DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air - what color and why

The best is the red color. In the air, colors make no difference, but wait till your drone force land or crashes somewhere and you go looking, the red is the easiest to spot by far
I've found some very nice vinyl wraps (skins) in some very bright colors.

One thing that I recently tried was to apply red "chrome" wrap to my landing gear extensions; it doesn't so much stand out as a color, but when sunlight reflects from it, you can't miss the red flash. These extensions are complex shapes (as opposed to a single flat surface) with many flat surfaces from which to get solar reflections. You also have reflections from the flashing Firehouse strobes attached to the bottom of the drone, between the extensions.

It’s really personal preference and has no bearing on performance or how the bird flies. Colour has an aesthetic value without doubt but as long as the drone is sitting on your table or the ground prior to take-off. Once up in the air, it makes no difference cause red, white or black you only see the under-belly which looks the same on all.
Unless one is really picky on what the birds in the sky think about the colour. :p

I got red because it's my favourite colour, I'm a United fan, and it should be easier to find if it comes down somewhere and I have to go hunting for it.

I didn’t particularly care as I plan to wrap it, but ended up w/ red. It was the better deal @ B&H before Christmas. I couldn’t pass it up!

I wanted a yellow one because it would be better underwater. ..I couldn't find a yellow one.

Reactions: gspfunk
I bought my first drone today. A Mavic Air, Fly More Bundle. I opted for the Onyx Black, because Bestbuy has them priced $100 cheaper then the White and $95 cheaper then the Red. I bought a 128gb Memory card and still saved $50. I plan on adding a bright colored skin to it in the near future...

I've chosen Onyx Black and I love it!

Reactions: zenfly2
I went with red for visibility. I wanted a white one with a bright green skin but if it went down in the trees I would never find it.
So I added this little decal and call it my "Predator Drone"

Attachments

• 20190910_212321.jpg
    20190910_212321.jpg
    548.5 KB · Views: 38
1712c0d9e53fe1649528438dd24481ec.jpg

On my Miata which flies but lower to the ground.

I wanted red but it seems hard to find in Canada. Even the DJI site doesn’t have them in stock. Went with black from Best Buy and happy with it. The black makes it less toyish I think.

My first thought was to get the red, but Best Buy doesn't have any available, as of today. My main reason was because it's the most visible color (easiest to see).

Now I'm thinking about the white, since white on black is high contrast.

Most recently, I thought about putting hi-viz decals/skins on a white MA. Does anybody have experience with these? I saw some red reflective 3M tape, and fluorescent color tape. I was thinking to put shapes like stars or circles on the sides of the front landing gear (antenna), and some kind of shapes on the top, and the battery (bottom).

Comments???
I wanted a white one but could only find a red one in stock. One I got it I modified it with a skin. I own a decal and sign business so I made some 2 color glow in the dark skins that are easy to see in the day or night.

Reactions: dougiefresh27
I wanted a white one but could only find a red one in stock. One I got it I modified it with a skin. I own a decal and sign business so I made some 2 color glow in the dark skins that are easy to see in the day or night.
I've been flying a black MA for a year. When at a distance approaching the limits of VLOS, the skin colour doesn't much matter. I thought red originally but the red does not extend to the bottom of the drone which is what you're going to see when it's over your head. I'd really be interested in seeing what your skin looks like. Like many have said, the sound of the drone is often most useful in locating it.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929