DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hi from old farmer in Oklahoma

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the MA2, great kids you have :)
Will certainly be handy to dart off here and there to check things around the farm, save the legs.
Been farming a long while then ?
Always admired people on the land, putting food on people’s plates, and it can be a hard, but rewarding lifestyle.

Last edited:
I am a 72 year old Wheat and Cattle farmer in north central Oklahoma. My son and daughter bought me a Mavic Air 2 for my birthday.
Since I will be using this to check and herd cattle etc. can I still register as recreational?
dbjoyner
I think that unless you have your 107 pilot certification, you have to register the drone as recreational. However, the FAA will require recreational drone operators take a short basic lesson and pass a test on their website. It is a "NO FAIL" test. Just a basic review of drone operating rules.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the MA2, great kids you have :)
Will certainly be handy to dart off here and there to check things around the farm, save the legs.
Been farming a long while then ?
Always admired people on the land, putting food on people’s plates, and it can be a hard, but rewarding lifestyle.
thanks for the info and yes, grew up here helping on the farm and then in 1979 when stepdad passed, started full time.

Thanks everyone for your replies, will get busy and get my recreational license. I flew over and looked at my calves grazing on wheat pasture and noticed when the drone was close, that they would move back, or walk away. So when I came home I went to you tube and searched "herding cattle with drone" sure enough, found videos. For a short while, I thought I had discovered something new!!! Late again, the story of my life!!!!

I am a 72 year old Wheat and Cattle farmer in north central Oklahoma. My son and daughter bought me a Mavic Air 2 for my birthday.
Since I will be using this to check and herd cattle etc. can I still register as recreational?
dbjoyner

I imagine you can check your water tanks and feed troughs too. I'm using mine with an eye towards security.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum! Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum from the dry lakeless hills of Lake City FL. An irony... I know. If lakes grew here as much as your knowledge will, Lake City would become an ocean. ;) I lived in Oklahoma for about 6 years. Lots of tornadoes and cold weather frightened us away to Florida, the land of the sun.

Welcome again!

thanks for the info and yes, grew up here helping on the farm and then in 1979 when stepdad passed, started full time.

That's awesome, you must love it there and get such a good sense of lifes laid back (hopefully stress free) opportunities.
I think farming would be a great lifes choice, busy always, not too stressful . . . unless you get 10+ years of drought, like the Aussie farmers have in the recent past.
Enjoy the drone, and the rounding up !

Welcome to the forum! :)

I think that unless you have your 107 pilot certification, you have to register the drone as recreational. However, the FAA will require recreational drone operators take a short basic lesson and pass a test on their website. It is a "NO FAIL" test. Just a basic review of drone operating rules.
Yes if I can pass it anyone can.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78