DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NEVER ordering from DJI again. Angry as hell

I've had a couple DJI direct first release drone kits get delayed in customs for awhile. Coincidentally they got delayed in customs in Alaska. Maybe it is worse now, but it is probably luck of the draw as to customs requirements at the port of entry.
We also cannot buy batteries easily. I have to have them sent to my daughter in Seattle and she sends them up. Amazon, BH…none of them will send batteries here. Sometimes DJI can … it takes special shipping for some reason. Maybe they go by ground in the lower 48.

I have ordered all 3 of my aircraft directly from DJI.COM.
5 years ago my refurbished P3P was shipped via UPS from California to Alberta Canada. No issues, no duty fees, or extra charges and it arrived in a week.
Recently (all within the last 6 months) I've had a total of 4 shipments that originated in China, arrived in Cincinnati, cleared customs, and arrived in Alberta Canada, all shipments arrived in 5 days! No issues, custom issues, duty costs, nothing. And this was from China, through the USA and then finally to Canada. All these shipments were handled by DHL.
I'm sorry for your troubles but your particular case seems very rare to me.

The fact that you are being asked to fill out an import form and provide your Social Security number raises some red flags. I have read that the USA has some distrust with DJI so they may be tracking who is buying their products and why. I don't believe this is a problem with DJI but rather a USA issue with their products coming into the country. Maybe Alaska is a focal point on their distrust?

I have ordered all 3 of my aircraft directly from DJI.COM.
5 years ago my refurbished P3P was shipped via UPS from California to Alberta Canada. No issues, no duty fees, or extra charges and it arrived in a week.
Recently (all within the last 6 months) I've had a total of 4 shipments that originated in China, arrived in Cincinnati, cleared customs, and arrived in Alberta Canada, all shipments arrived in 5 days! No issues, custom issues, duty costs, nothing. And this was from China, through the USA and then finally to Canada. All these shipments were handled by DHL.
I'm sorry for your troubles but your particular case seems very rare to me.
I’ve bought 5 drones from DJI and several small items. All was good except this and another drone that never got through customs and had to be sent back to Hong Kong and they Reshipped it by DHL. The shipment is now finally on the way but I will use the Amazon DJI web site or BH Video from now on.

My shipment has been held in Tennessee for the last week because they had to get me to fill out an import form and I had to provide my SS# which has never happened before. Last time it was turned around and then shipped by DHL taking a month longer than necessary. I assume everyone here does not have to fill out an lengthy import form. I will never order from DJI again except batteries are pretty much only available from them to ship to Alaska. SO ticked off.
Most companies only use DHL for international shipments. Could be the reason you had to provide your SS# and complete an import form. The shipment likely came from Hong Kong or possibly will need to go through Canada. Wondering if that is how they get around the Li-ion battery restrictions others mentioned.

My shipment has been held in Tennessee for the last week because they had to get me to fill out an import form
You initially wrote that your items were being held up in Tennessee. Any mail from Tennessee to Alaska is classified as Domestic mail and no Import forms are necessary. If you are dealing with someone is the USA, then you are probably dealing with some of the those "no-homework required, not-necessary to attend class, and diplomas are extended as a courtesy so everyone gets to feel good that their kids are high school "gaduates…"

Just a little bit more on my "soap box…" My niece who lives in upstate New York worked her butt off in High School. The school rewards those who actually do the work and attend class with GPAs of 4.0 plus (like 4.9 and they are discussing increasing the GPA score to 5.0…). In her high school the minimum score one can get is 55%, even if they do no work and do not even attend class and those "students" get GPAs of 3.0 plus. And the program that the school offers for those "student to excel" is turn in a few projects and those scores will be added to the 55% and they might even be granted a GPA of 4.0…

OK, I'll get off my soap box… Those DJI employees (if they are in the US might not even be US citizens and think that Alaska is a foreign country…), and probably do not know that Alaska is a state… Especially if "they think you can see Russia" from your front porch…

I had a problem a year or so with Fort Worth DJI and in recompense for their screw up, I was sent a Free Battery. Perhaps, if you call the right folk and explain (nicely now…) about the screw up, and ask them to make it "right" you also might get some Freebies…

My shipment has been held in Tennessee for the last week because they had to get me to fill out an import form and I had to provide my SS# which has never happened before. Last time it was turned around and then shipped by DHL taking a month longer than necessary. I assume everyone here does not have to fill out an lengthy import form. I will never order from DJI again except batteries are pretty much only available from them to ship to Alaska. SO ticked off.
I love ordering from DJI, never had a problem. Your issue is most likely not DJI's fault. My mavic 3 pro is on the UPS truck for delivery today just like DJI advertised when I would get it.

Reactions: LoudThunder
I just spent a few hours filling out US Customs forms to get 3 printing surfaces in from the Netherlands via FedEx . Which I still have not received over 6 weeks now. Thats the way it is. Possibly Homeland Security is being very careful.

As i noted for the all the shipments were doing for the UK there are a ton of new forms an information that I have to collect from the Clients to ship to them this all went into effect May 1 st .

There seems to be less privacy for these shipments now for the clients and more of a focus on who is getting what> / /

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain > Land on the Water and fill out tons more Customs Forms.

• Wow
just asking,is there a good reason to order direct from DJI I might be missing something,I have for years ordered from Bestbuy with no problems .Alaska is a state really don't understand import form thing , i have a friend in Jamaka I texted him to ask if he had any problem .he said never ,but then he only flys DJI stuff but never ordered from them

• Wow
Fire hazard on aircraft. There have been several cases of batteries catching fire in shipping. Both of those companies decided that lithium is now a ground-only hazmat item.
It will get worse, I'm sure. I believe it is Norway or one of the Scandewegian (that covers them all) countries that no longer allow electric cars on their ferries and there are some very long ferry boat rides up in those countries.

The ban started a number of months ago and will be a major blow to anyone who owns an electric vehicle. The fire risk is too great and from incidents that have happened, and probably kept on the quiet side, they won't allow these electric vehicles on board anymore. There are rumors that other countries will begin to put a ban on all electric vehicles travelling on their ferries.

If there was to be a fire, they state it would not be possible to extinguish electric car battery flames, from data that they have acquired from other electric car fires. Such an incident would likely cause all vehicles on board, to eventually catch fire as it spreads and the entire ship, crew and passengers, would then be in peril.

A lot of the same problems in Hawaii. Can not get lithium batteries shipped here. I have a Mavic 3 pro on the way.It is in L.A. and supposed to be here Wednesday. I have a job for it Wednesday twilight so I hope it gets here in time to at least test it once.

They have always shipped batteries of any kind by ground only.
Shipping by ground often isn’t an option to Alaska. The dogs get tired, I guess. They -could- ship by air as DJI does but it requires they jump through hoops including training and packaging with the proper stickers. It’s incredibly hard to get batteries for cameras, drones, go pro or any other thing sent to Alaska hence my circumvention by mailing to relatives Outside who then repackage and send to me. Pain in the rear.

NOT DJI's fault. Blame your state legislatures. Seems every state and feds are gunning for DJI.
Agreed. It is not actually DJI’s fault this time as it is a FedEx problem. Last time the shipment failed and was returned it was due to DJI not labelling the box with the proper stickers so as to get through customs with batteries. In either case, for Alaskans, ordering from DJI can be problematic. A friend ordered his Mavic 3 Pro at the same time I did and ran into no problem at all. It’s a crap shoot so regardless of whether the problem ends up being FedEx or DJI I will henceforth try to order from DJI’s Amazon store or B&H.

Is there any particular advantage ordering from DJI, when compared to other authorized detailers (e.g., Amazon, B&H Photo Video)?

If you order from Amazon, you get 30-day hassle free return, and 5% cash back with Amazon Prime card. If you live in one of the states with a sales tax, you can save on taxes by shopping on B&H with their PayBoo card. And I am pretty sure none of them ask you to fill out an import form or provide your SSN.

DJI offers none of these benefits. Last time I checked, they offer only 14-day return period, and 1% "shop reward".
I agree. I get all my drone stuff from Amazon. Most of my other stuff too.

They are generally fast and efficient, and there isn't a better returns policy in the business.

I'm coming through Juneau in July, if you want me to bring anything along. Then you could have Era Alaska bring it in for the last leg.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143