DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mount Solution to the 5.5" CrystalSky

Thanks to TopQuark for providing a great mounting solution for the 5.5" CrystalSky. I am curious, did you design the product yourself? If so, I am confused as to why you cannot share the STL file. You mentioned that you would not share it because someone was going to sell them, but if you freely released the STL file then anyone could print their own or use any online printing service, and not force them to use ShapeWays. Anyone printing and attempting to sell them at an exorbitant price would not have a market.

Quick note about ShapeWays, I submitted a rush order for my mount and it took them 6 business days to produce and ship, longer than their non-rush order lead time. Customer service finally got back to me and did compensate me, but beware their processing times may lag. Of course, if people could get the STL file and print it themselves...

Anyway... I finally got my mount two weeks later, and I want to share what I found for USB cable (the 5" version):
USB 3.1 - A to C - 877.522.3779 - AngledCables.com

And thumbscrews:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A9NI050

The cable is JUST long enough so it doesn't leave any extra cable hanging around, and is angled to reduce the chances of it snagging on anything. Seems to be a high quality gold-plated cable, too (just make sure you unplug the side micro-USB from the RC, otherwise the USB-A port on the bottom won't work!). The thumbscrews are also just long enough to fully thread into the CrystalSky and secure it to the mount, have a slim head so they don't stick out too far, and have large diameter knurled head for easy installation and removal. I'm extremely happy with this setup.

Happy flying.

5596037352658291186.jpg

Reactions: csevengo
Going this route myself. Great idea. I may also try to improve a bit on this idea for weight purposes. If I do I'll post the STL file for everyone to use.

and thanks to @xak for the right angle USB C link. Even if it was WAY overpriced....couldn't find another one anywhere of that length and right angle. Wish it was a little shallower.

Reactions: olearys
Crystal Sky Mount for Mavic/Spark/Air by jrfarrar

Link to two mounts. A slim one and a fatter one. I also included a little "nub" for protecting the bottom USB port. You can easily cut it off if not wanted. This should at least get some of you 3D printing guys something to work with. I made the taller one first but after putting it on thought it would be nice to be a bit slimmer. Probably not going to be using the HDMI or USB A port on the SIDE but you will be able to get to all the buttons.

Oh and you should be able to still fit your Polar Pro cover if you remove the side tabs from it. That is why the mount tabs don't look symmetrical on the slim. I could modify the tall mount to have slots in the sides so it would fit better...but I'll be using the slim mount.

Last edited:
Reactions: xak and kika
Anyone got thoughts on the need for using a high speed cable to connect the CS to the remote. Eg USB 3.1 versus 3.0 or 2.0.
I’ve got an unresolved problem with videos macro blocking when replayed back thru my 5.5” CS. The same video on the micro SD card from the Mavic played on an external device (tv or laptop) is perfect.
I’ve tried 3 different cables but I’m not sure what speed they are

It would be really surprising if the Mavic controller was 3.1

Brand new to this forum and found this thread about a CS mount.
Has there been any talk of downsides to this mount?
It looks like it's exactly what I've been looking for.
Sorry fro resurrecting an old thread.

Brand new to this forum and found this thread about a CS mount.
Has there been any talk of downsides to this mount?
It looks like it's exactly what I've been looking for.
Sorry fro resurrecting an old thread.
It's all dependant on preference.

Downside would be very bottom heavy over balanced, , the screen is below the controller target rather than above, and you can't hold the controller naturally as the screen is in the way. You'd need too adapt to that.

Mavmount is nice, just over priced. The polarpro mount for the mavic is almost half of the mavmount
Yes, very different purposes. The mavmount adapter works with the spark, air, and mavic, and has a built in mavlock. Uses all pro camera standard 1/4th-20 threads. It's interchangeable with every device and you can switch those clamps out easily as your setup changes. It also can be mounted on a tripod. I use it as a free standing upright tablet holder on a table, to hold my led panels and as a camera table top 'tripod'. Just a different audience.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000