DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just grabbed a costco mini 2 bundle out of the box update everything or

Yes now is the time to go for broke, as you can always take it back , so the quicker you get up to speed the better.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water

Reactions: Chaosrider
Yeah costco said 90 days can get a refund which is so different than Best Buy … 30 days unopened .. so ud say update everything … I just don’t want some stupid firmware update to cause a malfunction in the air my mini one was absolutely flawless from the first time I launched and still is

I’ve seen alot of chatter about the recent firmware causing problems that’s why I asked you guys have always been the source I trust.. alot of hoopblah around

… with the original out of box are there any issues or reasons not to fly as is.. im itching to fly it but if course I got it and it has been raining so tomorrow will be first launch. Also plan to use litichi and drone link for some stuff

DO NOT UPDATE to 01.04.0000. There seems to be too many problems. Stay with 01.03.0500.

Reactions: Jam0ne and cc_jim
I’ve seen alot of chatter about the recent firmware causing problems that’s why I asked you guys have always been the source I trust.. alot of hoopblah around

… with the original out of box are there any issues or reasons not to fly as is.. im itching to fly it but if course I got it and it has been raining so tomorrow will be first launch. Also plan to use litichi and drone link for some stuff
I'm flying a Mini 2 with all the latest Fly app and firmware updates. I've not absolutely no problems with it. (I put nearly an hour of time on it yesterday and the day before.) I've seen no problems with it using Litchi either, though not with the most recent firmware update.

What issues are you reading about?

I think fear of firmware updates is one of those overblown things that gets talked about on forums like this. I recall few instances where there was a significant problem with a firmware update and only one of any real problem of any consequence - the Mavic 3 GPS fix acquisition time delay experienced by some users.

For those who tinker with modifying the drone's operating code, DJI has made such modifications impossible with firmware changes, causing some to revert to an earlier firmware without the limitation. But few of us do those sorts of mods, so we're not affected.

Usually you cannot be picky about which firmware gets installed from the app, its the latest or nothing.. So if the drone you bought has an older version than one thinks they prefer, which may not work well with the version of the Fly App you may install, which again, you may not have a choice which version. Its just best to go with the latest updates..

Sure, you can, if you have an Android device, side-load different versions of Fly, (Not possible on an IOS device) or you can use DJI Assistant to install a different firmware version if you can download the version you think you want.. but updates usually fix things you may not be paying attention to, or provide new features that you may want to use.

Generally, as MS Coast noted, many issues are overblown and if there was a truly serious error, DJI has been pretty quick to release updates when and if that happens.

Why not just fly the thing and see how it does?
I always laugh when I see stuff like post number three.
The best place to hide bugs is the same slot the firmware goes!

Reactions: Faster
Why not just fly the thing and see how it does?
I always laugh when I see stuff like post number three.
The best place to hide bugs is the same slot the firmware goes!
I agree with you Starz…If it flies just fine without updating go for it…don’t panic 😱. Personally, both my A2S and Mini2 firmware are up to date and I have had no issues with many hours logged. if the firmware is “buggy”, then send data log to DJI to confirm. I have not heard of a ‘brand new, out of box’ flying problem…yet. Even though DJI performs flight tests before packaging…I’m sure the odd one sneaks by QC with a black eye.

Smooth takeoffs and fun flying 👍

Last edited:
You're suggesting that firmware updates should be avoided?
Simple answer, no.
Research is best prior to clicking the suggested button.
Release notes can provide some insight into what is included, but, there are no rules to inform you of other inclusions that may not be desirable.
The real question is what’s at risk. A once flyable drone that you’re happy with or one that used to be.
The choice is yours.

its always interesting when people say, don't do this update or that update, because I saw this or that.. then in some, if not all cases, someone else comes along and say, they never had a problem.. works fine for me.. and thats followed up by other people saying the same.

The question then becomes of course, who's right? It's hard, if not impossible to install the firmware or software wrong, since the install probably does some check to make sure it installed correctly or it would fail. So why do some people see issues and others do not, guess that maybe one of the mysteries of Drone life...

Its up to the individual pilot as to whether to install the latest and greatest, does if fix something serious that you never ran into, does it add new features and will you care one way or another if you don't have them. its up to you..

Personally I've always updated my Air 2, in most cases not instantly because of where I live, the winter climate does not make for good flying.. So it can depend when a release comes out as to how fast I might update.. But I've never really had any issues with any update... Or perhaps I missed them if there were a couple updates in quick succession to actually fix a problem.

DO NOT UPDATE to 01.04.0000. There seems to be too many problems. Stay with 01.03.0500.
I must respectfully disagree.

Update everything. I did have an update issue once with one of my Mini-2s (I have three of them), but on balance your best bet is to keep everything current, always. Certainty isn't an option, but that's your best bet.

IMNSHO

Reactions: MS Coast
THIS ^^^^^

You WILL receive many "RC NOT CONNECTED" or such warning, you losing control of your aircraft... interrupting your flights....

I've been running 1.04.0000 since it was released with no issues. Saying that it WILL cause problems isn't appropriate. Yes, I've seen reports that 1.04.0000 causes problems, but it's not a universal problem and it doesn't seem to be too widespread.

Simple answer, no.
Research is best prior to clicking the suggested button.
Release notes can provide some insight into what is included, but, there are no rules to inform you of other inclusions that may not be desirable.
The real question is what’s at risk. A once flyable drone that you’re happy with or one that used to be.
The choice is yours.
Risk analysis is the right approach, but all choices have risks. A firmware update may well fix something you haven't even seen yet, and hence, fix a risk you didn't even know existed, and never will, if you keep it updated.

From a betting standpoint (and I do live in Nevada!), DJI is the better bet for knowing the right configuration, compared to field pontificators...

;-)

Reactions: YVRGUY and MS Coast
I've been running 1.04.0000 since it was released with no issues. Saying that it WILL cause problems isn't appropriate. Yes, I've seen reports that 1.04.0000 causes problems, but it's not a universal problem and it doesn't seem to be too widespread.
This is what I was referring to in my previous post which you may not have spotted ? Why is it that things work fine for you, and not someone else? You would think that all things being equal other than the pilot, every drone should act the same in response to identical software.

Reactions: Jam0ne
The question then becomes of course, who's right? It's hard, if not impossible to install the firmware or software wrong, since the install probably does some check to make sure it installed correctly or it would fail. So why do some people see issues and others do not, guess that maybe one of the mysteries of Drone life...
The only time I had a problem with a firmware update, the dreaded Min-2 "Refusal to Climb" problem, I finally concluded that the most likely cause was a failure in the update process, which did seem to be a little rocky. The problem went away after the next update.

Updates can take along time, sometimes as much as half an hour, so don't let that spook you.

I recommend getting DJI Care Refresh for your new Mini-2, if you haven't already.

Reactions: MS Coast

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dseyna