DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has the drone industry reached stagnation ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mavic-Master88

Reactions
Just wondering why no new Mavic or Phantom models announced for 2019?

It seems like the consumer drone industry has reached a point of stagnation --- gone are the days from 2014 thru 2018 when new models would really get us pumped up with excitement.

Is it because the new FAA drone laws being enacted soon will kill off the hobby?

Reactions: M2Pro
Reactions: Amarand
Which new laws are you referring to?

This guy explains them --- I think it's obvious the Feds are gonna restrict the airspace for us hobbyists to favor commercial delivery drones like Amazon is planning on using --- the govt. can make MILLIONS from taxes and fees on commercial drone delivery but makes nothing on recreational drone use:

This guy explains them
Except he doesn't explain any new FAA drone laws being enacted soon that will kill off the hobby.
I think it's obvious the Feds are gonna restrict the airspace for us hobbyists to favor commercial delivery drones like Amazon is planning on using --- the govt. can make MILLIONS from taxes and fees on commercial drone delivery but makes nothing on recreational drone use:
That's a different matter and so far, it's just you guessing.

Reactions: Xavier Truth
Just wondering why no new Mavic or Phantom models announced for 2019?

It’s been less than a year since the m2p and m2z were released...........

I would expect DJIs next drone release to come next year.

Seems that all techies expect all tech companies to follow apples model and release a new product every year. Most of us are still learning all of the capabilities of the M2.

I think it's obvious the Feds are gonna restrict the airspace for us hobbyists to favor commercial delivery drones like Amazon is planning on using
I'll be honest -- I didn't watch the entire 14 minute video. I scrubbed through and only heard him talking about the current hobbyist rules that I covered here:

I heard no mention of the feds trying to restrict the airspace to make room for companies like Amazon. And that's kind of a ridiculous idea since the FAA could easily ask those companies to fly above 400 feet. I haven't read much about drone deliveries lately, so I don't know what they have in the works.

I think it's obvious the Feds are gonna restrict the airspace for us hobbyists to favor commercial delivery drones like Amazon is planning on using

If the government was going to do that they would have done it when they were writing the laws they just enacted.

the govt. can make MILLIONS from taxes and fees on commercial drone delivery but makes nothing on recreational drone use

The government could make millions on hobbyists if it wanted to. All they'd have to do is impose more taxes and fees.

First off, @Mavic-Master88 welcome to the forum.

The sUAS Industry is far from hitting the "stagnation" point. Drone sales as a whole are still climbing and more people are getting into the hobby every minute of the day.

I don't think I'd bet my bottom dollar on what that YT provider is feeding to you. His purpose is to spew half facts and create a frenzy to increase views, subscribes and of course likes. Be sure to take anything he says with a grain of salt and mix it in with some in-depth research and self thinking.

i dont think that any of the new legislation being applied,to drones is designed to kill of our hobby,it is a way of ensuring that people fly there drones in a safe as possible way to help prevent accidents,it is no different to the rules that manned aviation has to comply with in order to take to the skies.

I heard no mention of the feds trying to restrict the airspace to make room for companies like Amazon. And that's kind of a ridiculous idea since the FAA could easily ask those companies to fly above 400 feet. I haven't read much about drone deliveries lately, so I don't know what they have in the works.

It all boils down to common sense. If the government is going to control the airspace under 400 feet where only UAVs will fly --- are they going to give that airspace to hobbyists like us who only generate money for Uncle Sam one time with sales tax when we buy a drone --- or will they give precedence to commercial drones like Amazon, Walmart, Target, and Walgreens that will give the state and Feds MILLIONS of dollars every year in drone flight taxes generated from countless flights?

My bet is on Amazon and Walmart winning that war --- within 10 years we will be restricted to flying 8 ounce drones in our backyards no higher than 30 feet.

i dont think that any of the new legislation being applied,to drones is designed to kill of our hobby,it is a way of ensuring that people fly there drones in a safe as possible way to help prevent accidents,it is no different to the rules that manned aviation has to comply with in order to take to the skies.

What I'm implying is that hobbyists are going to lose out to commercial drone use because we won't be generating millions of dollars in tax revenue like the drone delivery companies will.

What I'm implying is that hobbyists are going to lose out to commercial drone use because we won't be generating millions of dollars in tax revenue like the drone delivery companies will.
That's just a guess but there's nothing to support it except you have a feeling it could go that way.
It's interesting that you are so skeptical about the viability of private drone flying but not at all skeptical about the fantasy of widespread drone deliveries.

The sUAS Industry is far from hitting the "stagnation" point. Drone sales as a whole are still climbing and more people are getting into the hobby every minute of the day.

Based on my own personal experience, it seems consumer drones have hit a stagnation point. I used to see customers in Best Buy flocking to the drone aisle and drooling over the newest Phantom or Mavic models released. So far this year, I never see any customers in that aisle. No new DJI models for 2019 probably reflects declining consumer interest.

Same applies to the local parks. From 2014 to 2018 I saw lots of folks flying their drones at public parks. This year I havent seen one. Makes you wonder if the hobby is declining.

The government could make millions on hobbyists if it wanted to. All they'd have to do is impose more taxes and fees.

That idea would never work because most of us are not using our drones to generate income. I'm not gonna pay a tax just to fly a drone in my backyard.

On the other hand, Amazon and Walmart and Walgreens will gladly pay drone taxes because 100% of their drone use is being used to generate profits. Taxes are just a part of doing business for them.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
That's just a guess but there's nothing to support it except you have a feeling it could go that way.
It's interesting that you are so skeptical about the viability of private drone flying but not at all skeptical about the fantasy of widespread drone deliveries.
If the gov't charges a fee for taking the new, up and coming recreational knowledge test, doesn't grandfather it in, and continues to charge for a re-test/ "cert" every year or so, the govern't will be making its millions off of us recreational fliers anyway. Again, I am guessing here, but I can see that as a real, possible happening. It never fails...if there's a way for the gov't to make money off of something that becomes popular w/ a lot of people, they eventually figure out a way to get their "piece of the pie." :-(

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimwinter