DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is there anything that will read the flight csv file from Mavic?

marklyn

Reactions
I've done a few missions where telemetry data was missing from a long flight where the drone disconnected from the controller (usually long, rural desolate areas). The telemetry data is missing from Litchi's csv but it appears to be embedded in the Mavic's .dat file but I can't find anything that will read/convert it to a viewable flight path.
DATCON does a great job of creating the kml file so I can view the flight path in Google Earth but the flight csv file it produces does not seem readable by anything I've tried so far (phantom help, flightreplay.com, airdata uav, etc.)
Does anyone know of any app/website that can read the flyxxx.csv file created from the .dat file and display it with telemetry info?

/crossposted on DJI's forum for different audience

Possibly with VLM, I did a tutorial on how I use VLM here:

Reactions: ksmusa
I've done a few missions where telemetry data was missing from a long flight where the drone disconnected from the controller (usually long, rural desolate areas). The telemetry data is missing from Litchi's csv but it appears to be embedded in the Mavic's .dat file but I can't find anything that will read/convert it to a viewable flight path.
DATCON does a great job of creating the kml file so I can view the flight path in Google Earth but the flight csv file it produces does not seem readable by anything I've tried so far (phantom help, flightreplay.com, airdata uav, etc.)
Does anyone know of any app/website that can read the flyxxx.csv file created from the .dat file and display it with telemetry info?

/crossposted on DJI's forum for different audience
I'm not sure what exactly you want to see, but you might try using CsvView (obtained here). CsvView will can accept a .csv created by DatCon, or it can accept the .DAT directly. You can create a SigPlayer with the telemetry data you want and then also create a GeoPlayer. The SigPlayer(s) and geoPlayer are time synchronized so that you can move the cursor through the SigPlayer and the GeoPlayer will move it's location appropriately.

Here's a YouTube I threw together. The SigPlayer (top) shows the control stick values. The rudder is moved to the right producing positive values for RC:rudder. The Mavic's responds with a CW rotation and is seen the GeoPlayer below.

Reactions: marklyn and Simmo
hrm. I had played around with csvView before but not to the extent that I really know and understand what I'm doing.
I basically have a litchi mission where I no longer have all of the waypoint altitudes for the mission but the flight path/gimbal pitch stayed the same.
I want to use the same mission but would like to get the original altitudes for each waypoint.
They're not in Airdata UAV because signal was lost from the RC for a long time.
The only place I know to look is the data that is extracted from the .dat file from the Mavic.
I know I can set the mission back up and choose altitudes that are safe but I'd like to know this anyway for other reasons.

hrm. I had played around with csvView before but not to the extent that I really know and understand what I'm doing.
I basically have a litchi mission where I no longer have all of the waypoint altitudes for the mission but the flight path/gimbal pitch stayed the same.
I want to use the same mission but would like to get the original altitudes for each waypoint.
They're not in Airdata UAV because signal was lost from the RC for a long time.
The only place I know to look is the data that is extracted from the .dat file from the Mavic.
I know I can set the mission back up and choose altitudes that are safe but I'd like to know this anyway for other reasons.

It's a CSV file. You can open it in any text editor or, more usefully, Excel or any other spreadsheet program. Any of those approaches will allow you to see and extract any of the data fields that you need.

Again. Guess I'm not clear. Sorry.
I *know* it is a csv file. I've worked with many csv files in my previous working life.
I am trying to find an app/website that will read the csv file produced by BudWalker's datcon app and show me visual flight plan, maybe in GE, maybe something someone coded in/on a website.
Since my drone lost signal with the RC for quite a few minutes, the only place that the flight data might be is in the .dat file which I pull from the Mavic and use datcon to extract the flight csv file.
I'm not finding (obvious) altitude info in the data yet but there is so much of it to parse through. I started this question in the hopes something was already out there that can easily read the extracted files from the dat file to let me find the mission waypoint data (altitude, speed, gimbal pitch, etc.).
I'm now looking at CsvView as per BudWalker's suggestion but I'm going to have to read up and play around with it to see if this will get me where I want to go.

I don't think it's going to work. Even when I looked at the raw data I could never find any altitude fields (that made sense to me). I played around with csvview, which shows me the same files in the pick view lists but, again nothing for altitude. Other things of some value are in the file (gimbal pitch, battery stuff, yaw/pitch, sat counts, etc.)
I guess I was hoping for a way to have a "backup" of the flight parameters that you normally see in the .txt file that DJI Go produces and the .csv file that Litchi produces.
In situations where you lose signal for periods of time with the RC, that data is missing.
I know the .dat files on the Mavic were probably never intended by DJI for consumer use; however, they're there and people obviously know about them.

Try Racerender. RaceRender by HP Tuners | Video+Data Products
You should be able to import your .csv telemetry data along (if you wish) with the associated footage.
After RR processed both the footage and telemetry you can view the flight with all selected telemetry data on your PC.

I have the full version of RaceRender. But, if you use RR then you know when you use a data file that it's not always obvious what fields are what. I have scoured every field that I can hoping that I could make sense of either two fields that (under a calculation) would give me altitude (for example). If you looked at the headers in the csv file you'd understand what I mean, they're just not intuitive and I don't think they're meant to be.

I don't think it's going to work. Even when I looked at the raw data I could never find any altitude fields (that made sense to me). I played around with csvview, which shows me the same files in the pick view lists but, again nothing for altitude. Other things of some value are in the file (gimbal pitch, battery stuff, yaw/pitch, sat counts, etc.)
I guess I was hoping for a way to have a "backup" of the flight parameters that you normally see in the .txt file that DJI Go produces and the .csv file that Litchi produces.
In situations where you lose signal for periods of time with the RC, that data is missing.
I know the .dat files on the Mavic were probably never intended by DJI for consumer use; however, they're there and people obviously know about them.

Altitude is in there. Under engineered fields "General:relativeHeight" is the altitude in meters above takeoff. I'm not sure why you are not seeing the data.

sar104, I don't think I said I can't see the data, more of I didn't understand all of the data. Yes, I saw altitude (in several field headings) but didn't realize it was meters until you mentioned it for field "General:relativeHeight". Ultimately I want to use the data in Race Render to display altitude, speed, gimbal pitch, compass heading and the flight track.
It's late. I'm tired so I'll go to bed and dream of this.

Ultimately I want to use the data in Race Render to display altitude, speed, gimbal pitch, compass heading and the flight track.
That's what i am doing with the telemetry:
RR_DroneTelemetry.JPG

Reactions: BudWalker
sar104, I don't think I said I can't see the data, more of I didn't understand all of the data. Yes, I saw altitude (in several field headings) but didn't realize it was meters until you mentioned it for field "General:relativeHeight". Ultimately I want to use the data in Race Render to display altitude, speed, gimbal pitch, compass heading and the flight track.

Sorry - in post #6 you said that you could not find any altitude data. I guess I'm not helping.

maybe this will help.
V3 .CSV column descriptions

I think Keule is doing exactly what I'm wanting to do (see three posts above), by using the flyxxx.csv file. I've pm'd him so crossing my fingers that he's using the file produced by datcon from the Mavic.

I've done a lot of reading and playing around with the data fields from the Mavic's raw csv data file and got most of the fields I want showing up on my video (except gimbal pitch!?!).
Now I'm asking for anyone who has already created a RaceRender template using Mavic's csv data, I'd really appreciate a copy. I did get one template from Keule (thanks!) but if anyone else has one they are willing to share, please pm me! Thanks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada