DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air - what color and why

With decal girl you can design a custom skin using one your photos. Pretty cool. I wish they would sell individual pieces instead of the whole kit. I just want to wrap the body.

some of the wrap kits I've seen wrap the battery too. You could grab whatever color is in stock and order a $15 wrap kit or wrap the batteries.
We offer such kits!!!

Attachments

• Mavic AIR Instagram Ads 2018.jpg.jpeg
    Mavic AIR Instagram Ads 2018.jpg.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 56
I'm still the "as sold" black/dark grey Mavic Pro, but have thought of getting a coloured skin.

The remarks above about the black Mavic being prone to overheating concerns me, especially when the remark is also made that black is the worst radiator of heat. It isn't. Think of the little radiators that are used to cool transistors & electronic components down. What colour are they? Black. They're black because a dark surface is most efficient at both absorbing and radiating heat, so helps with cooling. Therefore I wonder if those Mavic's that overheat have some underlying problem?

Along the same lines, with the white Phantoms that overheat, a black coat wouldn't help. It would in fact make them prone to overheating by absorbing the heat of sunlight, along with the white inside of the case reflecting any radiated heat of the internal electronics back inside the body of the Phantom.

Therefore, going back to Mavic skin colour, I'm thinking of opting for a "reflective" tape as used on safety jackets etc. and only covering certain parts of the case - mainly sides and end. After all, how many of us see the Mavic from above? The underside has various sensors and is therefore not coverable.

Last edited:
Yup mavic is dark gray ànd phantom is also sold in aa black "obsidian" color its dark.... no overheating issues ....that matte black looks awesome on the mavic air .....it looks stealth...white is like every other drone...not really different....red is cool but the more I look at it the more it makes the air look kind of "toyish"

P.s. I don't think you guys have anything to worry about as far as overheating issues... the fan inside the mavic air is huge it's bigger than the DJI Spark and that thing got hot flying it in hundred degree weather ....also it looks bigger than My mavic pro fan, although different type of fan altogether....

White because it looks the least scary/intimidating to onlookers. Very important to have your bird identified as something friendly.

Was going for red, but ended up with a black one due to it being more available than the red one. Great color really; very cool looking.

Red, because it was the last one they had yesterday. I wanted red anyway, so it worked out. Hoping to do first flight today.

I purchased the red. Red happens to be a color on a few of my favorite sports teams. Also I don’t think there will be as many red out there, As black-and-white seem to be the most popular colors.
How long did it take for you to receive your MA? Also did you purchase it from directly from DJI

I got the black one because red looked like a bit of a fingerprint magnet. Didn't matter anyway since I then bought a black camo wrap to cover it up...

As for visibility, I velcro taped a strobon cree LED to the bottom of it, massively improved the visibility of the drone. The Mavic Air is quite a small drone, choosing colour for the purpose of visibility isn't going to help you much since even only 50 meters away it looks like a little dot in the sky.
How long did it take for you to receive your MA from DJI?

My first thought was to get the red, but Best Buy doesn't have any available, as of today. My main reason was because it's the most visible color (easiest to see).

Now I'm thinking about the white, since white on black is high contrast.

Most recently, I thought about putting hi-viz decals/skins on a white MA. Does anybody have experience with these? I saw some red reflective 3M tape, and fluorescent color tape. I was thinking to put shapes like stars or circles on the sides of the front landing gear (antenna), and some kind of shapes on the top, and the battery (bottom).

Comments???
The best is the red color. In the air, colors make no difference, but wait till your drone force land or crashes somewhere and you go looking, the red is the easiest to spot by far

I went white because the matte finish doesn't scratch as easily as others, it doesn't show dirt/fingerprints as easily, and it will stay cooler under tropical/desert sun. It's also less conspicuous than bright red or black. None of those things probably matter to much at the end of the day, but I figured I might as well optimize where I can.

White will reflect the highest amount of light and black will absorb the most light, so the black would technically be the hottest.
funny now that you mention it. the black one really does run warmer than the white. I had white one before I replaced it with black.

I got white, as I read it shows less fingerprints, which is something I quite dislike. But I have since wrapped it in a skin.
And the white is noticeable is some seams and the edge of the top cover really stands out. Black would hide bad installation of skins or edges without coverage would not be so noticecable.

I wanted the black one because it looked cooler to me, but they only had the white one (which would have been my 3rd choice) in stock so that's what I went with. In hindsight, I'm glad I did. I think it's a easier to see; at least, the one time I had it land out in a field, shortly after I got it (stupidly accidentally flew into some haze/fog and it got stuck, and I more stupidly didn't realize how to get it back at the time), I think I was able to track it down more easily than the black and maybe the red (though I haven't seen the red in person). I guess it depends where it lands; I don't plan on having to run through a field to get it again. Maybe I'll do a vinyl red stripe down the middle just in case.

Got Black as my Spark is White. I think black looks absolutely best on the Air.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oshgeo