DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now
Hi guys,

Recently I posted how big can you print out a photo from mavic pro 12mp, and I shown that was possible to get pretty good A3 sizes with good sharp under 30 cm far, which is amazing.
I got quite intrigued if would be possible to get bigger sizes, but you know, we run into technical issues like megapixels.

Now this process really works, but require some knowledge of Lightroom (LR) and Photoshop (PS).
I cant posting the photo so you can check yourselves (including metadata so you can see that is a Mavic pro file ) because the file is too big . but here is the link for download

name (1 of 1).jpg

First step : Mavic (probably works with spark also but I have to try)

Mode manual photo only (keep the ISO at 100 always, and try to bring the shutter speed as higher as possible to bring the sharpness at its limits) and choose one white balance (even if is wrong is ok)

Use raw not jpeg (in order to get the shadow/highlight recovery possible)

Mode of shooting sequence of 7(u can use aeb also but i recommend 7 to get better detail)

Shoot the same scene at the same spot 5 times (5 times x7 shots each =35 raw pictures)

In LR adjust shadow, highlight, distortion and sharpness of one of raw pictures and then sync with the other 34 photos. Adjustments should be equal to all photos.

Import to PS as layers . Align those layers (Edit- Auto Align Layers).
Convert in Smart Object
Then apply Stack Mode- Mean in the submenu Smart Objects.
Then Image-Image Size 200%

Close and save.
Bring back to LR and finalise changes.

Now its a long process, and may take a while because requires computer processing, but it works. Its not a gimmick, and a A1 size can be printed easily with tremendous sharpness.

Hope you like it :)

Way nice! One comment is the "ghost" bird flying between the steeples! Like that and show how precise your registration was. Now I think I might actually do the work with my Phantom 4 with it's 1" sensor. Should be great if I can do it. Thanks for the inspiration.

Reactions: strademarkworld
Just curious...why not create 35 copies of one shot and use that for the process?

Because they will be identical, and so combining them doesn't add any extra information. 35 slightly different shots, with non-integer pixel shifts, adds information.

Reactions: strademarkworld
Hi guys,

Recently I posted how big can you print out a photo from mavic pro 12mp, and I shown that was possible to get pretty good A3 sizes with good sharp under 30 cm far, which is amazing.
I got quite intrigued if would be possible to get bigger sizes, but you know, we run into technical issues like megapixels.

Now this process really works, but require some knowledge of Lightroom (LR) and Photoshop (PS).
I cant posting the photo so you can check yourselves (including metadata so you can see that is a Mavic pro file ) because the file is too big . but here is the link for download

name (1 of 1).jpg

Mode manual photo only (keep the ISO at 100 always, and try to bring the shutter speed as higher as possible to bring the sharpness at its limits) and choose one white balance (even if is wrong is ok)

Mode of shooting sequence of 7(u can use aeb also but i recommend 7 to get better detail)

Shoot the same scene at the same spot 5 times (5 times x7 shots each =35 raw pictures)

In LR adjust shadow, highlight, distortion and sharpness of one of raw pictures and then sync with the other 34 photos. Adjustments should be equal to all photos.

Convert in Smart Object

Close and save.

Now its a long process, and may take a while because requires computer processing, but it works. Its not a gimmick, and a A1 size can be printed easily with tremendous sharpness.

Ahead of your time!

Reactions: maverickau
Hi guys,

name (1 of 1).jpg

Convert in Smart Object

Close and save.

I have a question. Lately i have been taking still images with MP from 120 M with the object being the city skyline some 5 or 6 kms away. I noticed my images lack sharpness and look slightly out of focus especially when zooming in on a photo in post. I left a ND 4 filter on and shutter speed was approx 1/350 . Just wondering if the blur is from a too slow shutter speed? wind and vibration from the drone? should i take the ND filter off to increase shutter speed ? or use a CPL filter. I have the camera setting on +1 for sharpness. I am able to sharpen the image in post with photoshop but wish the original photo was sharper. I have noticed when taking photos at much closer range like 20-80Metres the image is sharper and more focused. Am i expecting too much from this little camera or is there something that can improve clarity/sharpness at long distance photos.Is it good to switch to tripod mode when up at 120 M before taking photos.?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett