How do the transmitter's joysticks send control input?

Discussion in 'Mavic Pro Discussions' started by MavicCF, Feb 13, 2018.

1. MavicCF

MavicCF Well-Known Member

So I'm thinking of building a ground station that utilizes video game joysticks as the control input. I was wondering how the transmitter's sticks send signal to the main board, I've taken apart other TXs that had 3 wires per axis similar to a 3 position switch, however after watching a YouTube video on tear down, I see that the Mavic doesn't have these. So for you experts and modifiers out there, how is the signal sent from the sticks to the main controller board? Thanks a bunch!
    -CF

2. wowography

wowography Well-Known Member

It uses a magnet on the joystick and Hall effect sensors in the base to precisely measure its position.

3. MavicCF

So there would be no way to fool it then?

4. MavicCF

My original plan was, if it used the three wire system, I would just snip the connecting wires and solder the ones from the gaming joystick in to it, essentially just making a much larger version of what was already there. Is there any way to still accomplish this or should I scrap the idea?

5. Robert Mitchell

Robert Mitchell Well-Known Member

I’m guessing the signal outputs might be digital on the Mavic, as they are coming from magnetic sensors.

Good chance there is a different scheme on your replacement sticks. If so, you’d be out of luck.

You might want to do a bit more research before you snip anything. See what @Thunderdrones has to say.

I do like your mechanically adventurous attitude though!

#5 Robert Mitchell, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    MavicCF likes this.
  6. MavicCF

Yeah without actual wires to cut and re-wire I think I'll have to give it up. I'm going to try it on a inexpensive v911 instead as I've done something similar with a regular HobbyKing TX, and the idea just sounds so awesome that I can't resist :)! Thanks for your input though, you appear to be the voice of wisdoms and safety looking out for my poor Mavic;). -CF