DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Inexpensive Landing Pad

Folks...being a photographer, I have a lot of extra equipment laying around. It happens I had an old beaten up reflector (foldable). So I converted it to be a launching pad by using four binder clips with four fishing weights attached. I put a uni-directional pattern on the surface using black gorilla tape and, voila, my Mavic finds it perfectly.

I noticed that B&H has a flash sale (today - Sunday, 7/22 - only) on 32" reflectors (Link) for $20 which would work just fine. So for something like $25, you can have a great little portable landing pad with a bag.

Here are some photos of mine and the detail on the binder clip.
View attachment 42503 View attachment 42504

- Gary
Fishing weights and those clips are an awesome idea. I did the same and used tent stakes (what a pain). I'll do the same. Just had a crash using leg extenders, they broke the legs on impact. I'm going back to the reflector. It's are cheaper than the Helipads.

I bought one of these & we can use it for
multiple uses.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Small-Compact-Side-Table-Warm-Gray/46271784

a8821e62-8f54-4a92-8f75-01052e170e83_1.87a52cefbc511eb3386368db68337d64.jpeg

Attachments

• Mavic landing- 00001.jpg
    Mavic landing- 00001.jpg
    731.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Mavic landing- 00003.jpg
    Mavic landing- 00003.jpg
    706.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Mavic landing- 00004.jpg
    Mavic landing- 00004.jpg
    850 KB · Views: 34
I'm the same. Floor mat is heavy enough that it stays in place no matter how windy or downdraught. No pegs or weights required. It also rolls up easily enough to slide into my bag. But I don't tend to walk very far so others might find the extra weight annoying.

I have the same one and it works great, but a floor mat from my car works just as good in a pinch

Reactions: Tiago_Wolf
How about usingna landing pad created for drones instead of a light reflector. Hoodman USA makes a Mavic a Phantom and an inspired landing pad. They are extremely durable, they already are weighted and they don’t cost much, geez one for your Mavic will set you back about $40 bucks. Better that looking like an idiot when you come in for a landing and your reflector blows away lol. You just spent almost a $1000 bucks on your drone spend a little more on the right landing pad.

Folks...being a photographer, I have a lot of extra equipment laying around. It happens I had an old beaten up reflector (foldable). So I converted it to be a launching pad by using four binder clips with four fishing weights attached. I put a uni-directional pattern on the surface using black gorilla tape and, voila, my Mavic finds it perfectly.

I noticed that B&H has a flash sale (today - Sunday, 7/22 - only) on 32" reflectors (Link) for $20 which would work just fine. So for something like $25, you can have a great little portable landing pad with a bag.

Here are some photos of mine and the detail on the binder clip.
View attachment 42503 View attachment 42504

- Gary
Awesome idea to repurpose alternate gear. Thumbs up for the fishing weights. Much more versatile than the stakes.
Just a note of concern for any reflective surface which is either silver or gold or the silver sun shades which may throw off the downward VPS, similar to flying over water. Just don't want the AC freaking out while trying to land.

Awesome idea to repurpose alternate gear. Thumbs up for the fishing weights. Much more versatile than the stakes.
Just a note of concern for any reflective surface which is either silver or gold or the silver sun shades which may throw off the downward VPS, similar to flying over water. Just don't want the AC freaking out while trying to land.
Interesting point!
Luckily the reverse side of my sun shade is black, just flip it over...tada! :cool:

Haven't had that problem and I've used it in some pretty bright sunlight. HOWEVER...this is an OLD reflector and isn't so "reflective" anymore. I suppose you could easily fabricate a cloth (think old bed sheet) with the pattern on it. Something that will still allow the reflector to be folded.

I can't speak for the staked ones...but with a photo reflector (which are made with excellent materials), the binder clips and fishing weights, it goes nowhere. It would take a huge wind to budge this thing...more than you'd want to fly in!
Using fishing weights is a great idea!

That's the same one I bought, cost me less than £8 including free postage.
Brilliant robust piece of kit.

Very cool idea. I wonder if I could find a set of those fold-up windshield heat deflectors and do the same thing as I often am taking off and landing on beaches. Thanks for the mental stimulation. I too am a photographer but I do underwater stuff so we don't have reflectors.
"mental stimulation" lmao

PGYTECH makes this landing pad out of similar materials. They are 30", come in bright orange/blue (flip over to change the color), and have stakes to pin the landing pad to the ground if needed. At $14, it's another inexpensive landing pad option to consider.

View attachment 42505
I have one of these and it works very well. I use it all the time and it serves precision landing and to keep the sand and dirt from being kicked up when landing.

I got a private question regarding what I meant by "a Uni-Directional Pattern" on the face of the disk, so I figured I'd answer it generally. The pattern that I put on the pad can only be oriented in one direction. Unlike the "H" and circle, which could be viewed upside down without a difference, the triangle with one of its legs doubled removes any doubt as to orientation. I hoped this would make it even easier for the sensors to gain alignment on landing.
View attachment 42593
That certainly seems to make sense, (uni-directional), but I have been using the "H" in a circle pattern for some time, and the MA always lands in the same orientation that it took from.

PGYTECH makes this landing pad out of similar materials. They are 30", come in bright orange/blue (flip over to change the color), and have stakes to pin the landing pad to the ground if needed. At $14, it's another inexpensive landing pad option to consider.

View attachment 42505
better than that is the hoodman launch pad, which is weighted on the ends. i have had those cheap ones blow up from the prop wash when on an uneven surface. the hoodmans wont go anywhere.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allezzov