS. You really need a high-end computer to play. Once is post-processed make it easier to handle.

I have an AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, 128GB of DDR4 3466mz, 1TB Samsung 980 PRO nvme, RTX 3070 on windows 11, and the video still jumps and can't play completely smooth the RAW. The Mavic 3 produces a lot of information on the video file.

For people with slower computers and who do not want to edit the video just use H.264 and this will simplify your life. That's just my recommendation.

why does amd seem to think I want to play games i need a computer that works with my drones I could care less about games

why does amd seem to think I want to play games i need a computer that works with my drones I could care less about games

Not sure what you're talking about, but the hardware required to play high end games at high frame rates and quality settings is very similar to what is required for photo/video editing. This is why gaming laptops make some of the best mobile workstations, and also why manufacturers are toning down the "gaming" design aesthetic on many of their laptops.

Reactions: Capt KO and zeusfl
Just to add to what has already been mentioned here, with Davinci Resolve, if you do not have the paid version it does not take full advantage of your GPU and editing is much slower. Also, you can edit in proxy mode if you wish, which for example allows you to have a 1080P timeline and 4K output - great for slower computers.

Personally I shoot in H265 and export in H264, I have no issues.

I have an AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, 128GB of DDR4 3466mz, 1TB Samsung 980 PRO nvme, RTX 3070 on windows 11, and the video still jumps and can't play completely smooth the RAW. The Mavic 3 produces a lot of information on the video file.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS and chipset drivers for your mobo - Windows 11 had major performance issues with Ryzen 5000 series CPUs up until very recently. I have a similar setup and I don't have any issues, but I won't be moving from Windows 10 until I am forced to for obvious reasons.

I have the same question as Javier0509. I use Resolve 17 for post.
I cannot get Resolve to edit H.265, even though it implies in the preference settings that it will. When loading the video files into the Resolve, the media pool window shows a "Media Offline" icon in red. It doesn't show a frame of the video like usual, which is required to pull the file it into the edit timeline. I've tried everything to fix this, spent hours watching Resolve videos to "resolve" this problem.
The sad part is the only way my A2S will record 4K@60 is with H.265. The drone automatically changes the codec method to H.265 when you select 4K@60 on the home screen selector. The app DOES NOT tell you it's changing the codec method, which is what really ticked me off. I originally set the codec to H.264. For weeks I thought I was recording in H.264, when actually it was recording in H.265 without me knowing it. My VLC video player can play the video, but it's jerky. I use VLC to quickly check confirm videos are working after flying, when edit later. It took me a while to figure out figure out what my Resolve problem was causing the "media offline" error message, because the drone changed the codec to H.265 without telling me when I selected 4K@60 on the Fly home screen. However when I used the inspector tool in Resolve, I discovered the metadata indicated it was recorded with H.265. That was a clue. As a result I have a bunch of video with H.265 that I cannot edit with Resolve 17.
I successfully used a PC Windows app called Handbrake to convert H.265 to H.264. Resolve can then edit my video. However it's a long process to convert 4K@60 files, and I have unknowingly recorded many H.265 files. If anyone is editing H.265 video with Resolve, please PM me. I've looked and looked for a setting in Resolve for this and can't find one that works.
I'm told Premier Pro will edit H.265, no problem. So I may have to go back to PP if I want to continue shooting 4K@60 videos with my A2S. My P4P can shoot 4K@60 in H.264, no problem, but the new A2S cannot. So much for newer technology.

Last edited:
Not sure what you're talking about, but the hardware required to play high end games at high frame rates and quality settings is very similar to what is required for photo/video editing. This is why gaming laptops make some of the best mobile workstations, and also why manufacturers are toning down the "gaming" design aesthetic on many of their laptops.
thanks i suspected that just needed a conformation

Reactions: CanadaDrone
I cannot get Resolve to edit H.265, even though it implies in the preference settings that it will. When loading the video files into the Resolve media pool, the icon shows a "Media Offline" icon in red. It doesn't show a frame of the video like usual. I've tried everything to fix this, spent hours watching Resolve videos to "resolve" this problem.
The sad part is the only way my A2S will record 4K@60 is with H.265. The drone automatically changes the codec method to H.265 when you select 4K@60 on the home screen selector. The app DOES NOT tell you it's changing the codec method, which is what really ticked me off. I originally set the codec to H.264. For weeks I thought I was recording in H.264, when actually it was recording in H.265 without me know it. My VLC video player can play the video, but it's jerky. I use VLC to quickly check confirm videos are working after flying, when edit later. It took me a while to figure out figure out what my Resolve problem was causing the "media offline" error message, because the drone changed the codec to H.265 without telling me when I selected 4K@60 on the Fly home screen. However when I used the inspector tool in Resolve, I discovered the metadata indicated it was recorded with H.265. That was a clue. As a result I have a bunch of video with H.265 that I cannot edit with Resolve 17.
I successfully used a PC Windows app called Handbrake to convert H.265 to H.264. Resolve can then edit my video. However it's a long process to convert 4K@60 files, and I have unknowingly recorded many H.265 files. If anyone is editing H.265 video with Resolve, please PM me. I've looked and looked for a setting in Resolve for this and can't find one that works.
I'm told Premier Pro will edit H.265, no problem. So I may have to go back to PP if I want to continue shooting 4K@60 videos with my A2S. My P4P can shoot 4K@60 in H.264, no problem, but the new A2S cannot. So much for newer technology.

The limit for Davinci Resolve free version is 8bit H265 so you won't be able to edit your 10bit footage.

If you only have the free version, you also cannot use hardware acceleration for H265. The Studio version unlocks GPU acceleration for H265.

So if you have the free version, buying Davinci Resolve Studio should solve the problem. If you already have the Studio version, then I am not sure what is going on.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Make sure you have the latest BIOS and chipset drivers for your mobo - Windows 11 had major performance issues with Ryzen 5000 series CPUs up until very recently. I have a similar setup and I don't have any issues, but I won't be moving from Windows 10 until I am forced to for obvious reasons.
The only reason for stain in Windows 11 is because of the Wifi 6E. I have a Router Nighauwks RE500 and an intel AX210 on my computer and I can archive 1.2Gb over Wifi. Faster than ethernet but only in Windows 11 because Windows 10 does not have a license for Wifi 6E (6Ghz band). I know there is a registry mod but I don't want to do that.

I cannot get Resolve to edit H.265, even though it implies in the preference settings that it will. When loading the video files into the Resolve, the media pool window shows a "Media Offline" icon in red. It doesn't show a frame of the video like usual, which is required to pull the file it into the edit timeline. I've tried everything to fix this, spent hours watching Resolve videos to "resolve" this problem.
The sad part is the only way my A2S will record 4K@60 is with H.265. The drone automatically changes the codec method to H.265 when you select 4K@60 on the home screen selector. The app DOES NOT tell you it's changing the codec method, which is what really ticked me off. I originally set the codec to H.264. For weeks I thought I was recording in H.264, when actually it was recording in H.265 without me knowing it. My VLC video player can play the video, but it's jerky. I use VLC to quickly check confirm videos are working after flying, when edit later. It took me a while to figure out figure out what my Resolve problem was causing the "media offline" error message, because the drone changed the codec to H.265 without telling me when I selected 4K@60 on the Fly home screen. However when I used the inspector tool in Resolve, I discovered the metadata indicated it was recorded with H.265. That was a clue. As a result I have a bunch of video with H.265 that I cannot edit with Resolve 17.
That is weird. I am sure I edited videos before with the free version of resolve 17 Dlog without the problem at H.265 but i will confirm this today.

That is weird. I am sure I edited videos before with the free version of resolve 17 Dlog without the problem at H.265 but i will confirm this today.

The problem is not H265, it's the bit depth. The free version only supports 8bit.

Reactions: zeusfl
It depends on what you’re wanting to do with the video. If you upload to YouTube, H264, because that’s the codec their system uses. For everything else, if you’re editing in 4K, H265.

It depends on what you’re wanting to do with the video. If you upload to YouTube, H264, because that’s the codec their system uses. For everything else, if you’re editing in 4K, H265.
YouTube transcodes every clip you upload. I’ve uploaded many h.265 clips, I get high quality in a smaller package for uploading. I’ve also done several non-drone projects at 8k, where I must work in h.265.

YouTube does indeed distribute in h.264, but accept all kinds of tasty codecs supporting various workflows, including h.265, ProRes, DNxHD, and many others.

The better quality you upload the better their transcodes will look…

Reactions: waternut13134

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Va1entin