DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is what DJI does with the Mavic legal?

Im done with DJI's SW/FW updates my drone is fine just the way it is.
Same goes for me, everything is now working fine again since my last forced app upgrade in late March.

I had to purchase a new iPad to satisfy the demands of that update as tablet & phone were no longer on the supported list and no fair warning of the redundancies being forced on me at the worst time and in the worst place.

That update also caused a domino effect with my other DJI products where I then had to update the FW on all the other quads to ensure full compatibility with the updated app. BTW, they branched off with the software and I now need 2 Go apps on my iPad. I suspect the Software developers and Hardware engineers have lunch at different times because it seems they never talk to each other!

Just because something is legal doesn't make it morally right and furthermore the changes to the SW/FW should be clearly stated so if I have to agree to the new EULA, then at least I have a chance to understand what SW/FW changes I am agreeing to. What DJI is doing is making invisible changes then requesting you agree to something blindly without understanding what you are agreeing to. This is ethically and morally questionable behaviour but is probably still legal!

Here is an example, DJI release new upgrade and the only vague change log is "Fixed gimbal issue" and suddenly the forums light up with a raft of new problems unrelated to the gimbal and another upgrade is forthcoming a week later to address the new issues.

No thank you, not this little black duck. I have jumped off the upgrade treadmill and will continue enjoying flying with my current setup.

Same goes for me, everything is now working fine again since my last forced app upgrade in late March.

I had to purchase a new iPad to satisfy the demands of that update as tablet & phone were no longer on the supported list and no fair warning of the redundancies being forced on me at the worst time and in the worst place.

That update also caused a domino effect with my other DJI products where I then had to update the FW on all the other quads to ensure full compatibility with the updated app. BTW, they branched off with the software and I now need 2 Go apps on my iPad. I suspect the Software developers and Hardware engineers have lunch at different times because it seems they never talk to each other!

Just because something is legal doesn't make it morally right and furthermore the changes to the SW/FW should be clearly stated so if I have to agree to the new EULA, then at least I have a chance to understand what SW/FW changes I am agreeing to. What DJI is doing is making invisible changes then requesting you agree to something blindly without understanding what you are agreeing to. This is ethically and morally questionable behaviour but is probably still legal!

Here is an example, DJI release new upgrade and the only vague change log is "Fixed gimbal issue" and suddenly the forums light up with a raft of new problems unrelated to the gimbal and another upgrade is forthcoming a week later to address the new issues.

No thank you, not this little black duck. I have jumped off the upgrade treadmill and will continue enjoying flying with my current setup.
I'm with you "Reckless" enough is enough my Yuncee is on the way

Are you surprised ????????? lolllllllllllll

LOL, cheers SkunkWerx Thumbswayup
Most likely perfectly legal and the joy these frequent updates bring with them is outstanding and always keeps the many DJI customers happy.

the thing that amazes me most is - the large number of sheeple in these threads apologizing for a private (govt. owned) company changing the rules after the game starts. the often used automobile analogy is the best. if your nissan altima suddenly received a firmware update only allowing you to go 50 miles from home at 45 mph because nissan felt this was "safe" and in the "public interest", would you shrug your shoulders and say, "well, nissan knows best, i'll just deal with it."?

i was trying really hard to not use "idiots" or "********"

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Forrest
As far a legality goes, you own the drone hardware, but you license the software. They can do whatever they'd like, within the bounds of legality, of course.

Your options are to live with it or take your money elsewhere.

Everyone agreed to the T&Cs before operating so cant see why people are complaining. What DJI do is completely legal.
Also no update with the mavic is forced just as buying a mavic isn't forced.

I left DJI over this. Will never buy another DJI product - ever. Great product but horrible company in every other way. The overbearing control will do this company in over the next two years as other products catch up. They have released the MVic platinum calling it a new product. It's really the end of beta testing. Never in my life has a company left such a bad taste in my mouth. Sorry I ever recommended them to friends - they all complain to me now.

Everyone agreed to the T&Cs before operating so cant see why people are complaining. What DJI do is completely legal.
Also no update with the mavic is forced just as buying a mavic isn't forced.

Your right, they can do anything they want with the App software but they cannot do anything to the Hardware Aka the drones hardware that will make it less useful or removes features that were there at the time of purchase. Many new owners either forget or don't know that DJI advertised the Mavic as being able to fly without a phone/tablet connected when it was first sold.

"Also no update with the mavic is forced just as buying a mavic isn't forced"

Have seen what just happened with the Spark?

If your impatient go to the 7:50 Mark.

Rob

Last edited:
Many new owners either forget or don't know that DJI advertised the Mavic as being able to fly without a phone/tablet connected when it was first sold.

??????

I fly without just the remote all the time. No phone, no tablet, no problem!

They are a Chinese company doing business in America, that makes them somewhat lawsuit proof.

That being said, DJI has the right to modify their software as they see fit. This can be proven in a few ways but the first way, and most important in my opinion, would be the fact they already did and nobody did anything about it.

I expect this exact issue - forcing software upgrades on your customers - is one that will be litigated to a specific conclusion over the next 10-20 years. The new issue (as companies already have a legal right to modify their software due to the TOS) being the forced upgrade where the company would literally disable your hardware if you don't do it. I don't believe there has been a large lawsuit in relation to that as of well, including with the Samsung fiasco.

??????

I fly without just the remote all the time. No phone, no tablet, no problem!

Yes so I am saying that if they release a firmware update or an App update that messes with the firmware and prevents the drone from performing the way it performed when you purchased it, they are open to a class action lawsuit.

To clarify. If you use the App and they add a new NFZ system that restricts you from flying the way you did before then there is not much that can be done. On the other hand if that same app cripples the drone from flying normally even when your flying without the phone or tablet that's the point when they are vulnerable to legal action.

Rob

They are a Chinese company doing business in America, that makes them somewhat lawsuit proof.

NO!
DJI is vulnerable to lawsuits because they have business holdings in the united states.

Rob

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851