DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost drone after 3 days..

Reactions
Hey Guys,

So i've recently lost my drone after only flying it for 3 days. I've checked the gps coordinates and the spot where it lost signal. but i cant find it.

I was going to record some evening shots of the city, and when i was on my way back home with the drone, first my iphone shut off, because of the cold weather, so the gps location stoped after 19% battery on the drone. then around10% i think it autolanded. But now anywhere near the last gps coordinate obviously..=(

looked all night and 2 hours this morning, no where to be found. Do you guys think it landed on some rooftop or something? Any other tips to where to find it?

here is the flight log-picture

Attachments

• IMG_8150.PNG
    IMG_8150.PNG
    323.4 KB · Views: 466
Reactions: Former Member
I was wrong, your drone was 570m away. I guess it would be a straight line towards home, and it landed around 1/2 way in between. I guess someone with a better tool might be able to pin point a better location.
Did you stick a label with your name and number on your drone just?

just woke up good morning. have you tried the find my drone feature?

Sorry for your loss... your altitude readouts are quite high.. beyond 600 feet... I don't know what the rules are in Denmark, but in the US you would be illegal. Regardless of the laws, a lot of battery was used getting to that altitude, and for a third flight I think it was way too ambitious. Hope you find it, and learn some lessons. Slow and steady is surely the way to learn to fly. Hope you find it.

Reactions: Cut.Aussie
yes, it was indeed to high. do you think it have landed on a rooftoop? is that common? or do the mavic usually land on the ground? yes i have went to the find my drone location, but i cant find it anywhere near this location.. maybe it drifted more after the gps signal was lost due to my phone battery died..

I took the liberty of looking up the drone rules in Denmark. There's a 120 meter limit to altitude, no flying over populated areas without a permit, and no night flying without a commercial license.

If your phone died, well, that's where the telemetry goes, so the drone could be anywhere on that line of travel back to you.... also note that drone batteries, like cellphone batteries, don't last as long in cold weather as they do in moderate temperatures.

Hope you find it, but lots of rules appear to have been broken on this flight, and that's why you have an unhappy ending.. at least so far.

Reactions: garethshaw
it is what it is. i know i ****** up. learnt my lesson. now i just want to try to get my drone back
Hate you had this happen but please lets not just join and get to snippy with ones trying to help you . I hope you find it and welcome to the forum .
And guy's lets go easy on the scolding .

did you execute a rth after your phone turned off? I usually get back to my home with about 30% battery. there's a leaning curve associated with flying drones. the less time you flown the more likely you are to crash/lose it. I lost mine by doing something stupid after 6 months of flying.

yes i rth after my phone went off. i usually do that when i lost sight of my drone and have no display to monitor either, but it didnt helt this time. i think the wind was pretty rough when it turned back home, and then it drained the battery faster than i expected

Reactions: DinoYYC
yes i rth after my phone went off. i usually do that when i lost sight of my drone and have no display to monitor either, but it didnt helt this time. i think the wind was pretty rough when it turned back home, and then it drained the battery faster than i expected

It was never going to make it back into that wind - over 30 mph out of the SW.

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Reactions: Brandaloo
Got me thinking:

I blame DJI for positioning their technology to people who never had a clue what they were getting into.

Flying while totally depending on a piece of program that some DJI coder wrote is actually only safe for experienced pilots. They usually know when to use the autonomy and when not. And when and how to switch out of it and take back control. In fact, staying in control all the way, even when the drone is in a form of autonomy. Unless a control signal loss happens (which is not the case here).

That said, I'm afraid here we have another case of blind trust in the 'intelligence' of the Mavic. It is not entirely the OP's fault to expect that it should have just come back. DJI makes first time buyers think that nothing can go wrong. However, obstacle avoidance, landing protection, active track, precision landing, RTH, coincidently all happen to be the main reason for things to go wrong, because they are not understood or are used wrongly or in a situation where experienced pilots would never use them at all.

With the Mavic Air things will only get worse. Fortunately, they are light weight so don't pose too much of a hazard for people, animals, traffic in/under the flight path. Consider an Inspire (or bigger), uncontrolled above a populated area. That could be a potential disaster (low battery landing on a busy highway, it happened). However, I already encountered Spark and Mavic users who got themselves a second hand I1, expecting it to be the same kind of video game experience, taking it to the limits from day one.

I blame DJI

I blame McDonalds for making their fries taste so good.
I blame Tom Cruise for making dangerous stunts look too easy.
I blame Coke for not telling us that sugar is bad for our teeth.
I blame Apple for making technology seem too smart.
I blame James Bond for making drinking look cool.

How 'bout we stop looking for someone to blame and be accountable for our own lack of intelligence?

Should DJI put a disclaimer on all their drones that says: "YOU CAN EASILY CRASH THIS OR LOSE THIS!" ?
Then they'd get sued or "blamed" because they didn't put the disclaimer in EVERY language.

I blame McDonalds for making their fries taste so good.
I blame Tom Cruise for making dangerous stunts look too easy.
I blame Coke for not telling us that sugar is bad for our teeth.
I blame Apple for making technology seem too smart.
I blame James Bond for making drinking look cool.

How 'bout we stop looking for someone to blame and be accountable for our own lack of intelligence?

Should DJI put a disclaimer on all their drones that says: "YOU CAN EASILY CRASH THIS OR LOSE THIS!" ?
Then they'd get sued or "blamed" because they didn't put the disclaimer in EVERY language.
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you that it is everyones responsibility to be responsible no matter what is advertised.

Reactions: mollyg and WAXMAN
Guys, i dont blame anyone but myself here, if that wasnt clear. of course it was stupid and i should not have got the drone at that high altitude. I just wonder if you experienced fellas have any time to get the drone back? more than the "find my drone" app, that i have already used. Now i have put up some "drone missing" posters in the area that i flew. In hope that someone have seen it and will give me a call. I've already searched around the area for several hours and talked to people. so i dont know what els i can do? any tips?
thanks guys!

Reactions: Maverick_5
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000