DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 battery popped out destroyed drone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 3rd battery of the 3 that were manufactured around 7-2018 is really swollen after 100 fights.M2P.

I discard swollen batteries but with the good batteries I use a velcro strap to secure it to the body.am I fooling myself or is that helpful?

Where did you get the Velcro strap? I have been wondering if there was some kind of a band to keep the batteries in. Mine is completely latched in when lifting but when it lands, I noticed it sticks out a little bit, but I don’t see any signs of swelling on the batteries itself so it is still latched in. I’m somewhat mixed on how to deal with this. Is putting the Velcro strap around the battery of the drone a safe thing to do?

Last edited:
Where did you get the Velcro strap? I have been wondering if there was some kind of a band to keep the batteries in. Mine is completely latched in when lifting but when it lands, I noticed it sticks out a little bit, but I don’t see any signs of swelling on the batteries itself so it is still latched in. I’m somewhat mixed on how to deal with this. Is putting the Velcro strap around the battery of the drone a safe thing to do?
I got this assorted pack from Amazon.I trimmed the ones that fit to be narrower so as not to block bottom sensor or compress battery clips.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpeg
    Untitled.jpeg
    763.7 KB · Views: 34
After a flight with an aging battery it is a good practice to place them on a perfectly flat surface and see if they will rock back and forth. They shouldn't. If they do, they are puffed and you are flying on borrowed time before a failure, especially if you are pushing them hard (causing a cell to fail mid-flight). Ask me how I know! I get it. Batteries are not cheap. Drones are even more expensive though, and it's not worth the risk. Dispose of the battery properly and replace it, and do NOT use it anymore.

Hi, I thought I should share my battery pop out experience, so it doesn't happen to you.

I did a routine flight with my m2z with the original battery two years old. The battery popped out when I went into sports mode and increased the speed.

Hindsight is 20/20 and I shouldn't have used the battery because I did notice it was swollen. It still fit securely, but proved not to be safe.

The full story is here:

You answered your own question in the last statement " shouldn't have used that battery".

Yeah, but a little more help from DJI would have been appreciated. After all the batteries shouldn't be set up to do this. They could have been deigned with more safety and cooling features built into them, instead of this planned obsolescence that can kill someone. DJI should make better, safer, securer, cooler batteries. They are expensive. Sports mode shouldn't heat the battery up so that it flies off!

Yeah, but a little more help from DJI would have been appreciated. After all the batteries shouldn't be set up to do this. They could have been deigned with more safety and cooling features built into them, instead of this planned obsolescence that can kill someone. DJI should make better, safer, securer, cooler batteries. They are expensive. Sports mode shouldn't heat the battery up so that it flies off!

It's not planned obsolescence - it's the physical reality of LiPo battery technology. Heating in sport mode is not the primary cause of the problem.

Please, look at photo of the difference between the mavic battery and the mavic 2 battery. What happened to the cooling space that was originally there? Go argue with some1 else.

Please, look at photo of the difference between the mavic battery and the mavic 2 battery. What happened to the cooling space that was originally there? Go argue with some1 else.

That space was enclosed, and so not useful for cooling. And if you don't want comments then simply don't post.

Guys let’s step back..take a breath..and not let this get argumentative..
Thanks.

( Mod removed inappropriate comment )

Last edited by a moderator:
And with that there is no need in this continuing

CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads