DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic flies into side wall of bridge, uncontrollable whilst 20m away in direct vision. DJI takes no responsibility

If I were one of their fw engineers, I'd replicate this case as I'm not the first, and program it so it assumes the user is steering correctly. no obstacle detection, no gps assumption.

If I were one of their fw engineers, I'd replicate this case as I'm not the first, and program it so it assumes the user is steering correctly. no obstacle detection, no gps assumption.
A far more likely means of achieving victory is to use ATTI mode for this type of flying.

Some might find it interesting that a Phantom 3 would have switched to ATTI mode to avoid incidents like this one. Basically, the FC is saying to the pilot "I'm confused, you fly this thing". Every FW version got "better" at detecting situations where ATTI mode was needed. But, the false positive rate also increased. Towards the end it seemed that every day there would be an incident where the P3 would change to ATTI mode for no apparent reason.

When the Mavic rolled out a new strategy was used. Switching to ATTI was delayed or avoided by using the vision system in some cases. Compass related issues would be resolved using a few different strategies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kilrah and sar104
Hi,
My DJI died whilst flying under a bridge. it moved itself to the right instead of to the front, ignoring my commands, also ignoring my correction (Full throttle) to the left. whilst being very close to the drone. In all other cases it did not pose a problem to fly under a bridge in an urban environment nor a narrow tunnel without gps with strong wind effects, as can be seen here.
This is inconsistent behavior at best and crappy programming at worst. Pilot control should be leading at all times, and if GPS loss was such a problem, it could have defered my vector (direction+speed) from just before losing gps. This is my 4th mavic lost to their programming. The 3rd randomly took a plunge whilst stationary (reimbursed), the 2nd was losing connection within 400m range and not returning, the first suicided into a tree without my command right after takeoff.

Are there any alternatives out there with similar camera quality and portability as the m2p which is not DJI?

I have a video. showing my controls at the accident, an earlier, similar accident, and cases where the mavic was functioning normally.

Attached are the flight logs of my last flight + the flight before where it did not return to home when it was supposed to but went moving further from home.

i looked at the videos. Congratulations that you only lost 4 DJI drones. The one with people around on the ice is not allowed legally by the way, so DJI would brake a criminal law to remunerate for you for that.

i would not dare to fly so close to trees, or first look on my bank account if i can afford it. Beautiful videos, but they have a price tag... Please blame the pilot. Was it you? +je

My first drone (DJI Air) also had strange behaviour. Flying in open area without any obstacles, GPS signal could vary from 15 satellites to 6 and back to 15. This happened random. The drone was very unreliable to fly this way and I almost lost it when suddenly the GPS signal dropped to 0 (without any obstructions) and the drone started to drift away in the wind. The RTH function didn't work in a situation like that.
I returned the drone to DJI and their conclusion was a defect in the main circuit board. I received a new replacement drone.
Technology can and will fail sometimes.
Especially after three crashes, the electronics can have more issues incl mainboard... ??? +je

"if GPS loss was such a problem, it could have defered my vector (direction+speed) from just before losing gps."

This statement alone shows that you don't understand at all how your drone works. It's like saying your desktop computer should know to shut down just before your home loses AC power.

A lot of very wise pilots are gently trying to point out that you are responsible for a series of pilot-induced crashes and are not flying in safe manner. It's best to learn from these mistakes before you injure someone with a drone.

Hi,
Pilot control should be leading at all times, and if GPS loss was such a problem, it could have defered my vector (direction+speed) from just before losing gps.

Have you installed the DJI Mind Reading update?

Hehe seriously, the thing people expect of these drones just continually amazes me.

From the submitted video, Pilot has an affinity for flying in dangerous tight situations and near people. This is a recipe, and not one for success.

Reactions: AZDave
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe