DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anyone ever had a motor fail?

shutterup

Reactions
I always get anxious when flying incase I get a failure and plummit to the ground.

But having a hightend sense of anxiety is a good thing to keep you from making silly, basic mistakes.

So it got me thinking, I've been flying since the Phantom 2 days and never had a failure nor flyaway. But I generally don't fly more than 50 take offs a year, has anyone ever had a motor (no prop) fail on a DJI craft?

MPP, 2100+ takeoff's, no prop or motor failures.

Update: Oops... I mean 2100+ miles not takeoffs.

Last edited:
@shutterup worrying about a motor failure ,on a brushless motor powered drone should be the last thing on your mind
of course if you spend a lot of time flying in sandy or dusty conditions then you could encounter issues with the bearings
if they are looked after correctly ,kept clean and dry,and no attempt made to try and oil them,then they will quite easily out last the rest of the airframe

That's refreshing, I've heard of people flying in the rain with them, is that safe?

What failures should I be more concerned with?

I mean I'm dilligant with pre flight check lists but if one thing is gonna go its the......??

Thanks
@shutterup worrying about a motor failure ,on a brushless motor powered drone should be the last thing on your mind
of course if you spend a lot of time flying in sandy or dusty conditions then you could encounter issues with the bearings
if they are looked after correctly ,kept clean and dry,and no attempt made to try and oil them,then they will quite easily out last the rest of the airframe

Reactions: old man mavic
rain itself will not actually damage the motor its more like sea water spray that can cause corrosion if left in the motor
the main things to check before flight are the airframe for any damage ,such as stress cracks lose screws etc
the props for damage the battery ,is it secured properly and not showing signs of swelling

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
So it's safe to fly in the rain wirhba wet suit?

Thanks all, while I've been doing this year's, it's always good to ask those questions that have been niggling away lol
rain itself will not actually damage the motor its more like sea water spray that can cause corrosion if left in the motor
the main things to check before flight are the airframe for any damage ,such as stress cracks lose screws etc
the props for damage the battery ,is it secured properly and not showing signs of swelling

So it's safe to fly in the rain wirhba wet suit?

Thanks all, while I've been doing this year's, it's always good to ask those questions that have been niggling away lol

NO!
Any non-standard thing you do presents a risk. Manage your risks as best you can. Some are willing to take greater risk and should be prepared to deal with consequences. :)

Reactions: FlyoverDRN
I have been flying drones, planes and helicopters for many years and never had a motor failed on me. Electric motors are NOT like gas engines, they are very simple and very reliable.
What will fail you is ...... you. Pilot error. As we get better at flying, we also become more cocky, and that's when we do stupid things.
If you have a doubt when flying, stop and follow your brain.

I have been flying drones, planes and helicopters for many years and never had a motor failed on me. Electric motors are NOT like gas engines, they are very simple and very reliable.
What will fail you is ...... you. Pilot error. As we get better at flying, we also become more cocky, and that's when we do stupid things.

Beat me to it....DITTO what he said :)

I have heard of it happening but never have had it happen personally. Most of the time with a motor malfunction it ha something to do with something getting in one of the motors. Not something you should be overly concerned with.

And that's why I don't mind slight anxiety when flying as I believe it keeps you aware

I once buried a 150mph pylon Racer. I had to dig down 20cm to get the Brushless motor back. After replacing the bent mainshaft, cleaning the muck out with plain water, it's still in use 6 years later.

Wow!
I once buried a 150mph pylon Racer. I had to dig down 20cm to get the Brushless motor back. After replacing the bent mainshaft, cleaning the muck out with plain water, it's still in use 6 years later.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31