DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mid-air BT-300 system shut down 'USB CHARGER ERROR' - HELP!

Why oh why cannot Epson address this problem? I have no over heating issues here in Perth winter 15-20 c. But I know when I get to Phuket in 3 weeks I am going to have multiple overheating issues and even blackouts. That is why I am keeping my updated Samsung 8+ at hand ready for a rescue when I lose sight of the bird in a BT 300 controller blackout.
Other than these excellent mods with fans all I can do is carry a small cooler pack with ice packs in it to hold the BT controller in while I change batteries on a MP or P4P v2.
When you've used the glasses a phone or tablet is absolute rubbish in the bright sunlight.
More bloody weight for a old bugger to carry around.
When are you guys selling your mod?
Count me in when you start selling :)
What happend to the cable issue? I am going to try the P4P v2 cable with a P4P v2 and MP? But I can test it unless I take it all into my local sauna which I don't think will go down well at my local gym.

Reactions: Opabob
I fly with MP and BT300 all the times, and MP RC always show charging sign to BT300. I got few times shutdown message with MP and MA, but MA happened quite a lot!

So I experimented further with a 4cm heatsink and fan. Made no difference to the overheat problem, however the back was cold but the touchpad was hot. It shut down after 15 minutes at 52C at an ambient 18C. It seems to be getting worse. Maybe the processor can't keep up with the demands of the current GO application or a component is failing. Anyway I have given up trying to improve this and am in the process of engaging Epson support with the expectation that I will return to Amazon for a refund.

I am so disappointed that we haven't had any comment here from the engineers. I love my Moverios but now find them unfit for purpose. I really hope they can fix this design defect. I will probably get a replacement to see if it is systemic or isolated to a specific batch, and to be quite honest I don't enjoy flying without them anymore - they are that good when working/reliable. If systemic I would have expected more posts and Epson to pull their fingers out or comment.

Now waiting to see how their after sales process performs.

David.

So I experimented further with a 4cm heatsink and fan. Made no difference to the overheat problem, however the back was cold but the touchpad was hot. It shut down after 15 minutes at 52C at an ambient 18C. It seems to be getting worse. Maybe the processor can't keep up with the demands of the current GO application or a component is failing. Anyway I have given up trying to improve this and am in the process of engaging Epson support with the expectation that I will return to Amazon for a refund.

I am so disappointed that we haven't had any comment here from the engineers. I love my Moverios but now find them unfit for purpose. I really hope they can fix this design defect. I will probably get a replacement to see if it is systemic or isolated to a specific batch, and to be quite honest I don't enjoy flying without them anymore - they are that good when working/reliable. If systemic I would have expected more posts and Epson to pull their fingers out or comment.

Now waiting to see how their after sales process performs.

David.

I am with you, David. I been using BT300 since last March. This overheat restart bug happened only in recent DJI GO 4 update, and it happened to both Mavic Pro and Air. Because I got BT300 for a year and this bug only pops out recently with current DJI GO 4.

This device is great to have but lag of support and has too much bugs especially in software side. So it is definitely not for novice user as there are too much problem between DJI and Epson. These two companies have serious issue cooperate together.

I just got my Mavic Air and BT-300s.

I took my first test flight yesterday - was a short flight and no problems.

I did my 2nd flight today and the glasses shut down on me! WTH! Thank goodness i was just doing some testing/flying close by and had good LOS...

Is there some solution to this??!! I am utterly shocked..... i love the glasses, but $700 for a piece of kit that can shutdown mid flight is unacceptable!

Perhaps someone can also answer this question: What is the proper configuration to hook this up?!

I am perplexed/ticked off, etc that I bought a $700 piece of kit that is "FPV Drone addition" and it didn't even come with a connection cable! The DJI micro USB cable that comes with it is way too short.... i bought an 8" micro USB to micro USB cable and it doesn't work... is the DJI connection proprietary? Further more.... why are there no insructions/manual anywhere to be found that tells you how to hook this up?!

I just got my Mavic Air and BT-300s.

I took my first test flight yesterday - was a short flight and no problems.

I did my 2nd flight today and the glasses shut down on me! WTH! Thank goodness i was just doing some testing/flying close by and had good LOS...

Is there some solution to this??!! I am utterly shocked..... i love the glasses, but $700 for a piece of kit that can shutdown mid flight is unacceptable!

Perhaps someone can also answer this question: What is the proper configuration to hook this up?!

I am perplexed/ticked off, etc that I bought a $700 piece of kit that is "FPV Drone addition" and it didn't even come with a connection cable! The DJI micro USB cable that comes with it is way too short.... i bought an 8" micro USB to micro USB cable and it doesn't work... is the DJI connection proprietary? Further more.... why are there no insructions/manual anywhere to be found that tells you how to hook this up?!

OK - might have found my answer.... i was connecting to the "main video port" (micro USB on the left side of the MA controller). Apparently, you should connect to the USB port at the bottom of the MA controller. I would presume you can use the same cable that came with the BT300 that is used for charging. This is labeled the "alternate video port" on the MA controller and I believe it does not provide a charge function - i believe this will solve the issue. Will test it out tomorrow.

Reactions: chuck1026
Hi Dave (I assume),

Welcome to our "Thread of Disappointment" with the Epson BT-300. I have been tied up with a consulting job for the last several weeks and not been around. I see that Davo101 has about had it with the heat issue. Its sad but he is correct. You cannot trust the BT's and Murphy says the glasses will crap out on you at the worst possible time. I hope Davo still has time left on his return so he can get his money back. And as Davo mentioned Epson is of no help what so ever. They will not even acknowledge us on this thread or my several emails. Very sad! I guess this is why DJI no longer is recommending or supporting the glasses. When I asked for help on the DJI site I was told by DJI to only use DJI approved equipment. I guess they may have split the sheets. Great idea but not quite ready for prime time.

The other day I was out flying and monitoring the temperature of the BT's. Outside air temp was 35C (95F) BT's 28C (82F) After 20 minutes of flying the BT's temperature increased to 53C (127F) way too HOT!!!!!. The BT spec claims operation up to 35C. I was not using a fan or any type of cooling what so ever. The BT's did not shut down but is was showing an OVERHEAT and the battery had stopped charging. At this point if I were to change batteries on the bird and restart everything I would have got the charger error and the BT's would have shut down.

Perhaps if there was a way to disconnect the internal battery on the BT's and run them from an external source we could reduce some of the internal heat. When operating with DJI GO and there is approximately 1200mA of current required. The DJI controller is limited to 450mA so the BT's battery must supply the rest. Approximately 800mA from the battery coupled with the heat generated by the CPU produces a lot of heat.

I was playing with a Peltier device. Basically it is a solid state cooling device. I have used them in medical equipment designs in the past. They can get cold enough to freeze water. Only major problem is take a lot of power to operate. The side with the heatsink and fan gets hot while the other side gets cold. The peltier is the white thingy between the 2 heatsinks. A fan is required the cool the heatsink. I was using a 12 volt peltier but running it on only 3.7 VDC. At that voltage it still draws 3.5 Amperes.

Anyway here is what I tried.0622180959.jpg 0622181001.jpg 0622181001a.jpg 0622181004a.jpg

It does work and keeps the temperature around 32-35C but one would have to carry a large battery to power the peltier device and I for one do not want to carry any more weight with me when I fly. The cold side plate in contact with the BT's gets down to approximately 18-19C but the thermal transfer between the BT's rear plastic case and its internal components is, at best, poor.

If I can find some time I would like to design on a all aluminum back cover for the BTs with peaks and valleys to contact all the heat generating components and provide a proper heatsink to the outside world.

The long solution remains with Epson and until it has been corrected I will only fly the BT's for no longer than 15-20 minutes. After that its back to a standard phone display. Perhaps a DJI Crystalsky is in order.

About using the other connector on the MA, If there is no 5 volts present the BT's will not see the data. I tried limiting the current using a resistor but still allowing the BT's to detect and process the data for video. It did help but not enough. The best possible solution for you at this point would be to add a small fan as I and several have done. It will help, but again, it is band-aid and to a total solution.

~Bill

Bill -

1) Thanks for pointing that out :) Yes - Its Dave - will update my profile.

2) It is certainly a bit concerning....... i'm on the fence now.... i like the BT300 as i could use them when i travel to also watch movies on the plane, etc... also, they are a lot more compact than the DJI googles.... I am hoping some solution comes up. I don't plan on flying beyond VLOS, so worst case, i would hope it just stops and i can take manual control to return it to home..... i haven't tried swapping out the BT300 with my cell phone mid flight, but perhaps should give that a go.....

3) I would assume the BT300 shut down is not necessarily catastrophic.... I've seen a lot of videos where the DJI app crashes mid-flight on phones.... even in the middle of a return to home. Having said that, i think most people just press the forward stick to keep it returning to home direction and then restart the app. I don't know if RTH is on aircraft onboard process or if it is requiring the mobile device to provide some logic. I would assume its onboard the craft.... you can fly completely manual without the mobile device.

All the above is with a caveat... i'm totally new to this.... so still learning.... i won't be flying very high or far for another couple of months, so hopefully i can nail this down before then....

The glasses are just too good for me to give up on them. When they work, you can see exactly what the craft is seeing.
I can take footage I can never take without them such as flying close to waves and stuff. With the new P4P v2 with ocusync, its just unparalleled and amazingly clear. And it doesn't matter how sunny it is or what ever time of day it is. Even at low light when you cant really take video you can ramp up the settings and see what the naked eye can not. Really it is a different world you see with what you get with any thing other device that is augmented and not total immersion.
In Perth at the moment at around 23 Celsius there is never an issue, I just keep them out of the sun. When I get to Phuket in 6 days the fun will start at 38c and 85% humidity.
I can't rig up like your awesome gear bmelody. As I have mentioned my only solution is two fold. I will always have a decent phone with all the latest updates on it. When I get the blackout at about 15 min in I will rip out the bt controller and stick in the phone, takes about 30 seconds, so practice. No need to reboot the drones r/c, P4, MA or MP. While flying with the phone (which is really crap) I will store the be controller in an ice pack inside a small soft cool wrap I have. Or even in anticipation between battery changes.
The solution is quite simple, there is a cable issue, using the correct cables is important. The battery on the bt controller is very good and vents at both ends and a micro fan shooting through the unit will suffice. A better, more efficient, low energy, low heat, cpu will cap it all. Problem solved, it is not complicated.
So rescue your product Epson, you have to have been working on this long enough. It is not rocket science.

OH Well after reading all threads BT300 is not for summer and place with hot weather. I had BT300 for more than a year, but this overheat shutdown is just happen recently. For me only two times luckily not in middle of flight. But I start to wonder is it a software issue instead of hardware. Can it be the latest DJI Go4 draw too much CPU power and cause the overheat?

I am sure you are right godiva92. Perhaps a combination of cable, hardware and software. But the over heating issue has been there from the release date of the glasses.
If it was an issue of software though I would have thought that DJI would have been able to address it. If the glasses worked under all conditions it would strengthen DJI drone marketing appeal.

I read some of the post so not sure if anyone talked about this.
Could it be that the controller cant push out enough power at some point and the bt-300 see some issue with the incoming power and turns off.

I tried something today and will try it few more times.
Adding a power back and connecting it to the controller. First connect controller to unit and then the usb to from the power pack to controller.

Last night I flew with my Moverio BT-300s, 2 batteries with Mavic Pro (DJI GO 4.2.14) - perfect flights. Wonderful! I love my Moverios.

Switched to Mavic Air. After 5 minutes of flying I get a message 'USB CHARGER ERROR' and a warning 'system shut down in 30 seconds'. Moments later the system shut down - mid-flight! I was VLOS so no problem RTH. Rebooted and tried again, same message and outcome after 2 minutes. I had 65% remaining battery in the BT-300s and the MA remote was at 98%.

Any thoughts?

TA!
I had the exact same error when I still own BT300 and MA. The MA eventually end up in the ocean but that’s another instant still related to BT300. All I can say is BT300 does not compatible well with Mavic Air, so for safely reason don’t ever fly Air with BT300.

I dont have the MA now but when I did I never had an issue flying it with the BT300.
Worked great.
I could not have got as close to the waves and safely without the glasses.
The only issue I have had with the glasses was is in high heat, high humidity and no wind. They used to black out on me mid flight. And it also did it with the Mavic Pro. After the first time it did this I was always prepared and had my phone ready to disconnect the BT300 and replace it with my phone.
However following upgrades of the Go 4 ap it has never blacked out on me.
Unless recent upgrades of the Go 4 app have caused a conflict with the glasses and the MA. I wouldn't know.

Last edited:
Does this apply to the BT35E glasses?

Does this apply to the BT35E glasses?

No it does not. The BT35E do not have the controller that runs DJI GO. The BT35E is a video only HDMI and requires a separate phone/tablet that runs DJI GO app and outputs HDMI to the glasses.

No it does not. The BT35E do not have the controller that runs DJI GO. The BT35E is a video only HDMI and requires a separate phone/tablet that runs DJI GO app and outputs HDMI to the glasses.
So to be clear are you saying if I was to purchase the BT35E that its the best option? as I have been holding out because of the problems with the BT300's. Also there not a lot of info out there on the BT35E's.

So to be clear are you saying if I was to purchase the BT35E that its the best option? as I have been holding out because of the problems with the BT300's. Also there not a lot of info out there on the BT35E's.

Hi Ken,

As long as you have a phone or tablet with an HDMI output along with the DJI remote controller , then yes. The BT35E would simply mirror (duplicate) what is on the phone or tablets display. The BT35E cannot control any of the features of the drone they are just an HDMI display.

~Bill

Hi Ken,

As long as you have a phone or tablet with an HDMI output along with the DJI remote controller , then yes. The BT35E would simply mirror (duplicate) what is on the phone or tablets display. The BT35E cannot control any of the features of the drone they are just an HDMI display.

~Bill
Thanks Bill.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78