DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 battery popped out destroyed drone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I discard swollen batteries but with the good batteries I use a velcro strap to secure it to the body.am I fooling myself or is that helpful?

It may well help prevent a disconnect if the deformation is not too large, but still large enough to pop the clips.

Reactions: offtheback
Evo has a secured battery to help stop disconnects. That right there is a huge plus. Even though it is my fault, the mavic should have better security on the battery. That is a fact. My car's gas tank doesn't fly off if I forget to put the gas cap back on. Better put:

There should be more safety measures to keep the Mavic battery connected to the drone in case there is swelling in the battery. It shouldn't come off that easy.

This battery problem is more and more recurrent! I noticed that my first battery tended to come off a few weeks ago ... Since then, I only use it with a velcro fastener for fear that it will come off in flight ...
I am having the same problems with my M2P batteries, time for some new batteries.

My Question is.... How obvious was the swelling? In the event, one of anyone else's actually do it?
Is it something you saw right off the get go, and stood out like a sore thumb? or, more like you would have to compare it to other batteries you have to see if it looked different from the rest?

In my one experience with battery swelling I had checked with visual and flat surface which is part of my preflight routine. Had fully charged the battery within 4 hours of the flight. I took off and at about 20-30 seconds in the air got a low battery warning and my CS said 10% battery. Fortunately I was able to return to my home point and land. I immediately removed the battery and it was bulged slightly. So there may not be any abnormality preflight.

I use a technique where I place the battery on a flat surface and see if it rocks back and forth indicative of any swelling. I do this before each flight but more importantly immediately after a flight when the battery is still warm when the swelling should be more pronounced. I have already detected one out of my 3 batteries with swelling this way and took it out of service.

I would characterize my swelling on the battery as noticeable to the eye. I should have tossed it.:(

I have three more newer batteries that look perfect! I could kick myself.

I’m curious, those that have batteries swelling, are you using sport mode a lot or is there some other defects that are happening? I fly a lot of electric planes and if I fly them hard my batteries get over heated and sometimes swell . Maybe DJI could use better materials in there batteries to make c ratings higher.

I would be cautious about using a swollen battery even strapped in. Changes in the physical dimensions as the battery swells, may not cause it to pop out but may have unexpected consequences with the way the battery mates with the drone connector. Reliable connector pairs are surprisingly difficult to achieve.

Reactions: Gindra
I am more curious why people are not irritated about the fact that the batteries are swelling I still have six mavic Pro batteries that are all fine and have well over a hundred flights each however my mavic 2 pro has gone through for batteries that have swollen to the point where it was dangerous to mount them on to the bird. So far it seems that around 80 flights is when I'm noticing puffing on my batteries. That seems like a fairly expensive ratio of flying versus life of battery.

I use a technique where I place the battery on a flat surface and see if it rocks back and forth indicative of any swelling. I do this before each flight but more importantly immediately after a flight when the battery is still warm when the swelling should be more pronounced. I have already detected one out of my 3 batteries with swelling this way and took it out of service.
Perfect solution.I use it.Found that eyeballing the battery was hit or miss.

Reactions: Camino Ken
I use sport mode almost every time I fly for about 50% of the battery. My whole thinking was I would fly the drone as much as possible, as fast as possible, so that I would always have batteries freshly charged when needed. I used the 10 day discharge on all my batteries. I flew at least once a week, but sometimes I would fly a lot more and use all my batteries in one day at different locations in that day. I used it for fun, weddings, and realty. I hope that all made sense.:)

The lithium battery technology is not quite there yet. American Airlines had big problems with them catching fire in the air, and most can remember various phones and laptops that caught fire.

I use sport mode almost every time I fly for about 50% of the battery. My whole thinking was I would fly the drone as much as possible, as fast as possible, so that I would always have batteries freshly charged when needed. I used the 10 day discharge on all my batteries. I flew at least once a week, but sometimes I would fly a lot more and use all my batteries in one day at different locations in that day. I used it for fun, weddings, and realty. I hope that all made sense.:)
I wouldn't be so hard on yourself. This totally seems like a Bad design flaw or brilliance on DJIs part. Looking at the bottom of the battery it is totally and completely flush mounted to the internal surface of the mavic Pro 2. There is absolutely no room for expansion or contraction of the battery. Also looking at the battery there is no room for expansion or contraction when the battery heats and or cools. I've seen other articles related to this and apparently inside the battery there is some space in that so why is battery puffing this Much?
and to go even one step further the clip that the battery uses to stay attached to the mavic pro 2 is flimsy at best. I can take a non swollen battery a little torque on the twisting of the body and it will unclip. So again I'm curious as to why nobody else is irritated by this.
Just wanted to add my two cents I think it's ridiculously expensive just keep replacing these batteries like this even though they seem to function just fine.

I would characterize my swelling on the battery as noticeable to the eye. I should have tossed it.:(

No need to toss it, you can use it for ground work, like checking / changing settings pre flight, using the drone as a hand held gimbal shooting ground video, downloading pics / vid using wifi after flight, etc.

I use sport mode almost every time I fly for about 50% of the battery.

That will certainly cause more heat and perhaps swell a battery more.

I've never had (or noticed) any swelling in my M1P batteries (6), and what I do is check them as they come off the charger, while still warm from charging, and check them again for swelling after flight when removing to change a battery.
They are warm at these times, and should be at their most swollen, if they are a problem, they should show it at those times.

Checking them cold isn't going to reliably find a problem that can exist in flight or after charging.

Reactions: Gindra
there have been several threads on the M2P batteries swelling issues,i do not have a M2P and was not aware that the bottom of the battery was different to the ones in my MPP
they have a frame under the battery case around the edge so even if the battery swelled very slightly during flight there is some space to accommodate that swelling,
that does seem a retrograde step in the battery case design,maybe due to it being a 4 cell as apposed to the MPP being a three cell

Reactions: gspell
there have been several threads on the M2P batteries swelling issues,i do not have a M2P and was not aware that the bottom of the battery was different to the ones in my MPP
they have a frame under the battery case around the edge so even if the battery swelled very slightly during flight there is some space to accommodate that swelling,
that does seem a retrograde step in the battery case design,maybe due to it being a 4 cell as apposed to the MPP being a three cell

IMG_3158.jpg

I was about to ask, how did you treat your batteries. Then I read, they are 2 years old. I think at this point it's OK for Lipos to start swelling, even if you treat them the right way.
Glad you didn't hurt anyone

Reactions: EyeFlightDrone
The classic battle of the engineers. One was tasked with making it ergonomic. Another with extending operation time/performance. I guess this was their compromise... ;>)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potenthockey0